The Begging Bowl

donnaflynn

I'm aware that the BB is an inauthentic interpretation of Thai food (and indeed street food), but all this criticism leaves me wondering where in London people are getting decent Thai food? (anyone who replies "Thai Corner Cafe", or anywhere else that offers a "selection of fried starters" is instantly disqualified).

Probably the best Thai food I have had in London was in two caffs, one near Kings Cross and the other on the Cut behind Waterloo. Both greasy spoon places that had been taken over by Thai families. They kept on doling out the egg and chips but also did three or four Thai dishes each day - a curry, a stir fry dish, a noodle dish etc. When I was working near Waterloo years ago I had Thai curry for lunch three or four times a week.

Otherwise, a place called Talad Thai on Upper Richmond Road was always good, and one of the few places in London that served Khao Soi.

Years ago there was a place out near Uxbridge (I think) which just did North Eastern (Isaan) Thai food, that was great - a bit like Silk Road in Camberwell in only doing their region's food. Isaan food (ahaan Isaan) is my fave, fiery and tasty !

Outside the above places, my kitchen is where it's at for us.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion... but looking at your posting history carlos, I seem to disagree with most of yours!

For me, BB remains one of the few Thai places I've tried in London which is anything above bog standard. But would love to check out the places Dave and KK mention.

Although intrigued by BB but having not yet been, there's so much negativity about the place regarding proximity of tables, staff having to squeeze past, attitude and portions that I'd probably give it a miss. I love my Thai food but don't need to cop grief to get it.

I think the set lunch is good value. I popped in there with my son who's 7 and it was one of the nicest father and son lunches I've had round these parts. Sharing oysters and chips at Franklins being our other favourite. Also not disappointed by sharing a pizza at Il Mirto. Sorry veering off track now.

I liked the Begging Bowl a lot when I went (admittedly ages ago now). Couldn't fault the food or service.

Give it a go KK, I think you'll enjoy it. Its nothing like the cafe place at Waterloo (which I also love), but I wouldn't compare as its not like for like.

Sometimes I think the more choices of restaurant people have, the less they appreciate it (general comment, not aimed at you KK).

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Smoking Goat Soho

With an ex begging bowl chef?

I have no doubt it will be brilliant but I can't imagine the smoking goat will appeal to the BB haters in here...

This sounds familiar. Another begging bowl chef, Andy Oliver, was running a Thai BBQ pop-up at Bar Story last summer - which was pretty damn good.

Personally I love the food at the begging bowl... but if you want authentic, rustic Thai home cooking, then you've gone to the wrong place.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the set lunch is good value. I popped in

> there with my son who's 7 and it was one of the

> nicest father and son lunches I've had round these

> parts. Sharing oysters and chips at Franklins

> being our other favourite.

Flaming hell, wish my dad had taken me for chips and oysters when I was a nipper. Think he took me to Harry Ramsden's once - before he upped and disappeared...