New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham

Message added by Administrator,

Due to this topic being excessively long, a new 2024 "New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham" has been opened here. Please continue the discussion there.

Everything tastes 'a bit like' chicken apparently - I've heard that said of snake, some types of grub, etc. etc. That may just mean that much chicken is virtually tasteless - though that wouldn't be true of chicken eaten in the past, which was (unless you were very rich) mainly old layers now past it.

The flavour of meat known as Umami comes from the way it's cooked to achieve some colour which then in tern creates some magic called the Maillard reaction. This is what we generally think of as 'meatiness'. Even the best quality steak will have little flavour if not cooked correctly. Over wood or charcoal is a perfect way to achieve this flavour, oh and did I mention we sell wood and charcoal at our shop on Underhill Rd ;)

• 1 month later...

DuncanW Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So it looks like we have a much-needed new pizza

> place opening up in Peckham Rye

"Much needed" - I do hope there is a heavy sense of irony in this statement. If there's one thing we don't need more of locally, it's pizza places! Saturation point reached!

Louisa.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Chicken IS virtually tasteless, apart from leg and

> thigh meat.

>

> That's why it is used in Curries ... Tandooried

> ... coated in spiced flour and fried .. to give

> it flavour..

>

Chicken is only tasteless if it is cheap factory farmed rubbish.

More gently tongue in cheek tbh than heavy irony

I think the premises in question has been vacant and boarded up for quite a while, so would rather have a new pizzeria than that any day...

Louisa Wrote:

>

> "Much needed" - I do hope there is a heavy sense

> of irony in this statement. If there's one thing

> we don't need more of locally, it's pizza places!

> Saturation point reached!

>

> Louisa.

DuncanW Wrote:

> More gently tongue in cheek tbh than heavy irony

>

> I think the premises in question has been vacant

> and boarded up for quite a while, so would rather

> have a new pizzeria than that any day...

>

> Louisa Wrote:

> >

> > "Much needed" - I do hope there is a heavy

> sense

> > of irony in this statement. If there's one

> thing

> > we don't need more of locally, it's pizza

> places!

> > Saturation point reached!

> >

> > Louisa.

That's the old tile shop - better a pizza place than boarded up - although we do have a lot of pizza places.

There's still plans to built a block of flats behind the bus stop there too and the flats on the old car park on the corner is now built.

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Chicken IS virtually tasteless, apart from leg

> and

> > thigh meat.

> >

> > That's why it is used in Curries ...

> Tandooried

> > ... coated in spiced flour and fried .. to

> give

> > it flavour..

> >

>

>

> Chicken is only tasteless if it is cheap factory

> farmed rubbish.

That's not actually true. Factory farmed chicken are fattened up and Fat is what gives all meat and poultry its flavour. Although the process can be cruel.

Corn fed chickens have no fat and taste of corn not chicken.

If it makes you happy to spend ?15-18 on a Label Anglais with enough meat for 2 then so be it.

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Chicken IS virtually tasteless, apart from leg

> and

> > thigh meat.

> >

> > That's why it is used in Curries ...

> Tandooried

> > ... coated in spiced flour and fried .. to

> give

> > it flavour..

> >

>

>

> Chicken is only tasteless if it is cheap factory

> farmed rubbish.

That's not actually true. Factory farmed chicken are fattened up and Fat is what gives all meat and poultry its flavour. Although the process can be cruel.

Corn fed chickens have no fat and taste of corn not chicken.

If it makes you happy to spend ?15-18 on a Label Anglais with enough meat for 2 then so be it.

Not everyone has the money to shop at William Rose or the time to travel up town to the Ginger Pig.

or H.R. Parsons and Sons Walthamstow

Foxy

Does anyone have any clue what Swaddesh and the old laundrette will be? I think the Irish shop premises will be used by the cinema as expansion space but no idea about the other two.

Also, a librarian at Grove Library said the development across the road that will include flats, a new library and a retail shop has leased the retail space to M&S. Anyone else hear this?

The former newsagent's opposite the KwikFit is to be a nail parlour, according to the person working there. He nodded to the other nail parlour a few doors down but I did not know whether he meant that one would be moving to the new premises or just that it was going to be a separate one.

Also, the new shop next to the Polish shop near to Sainsbury's is going to be what?

i wonder if the council will just allow that nail parlour to open .It should've had planning permission, its a different usage to the newsagents .. and on a stretch that has its retail usages supposedly protected..