Petition re Dulwich Hospital site

samstopit

HenryB, do those parents have any idea how much is being done to address the historical shortfall? All the new places mentioned above will be delivered by 2016 so while I can understand why some may have anxiety around primary school admissions based on what happened over the previous few years, the situation really is likely to have been adequately addressed and should be very different from 2016 onward.

Hi Dulwich Born&Bred,

WE have discussed whether a new swimming pool would be possible. The new free school alone couldnt afford the running costs and the free school programme doesn't buy them. But talking to Southwark council leader he was interested in a join Southwark Council/free school swimming pool integrated with the health centre. Not a high chance of happening in my mind but definately on my/our/their agendas.

Hi LondonMix,

Camberwell also has a school places problems as does Peckham and most of what you've descirbed is designed to filfil their gaps. Perhaps you know this.

The other areas needs are included in the overall places required I quoted. Enough primary schools are being built and expanded in all of the areas around and including East Dulwich to meeteveryone's projected needs plus a surplus of 1.5 forms (i.e 45 places) compared to the upper end Southwark's projections for all of the areas mentioned. There is no projected shortage anywhere in the south of the borough that would justify the creation of yet another primary school in Dulwich where there is now a significant local surplus of places projected.

All remaining primary place need is in the north of the borough-- too far away from Dulwich to reasonably expect primary school children to commute.

Harris have announced their consultation into the proposed new primary school on the Dulwich Hospital site. The consultation document can be downloaded here:

http://www.harrisfederation.org.uk/26/future-projects/20/harris-primary-academy-nunhead

There will be 2 consultation sessions on 10th March, at Harris Girls Academy.

Make sure you respond and attend on the 10th March if you have a view as to whether we need this school and if so, where it might best be situated.

Bwahaha! I thought Southwark's consultation process was pretty bogus, but Harris take the biscuit. First two questions of the 'consultation':

"The aim of the new school is to prepare its children for happy lives and academic success. Do you agree that this is a suitable aim?

❑ Yes

❑ No

The new school will encourage children in work and in play, towards the traditional values of good manners, enthusiasm for learning and recognising right from wrong. Do you agree that this is a suitable ethos?

❑ Yes

❑ No"

This is not a consultation, it's pathetic PR.

This is the key question, which I will be answering with a big 'no.'

One of the next steps in establishing the new academy is for the Harris Federation and the Secretary of State for

Education to enter into a ?Funding Agreement?. This is a legal document that sets out the framework within

which the Academy will operate. Do you agree that the Secretary of State for education should sign a

Funding Agreement to allow the academy to open?

❑ Yes ❑ No

What a joke. This was supposed to happen before the application was approved, not as an afterthought. This is just a reflection of the fact that the process wasn't done legally and now that questions are being asked they have to do this nonsense. I hope everyone who signed the petition will take the time to fill out this consultation form.

We have been in the black hole between Goodrich and Ivydale for 10 years - 3rd child still cannot get into a local school. LondonMix, therefore I don't agree that primary places are being met over here with the expansions. Yes, Goodrich and Ivydale catchments will stretch a bit but certainly won't meet in the middle. Having said that, a school on E. Dulwich site to meet places in Nunhead is ludicrous. So I don't support the Harris Primary being on the hospital site. And odd nodal points.

I want to see the East Dulwich site for a secondary only (although it's probabably unlikely kids won't get in from here either, especially if Charter get in as they will be doing distance only from the site, Haberdashers are considering focusing east of the site to fill the gap and reflect the support for school). Many of us are sadly campaigning for this secondary school and will still not get in!

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that anyone would get into any specific school following the various expansions; but rather, there will be enough places within the existing primary schools for everyone to get a place relatively locally without schools having to bulge. Creating a school on the hospital site (which isn't a blackhole area) doesn't make life any easier for anyone who doesn't live near a primary school already. What's the point in asking people to commute from Nunhead to the hospital site, when there will be enough spaces in the existing primary schools in Peckham, Nunhead and Dulwich that they can already get in to?

The secretary of state would be remiss not to take into account the number of people who have signed to petition against the primary school being located on the Dulwich hospital site as part of the formal consultation.

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/s/school%20admissions%20code%201%20february%202012.pdf

This is the DFE school admissions code setting out how consultations should be managed. See page 16 for the following:

1.43 Consultation must last for a minimum of 8 weeks and must take place

between 1 November and 1 March in the determination year.

1.44 Admission authorities must consult with:

a) parents of children between the ages of two and eighteen;

b) other persons in the relevant area who in the opinion of the admission

authority have an interest in the proposed admissions;

c) all other admission authorities within the relevant area (except that

primary schools need not consult secondary schools);

d) whichever of the governing body and the local authority who are not

the admission authority;

e) any adjoining neighbouring local authorities where the admission

authority is the local authority; and

f) in the case of faith schools, the body or person representing the

religion or religious denomination.

Thanks Samsopit. Doesn't that govern consultation on changes to admission arrangements? What admission arrangement are being changed vis-a-vis the original application Harris made for the Nunhead school?

As far as I understood the free school process, the consultation for opening a new school was part and parcel of the initial application in which you evidence support for the specific school you are applying to open. The support a free school provider presents as part of the initial application to the DfE must be for the specific school proposed including where they intend to open, all the schools policies etc. Essentially the consultation and support the community has recently provided to the Charter bid and the Habs bid via the consultation you organised and leaflets and promotional material Habs produced.

This Harris consultation appears to be similar to that but is taking place 'after the fact' as the DfE has already approved Harris Nunhead (I notice the name has changed in the new brochure).

The guidance provided by the New Schools Network regarding what needs to be provided with the initial application is:

1. The text you have used in leaflets or other promotional material for prospective

parents (or students for 16 to 19) about the particular characteristics of your

school, this is to show that parents or students have made an informed decision to

choose your specific school;

2. a map which shows that potential pupils (or students for 16 to 19) live within

commuting distance of your school;

3. details on the extent of any current or forecast shortage (basic need) or surplus of

places in the relevant phase of education within the school?s proposed vicinity for

mainstream schools (or for 16-19 schools, supporting demographic data about the

numbers of eligible pupils and numbers of places if you can provide this); and

4. a summary of educational standards in local schools using Ofsted inspections or

other performance data to show that there is a need for a higher quality of

education in the area (or for 16-19 schools, you must provide a brief description of

the current provision in the area and why you will be offering something different

As you are part of the committee working on the Habs bid, it would be great to hear your insight into the free school process. My impression is that Harris Nunhead never did the original consultation (instead they used support for the original Harris ED application to create two schools) and are now engaging in a consultation after the fact now that Labour politicians like Renata etc. have questioned if the appropriate processes where followed when approving Harris Nunhead.

The purpose of the Harris Federation consultation is to satisfy the National Schools Commissioner, Mr Frank Green and the Regional Commissioner for this area, Mr Dominic Herrington that their proposed primary school for East Dulwich/ Nunhead will successfully meet any local demand for primary school places. It must also show that it has the support of parents, the wider community and relevant stakeholders. This must be done prior to the signing off any funding agreement. Please engage with the Harris Federation during their consultation period and ensure that you also copy in the office of the Regional Schools Commissioner for South East England and South London. Also your local MP, prospective parliamentary candidates and your local cllrs.

Details for the Regional Schools Commissioner

Dominic Herrington

Regional Schools Commissioner

South East England and South London

Department for Education

Sanctuary Buildings,

20 Great Smith Street,

London

SW1P 3BT

0370 000 2288

Email for his regional office.

[email protected]

From DfE Website:

Regional schools commissioners (RSCs) are responsible for making important decisions about the academies and free schools in their area on behalf of the Secretary of State for Education.

Their main responsibilities are to:

monitor the performance of the academies in their area

take action when an academy is underperforming

decide on the creation of new academies

make recommendations to ministers about free school applications

encourage organisations to become academy sponsors

approve changes to open academies, including:

changes to age ranges

mergers between academies

changes to multi-academy trust arrangements

RSCs get support from headteacher boards (HTBs). HTBs are made up of experienced academy headteachers who advise and challenge RSCs.

The current consultation that Harris is doing is being carried out under, if I have this right, section 10 of the Academies Act 2010, which states 'additional schools' - ie to the existing complement -

(1)Before entering into Academy arrangements with the Secretary of State in relation to an additional school, a person must consult such persons as the person thinks appropriate. .

(2)The consultation must be on the question of whether the arrangements should be entered into. .

(3)?Additional school? has the same meaning as in section 9.

Academy arrangements in this sense means the funding arrangement to open. The DfE guidance suggests that the 'appropriate people' should be those under the section of the Admissions Code that Samstopit has posted, which will be used for wider reasons, including changes in admissions arrangements.

As you say, Harris is beyond the original application, and it is extremely hard to see how they met those criteria for the intial bid. They are now in pre-opening, the DfE having approved the bid.

It's a standard statutory process that proposed schools have to do. Judith Kerr did it and publicised it on here widely. Harris ED didn't put it on here but I think I remember people linking to it.

Interestingly, the school themselves decides what the consultation has concluded. The only question they have no subjective assessment of is the number of people saying whether or not a funding arrangement should be entered into - presumably if the majority of the respondents say no, that does put something of a spoke in their wheel. Which is where the community's opportunity lies. That, and making clear the opposition to the new Regional Schools Commissioner, whose current role is to make recommendations on the new school to the DfE, as the Steering Group post above says. This is a new part of the process - before, there was nothing between the DfE decision and the school's own conclusions from its consultation.

DuwlichBornA&Bred--

I am copy pasting the consultation into a word document (takes about 30 seconds including reformatting) and then erasing all but the answer I wish to leave. I and my friends will then send that form via email to Jamie McFarlen [email protected] and copying in [email protected] as recommended above. It takes only a little longer but by creating a cheat sheet for the people I got to sign the petition with everything already set up, I'm hoping we'll be able to get a reasonable number of responses.

Dear Jamie McFarlen,

Below are my answers to the questions outlined to the statutory consultation Harris Federation has recently commenced for the opening of a new Harris Primary proposed for the Dulwich Hospital site. Please note that as this is being submitted electronically, instead of ticking the boxes on the paper form, I am writing my response at the end of the question.

? The aim of the new school is to prepare its children for happy lives and academic success. Do you agree that this is a suitable aim? Yes

? The new school will encourage children, in work and in play, towards the traditional values of good manners, enthusiasm for learning and recognising right from wrong. Do you agree that this is a suitable ethos? Yes

? We are very happy to provide wrap-around care before and after school and in the holidays if parents feel this would be desirable. Please let us know if this is a resource you would want us to provide. Yes

? The proposed admissions policy for the new school is set out in this document. Do you agree that it is suitable? No

? If the academy was to be located on the existing East Dulwich Hospital site how far would this be from your address and would you be prepared to travel to the academy site? 0.5 miles

? Prepared to travel? No

? When you apply for a primary school place for your child, you are asked by the Council to make a list of up to six schools you would consider. The higher up your list you put a school, the more likely it is that you will get a place there. How likely is it that you would put the new Harris Primary School as you first choice? not at all likely

? One of the next steps in establishing the new academy is for the Harris Federation and the Secretary of State for Education to enter into a ?Funding Agreement?. This is a legal document that sets out the framework within which the Academy will operate. Do you agree that the Secretary of State for education should sign a Funding Agreement to allow the academy to open? No

There is no need for an additional primary school in East Dulwich serving either East Dulwich or Nunhead. There is already a projected surplus of primary school places in East Dulwich from 2016 onwards of at least two forms based on official statistical analysis published by Southwark Council. This two form surplus can already adequately deal with the projected shortfall in the surrounding neighbourhoods of Nunhead, Camberwell and Peckham Rye to the extent that such projected shortages exist and the creation of another primary locally will undermine the financial viability of our existing primary schools.

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s47494/Report%20School%20Places%20Strategy%20Update.pdf

Moreover, the site requested is not appropriate as it is needed for a vital secondary school. There has been significant local opposition to the creation of a primary school on the Dulwich Hospital site as evidenced by the petition linked to below. As of today, 606 individuals in the community have clearly expressed their opposition this proposal.

https://www.change.org/p/david-laws-mp-don-t-squeeze-two-schools-onto-the-dulwich-hospital-site

Yours sincerely,

NAME

ADDRESS

DulwichBorn&Bred Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Since we can't do the form online how do we voice

> our unhappiness ?

> It's a joke as well as Harris Dulwich has replaced

> their headmaster and I saw adverts for a new

> teacher , they aren't even open properly in

> Dulwich and they already have a turnover of staff

> in one year .

An electronic version of the Harris consultation response document is attached.

If emailing it please send to [email protected] and cc Dominic Herrington the Regional Schools Commissioner: [email protected]

You might also want to cc your MP, local councillors etc.

Do add your views outside of the questions on the consultation document in your email.