Why are Pubs so expensive in ED?

Mikecg

I don't mind Weatherspoons, and think a lot of the issues people have with them are pure snobbery (although this will of course be denied). At the end of the day, it's McDonald's for beer drinkers, no one goes there for a full on night out, but a couple of cheap liveners at really really cheap prices is great!

I see nothing better in an O'Neil's, Allbarone, slug & lettuice, and so on...

Well the beer you drink in JDWs comes from the same breweries as that in other pubs. It?s just generally cheaper. So if you don?t mind/notice the crummyness of some of them then there?s no problem. Granted the food is crap but I have yet to have a burger in a pub, whether I?ve paid ?15 or ?5 for it, which has been any good anyway.

Personally I don?t mind some of them if I?m with a group of people just for drinks. I wouldn?t go for the atmosphere though.

trumantowers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> get down Hoopers. ?2 a pint on guest ales and is

> actually the best pub in east dulwich.

xxxxxxx

Get down Hoopers on Friday night and you'll not only have cheap and good ale but the legendary Wizz Jones doing two sets with his son Simeon as well :)

Hi,

Sainsbury's DKH have on sale 568Ml (pints) of Stella at a pound ! Its great getting a bargain if you can bear the blue rinse brigade and the 40+ year old mums that leave the trolley's in mid aisle or stop to bloody well yap.

Carers still here, not gone yet.

Regardss,

Libra Carr.

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Except it's not in ED.

>

>

xxxxx

Hoopers is a stone's throw from Goose Green/Lordship Lane - may not have an SE22 postcode but Ivanhoe Road is a hell of a lot nearer than many places which do!

At least for those of us living in the North Cross Road area!

:)-D

Edited to say: And a more pleasant space to have a pint than many of them, plus more choice of ales.

Grrr if you want the "FISCAL BONES" invest some time and gnaw on this.............or sh*t up & drink up......Woof

You would expect the current economic hardship to drive more people to drink. Not so, according to new figures out today, which show a record fall in beer sales in the UK

The British Beer and Pub Association (BBPA) says quarterly sales in supermarkets and off licenses have now fallen for the second quarter in a row, down by 6.5%. Today's data compares to a 3.8% rise in off-trade sales in the three month period from April to June.

Beer sales in pubs, bars and restaurants also fell further, down 9.9%, equating to 1.4m fewer pints every day.

Total beer sales, through both the off-trade and the on-trade, fell by 8.3% in the quarter, the highest fourth quarter fall since records began in 1997. In total, beer sales for the whole of 2008 fell by 5.5% with on-trade sales down by 9.3% and off-trade sales down 0.2%.

With pub closures escalating to nearly six a day, the sector even seems in need for some state help along the lines of the banking sector. But rather than helping the industry, the government seems to be adding to the misery.

BBPA, which represents the industry and heads the 'Axe the Beer Tax' campaign, blames part of the decline on last year's 18% rise in beer duty and calls on the government to cut tax in this year's budget.

"Due to the government's tax escalator and VAT policy, we are facing two further tax increases this year alone. By the 2012 Budget, the tax on your pint of beer will have increased by up to 40% from February 2008," said BBPA chief executive Rob Hayward.

The UK's two largest pub operators, Punch Taverns and Enterprise Inns, saw their share price collapse over the past year on falling sales and high debt burdens.

Punch, whose estate is mainly leased pubs, saw its share price slide 94% year on year, while Enterprise, whose pubs are all tenanted, lost almost 90%. Both companies have stopped dividend payments at the end of last year.

Elsewhere in the sector, Marston's, which has the advantage of a number of managed houses, has seen its value shrink by 63% on the year, while Mitchells & Butlers is down more than 55% and Greene King down 51%.

Grr Phew....I need a beer after that lot.......pant.....X x x

sorry mike but the smoking ban is the best decision this govt has made. It makes a real positive difference to the pub experience for me. It has also helped some friends to give up smoking. The real reason the pubs are suffering is that people are happy to drink at home but pub should pick up in summer when people make the effort to get out in the better weather.

>Posted by: Mikecg

Bring back smoking in pubs! there is the real problem the Smoking ban.........<

GRRRrrr Get a grip Mikeciggie...specially at 2 in the morning

Bring back smoking, that was the problem in pubs....it was killing the customers off ...slowly but surely,next we need to ban smoking in all public areas( don't worry you can still do it in your car/home in private) then pub gardens would smell of flowers and nice things not Marlboro sh*tes.........Im sue mic mac & other humans would agree......YOUR DAYS ARE NUMBERED CIGGIE BOY.....come on put 'em up....that's if youv'e got the breeeeeeath ca ca....splutter to......

GGGrrr Snrllllllll wooooooff ..

As a smoker, I actually think the ban has generally been a good thing. I just wish that all pubs would provide a little shelter area outside. I have no stats to back this up, but of all the people I know, the smokers are the people who will drink most and spend most in the pubs. If I couldn't even go outside for a smoke, I simply wouldn't go to the pub, as beer without fag just doesn't work for me.

Remember you've only recently got married, Keef.

That's step one.

The fags will be next go, followed friends deemed 'a bad influence', and leading inevitably to demands for a baby. In any case, you'll be so busy with an endless DIY snagging list you'll barely have time to smoke.

Soon it'll be country walks, Ikea every other weekend.. and then suddenly.. BOOM.. you're dead.

I wish the pubs would provide table top extractors outside.....I have seen these in Holland...very cool....then even I could stand out there with the smelly toxic people..........Phew wee......you smell !!!

Grrr woof Sneeeeee Heeeeeeee

More iron fisted legislation please from Gordon & his morons would be very good...poor ol' smokers are like incontinent people...they do it anywhere....