Lager Lager Stella Artoris

Mick Mac

"I think one of the reasons I've got on with the whole "craft" beer thing is that the American style ales are a lot more flavoursome than most lagers, but still keg (i.e. chilled and carbonated) so just as refreshing as a lager. "

yup - definitely my entry point as well.

Of course price of those beers then prompted me to try older-school ales and whereas I used to pay between 4--5 quid for apint, these days I'm paying just over 3. Bonus

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Of course price of those beers then prompted me to try older-school ales

Me too, but 50% of the time they taste like dishwater to me. Going for ones labelled "summer", "golden", "hoppy", etc does seem to filter out the worst of them though.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Me too, but 50% of the time they taste like

> dishwater to me. Going for ones labelled "summer",

> "golden", "hoppy", etc does seem to filter out the

> worst of them though.

Will have to try this tactic. Because I've generally had the dishwater, which is why I stick to my tried and tested lager.

> 50% of the time they taste like dishwater to me

I have the same problem but mostly find it's down to dirty pipes and pubs not knowing/caring how to store their beer properly rather than the beer itself.*

Not that I'm down the pub that much these days, alas.

* Not to discount the possibility that you just don't like it of course, in which case fair enough!

Corona and Sol taste of nothing. Like, actually nothing. You have to drink them icy cold and stick a lime in to find it even palatable. Bonkers.

I'll drink a lager from time to time, mainly when the temperature rises, but I'd challenge even regular drinkers to tell the difference between the major brands. The only difference between Fosters, Carling, Carlsberg etc is marketing. A good pilsner can be pretty decent though. The Brick House micro-brewery in Peckham do a good one.

And just as cheap mass prouced lager is crud, so is the ale equivalent. Anywhere serving John Smith, Boddingtons or Tetley smoothflow should be avoided like the plague. Yet travel 200 miles north to Yorkshire and genuine hand-pulled, well kept Tetleys is a thing of beauty and joy. It converted my missus to ale drinking.

Blue Moon is a slightly sickly imitation of a proper belgian wit, but it's far from the worst beer ever.. I'd probably go for that over a corona/sol type of thing.

But speaking of Mexican beer... negra modelo is really quite acceptable IMO. Not tried any "obscure" mexican beers, apparently there is some quite reasonable stuff out there.

david_carnell Wrote:

> I'd challenge even

> regular drinkers to tell the difference between

> the major brands. The only difference between

> Fosters, Carling, Carlsberg etc is marketing.

I honestly think I could pick the Heineken from a selection including the likes of Stella, Grolsch, Staropramen (sp?) and the like. (you drink enough of it...)

Doubt I could pick between Carlsberg and Carling, but reckon I could spot the Fosters (the worst of the bunch IMO).

Er if anyone wishes to sponsor this highly scientific research, I am a willing guinea pig. The things we do for the furthering of mankind.