Crystal Palace or Brockwell Park for fireworks?

Juness

Lambeth claim they are charging as a crowd control measure-security, stewards and police are dreading it. I stewrded Southwark park last year (am again tonight) strongly urge you to there early-last year we had to delay as so many thousand turned up from 6-30 onwards and gates can't cope-this year I understand that if people turn up late they will miss it

The Display last year was the best ever.

But then there was the usual 1/2 hour + to get out of the park.

The charging policy may well reduce numbers attending. Although how will they stop

people watching from the road. So might back-fire (see what I did there) on the authorities

and cause more problems with the traffic.

People may well turn up not realising it is paying event.

I only knew by reading it on EDF.

Could be chaos.

DulwichFox

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think it's a real shame that you now have to pay

> to go to Brockwell Park.

I don't personally.

Had terrible experiences trying to get in there in previous years, would much rather pay ?7, have it less busy, and get more entertainment for my money.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > I think it's a real shame that you now have to

> pay

> > to go to Brockwell Park.

>

>

> I don't personally.

>

> Had terrible experiences trying to get in there in

> previous years, would much rather pay ?7, have it

> less busy, and get more entertainment for my

> money.

Doesn't make it very inclusive, does it?

?7 is a lot of money if you're unemployed or on other benefits. Or on minimum wage.

We never had trouble getting in and getting a good view, you just had to get there about half an hour before the start.

Getting out, however, was a different matter .... and must have been particularly scary if you were a small child in the crush.

ETA: And the new charge doesn't seem to have been very well advertised - I only found out by chance from a post on Facebook.

Perhaps not overly inclusive, but it's not like the local authority have to put fireworks on, and with the pressure that LA's are under financially, you could argue that spending a fortune on a fireworks display is not a good use of resources. And those on benefits can always go to Blackheath or Southwark Park can't they?

Believe me, I am far from well off, but I don't think ?14 for me, the wife and our two girls (under 16s go free but need to have a ticket) is bad for an evening out. And still cheaper than Crystal Palace who have always charged for as long as I can remember.

Plus at Crystal Palace you just get fireworkd, Lambeth are doing fireworks, bug bonfire, laser light shows and a mechanical firebird and disco turtle (whatever the hell they are), and finally, a human catherine wheel, which sounds interesting...

I have made a point of avoiding Brockwell Park after last time I went (probably 4 years ago), we got there in plenty of time got off the train about an hour before kick off), but it was a total bottle neck in to the park, and we missed most of it just trying to get in.

?7 wouldn't buy you an hour in the pub these days, so it really doesn't seem too bad to me.

Didn't queue at all to get in, wondered over to the bonfire which was pretty cool.

Worst bit was trying to negotiate all the queues for the food stalls even though we weren't in one.

Organisation in terms of where to go for each bit (bonfire in one place, "Lords of lightening" elsewhere, and fireworks elsewhere again) needs improving.

BUT, it was the best display I've ever seen and I'm well glad I spent my ?7. Obviously I've not seen others tonight, but it wiped the floor with anything I've seen in previous years at Blackheath / Crystal Palace and elsewhere.

Highlight for me was during the song "happy" looking up and seeing smiley faces in the sky. God knows how they pull that off.

It was excellent. We got there for 6pm, walked straight in and were no queues for bars or food places. Not bad choice of food, good booze-meantime meantime had a couple of stands, also mulled wine and cider alongside a large standard bar.

Got busy about an hour later so glad we got food and drinks earlier. Fireworks were fantastic, getting out was no hassle. 40 minute brisk walk back to the flying pig for a pint.

WELL worth the entrance fee.

I think it's right that services take priority over entertainment when it comes to budgets. If you really can't afford it, you can always go to another display or watch from the road even.

Unfortunately lots of things in life aren't inclusive...

Firstly I agree with all Otta said pre show. My last time at BP was the year before last, after many years of attending, when I didn't enjoy it at all as too crowded; trees were in the way and the music too loud/not suiting the fireworks. Last night was an all together different experience and myself, my husband and two friends had a fantastic evening. Straight in with pre bought tickets, where I'd also printed off the time slots of the entertainment, and then the map from the link I posted so we knew what was where. Yes I queued for food but not too long, only to be expected as such with lots of people not having time to eat before all turning up en masse.

The Lords of Lighting were thrilling

, the Human Catherine Wheel good but on late and so were the fireworks but well worth it, they were absolutely amazing with an excellent sound track. We were near the front and had plenty of space, it may have been different further back as I think people might have thought it was already packed at the front. My only issue was when they were telling people to get out of the 'exclusion zone' or they would delay the show which was unfair. For the people who got to see it for free from there good luck to you, I lived on Cressingham Gdns Estate for 7 years and you'd know where the park bars are bent to gain access! A thought is maybe Lambeth could have a ticketed free entry part over that side for people who can?t/don?t want to pay for the other entertainment but I?m so glad we did. I felt like I was at a festival for 3 hours  The only disappointment we had was we went to see the bonfire afterwards but it had already burnt down. We saw the mechanical bird going around and had a dance in front of the Disco Turtle which was great fun, we left under the full moon when it closed and went home very happy indeed.