Which Santa's grotto would you recommend?

hosky

We went to the Horniman last year and, whilst we were pleased it was only ?8, it was pretty basic. Santa himself was fine but his grotto was certainly embracing the trend for all things minimal.

Has anyone been to one they would recommend?

We've been to the whippersnappers one in Dulwich Park twice & really enjoyed it - much more than just seeing Santa, the whole team are in character and give it a really magical feel. Get to see a reindeer, decorate a gingerbread man & get face painted as well as gift from Santa included in the price.

I was disappointed with Horniman last yr too. No element of surprise. Two staff with a clipboard checking off pre-booked names and time slots and 'Santa's over there'. Have been up to Selfridges a couple of times. One year the entrance fab another a bit dull but loads of time with Santa in a small group and he fab at dealing with kids and parents. Probably pre booking now.

Agree r.e the Horniman. Went last year and considering it was in the beautiful pavilion, they could have made a real effort to make it beautiful, but as it was, they plonked a wooden shed at the end with a far from enthusiastic Father Christmas in it. When we arrived he was putting on his fake beard in full view of the children and made no effort to ask any questions. We were in and out in a minute. All in all, very disappointing for such a family focused venue. I too would be interested in any other fairly local recommendations.

Why go all the journey to Selfridges when you can go to this side of the woods to get the same experience? Suppose I'm biased as remember the time my Dad took me and my sisters to Selfridges for Xmas 1974. It wasn't a very good day as my Dad ended up trying to get us all out of Selfridges in a crush situation because of a bomb scare. I can remember my green flared trousers and my Dad having one of my sisters on his shoulders!

We go to the Santa at winter wonderland in Hyde park. It is free and if you arrive for it opening at 10am the qui isn't too long, lovely grotto, great Santa in really lovely suit ( real beard) really does loom the part and it's free. They don't get a present but usually a bag of coins or some choc. They take a pic which you can buy but they don't stop you taking your own so no obligation to buy the lovely morning on the kiddies Christmas rides.

I would definitely recommend Ruxley Manor www.ruxley-manor.co.uk but not local (Sidcup). Really good value for money, probably a bit like whippersnappers in that it's more than just a grotto. They also have reindeer and an ice rink etc