Ed Warehouse (what's happening?)

There's loads to go to Nunhead for, besides Ayres, with their wondrous Viennese fingers. The fishmonger, Sopers, is brilliant, and MUCH cheaper than Moxons. Bambuni has some interesting stuff, and the tiny Italian pastries in there are great with a cup of coffee. The new Beer Shop is getting great reviews. I love a trip over there.

I second that re Sopers. Still not cheap but more reasonable and much, much better than Moxons.

Laughing at the inverted snobbery about expensive loaves. When they are good, they go much further than a sliced loaf of mass produced bread and are infinitely nicer. I wouldn't buy them all the time but they are a treat worth having now and again.

I don't think its inverted snobbery. I think it's common sense, and typically London. This is why people in poorer parts of the country laugh at us down here, ?4 on a loaf of bread. Some folk struggle to put food on the table full stop and people are buying loaves in ED at 4 quid a pop. Unbelievable. I also love Sopers been there for years highly knowledgable and in terms of value beat Moxons hands down.

Louisa.

It is not a good world where there are people who can afford a ?4 loaf and those that can't - and I will stand with anyone trying to make a world where everyone has the same choices that I have.

But, as I am lucky enough to be able to afford that extra, is it not better that I am spending it with a local business who will employ extra people at the new bakery? Rather than giving it to Mr Sainsbury/Tesco/Lidl (insert your supermarket of choice) where it will just mean another loaf on the automated production line in some bread factory (they are not bakeries) - that will not employ another person whether they are making 100,000 or 200,000 loaves - and it's and extra few pennies in the shareholders pockets?

I know this is probably reading a bit too much into the purchase of a loaf of bread - but if I am acting in a way that harms society as a whole - I do want to know so that I can make a better choice.

(I can't believe I've been stupid enough to put my head over the forum parapet over the price of a loaf of bread!).

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes. It's not the same product.

I've just sampled it and it is good. As good as some others and better than Ayres. And cheaper.

and I have tried many sourdoughs and made my own from my home made Rye Sourdough Starter.

The problem is that people seem to believe that if some thing is twice the price it must be better.

Especially if they feel they can afford to eat something that's off limits to others...

Would they feel happy about paying extra / double for their petrol.

Would it make their cars run better. ??

DulwichFox

Fox I think that is exactly it. Why would you knowingly pay more for the same/similar quality product? Surely that goes against the basics of economical prudence? I pose the question, is it because 'some' people want to pay more to feel better about themselves? Is it to look down on others? Is it to support local business? Is it all of those things and other factors too?

The petrol example is a great one. No-one would visit a local indepedent garage and pay more for the petrol if shell, BP and the like up the road did it for less? So I struggle to understand even with a a totally open mind why anyone would want to do this for bread? It's genuinely confusing to me.

Louisa.

"The problem is that people seem to believe that if some thing is twice the price it must be better.

Especially if they feel they can afford to eat something that's off limits to others... "

Foxy, you've said this one way or another so many times, but the only evidence seems to be that there are some things that other people want to buy, but you don't. That doesn't quite cut it, it seems to me. The 'problem', if there is one, is that not everybody agrees with you, and it's easier for you to say they are snobs or idiots than to stop and think that they may (by their own judgment) be right.

'The problem is that people seem to believe that if some thing is twice the price it must be better.

Especially if they feel they can afford to eat something that's off limits to others...'

I'm sorry but this is a very sad comment. Do you honestly think people go and buy a loaf bread so they can gloat that it might be too pricey for other people? Fags are about ?8 a packet. That doesn't seems to stop people from all over the country, rich or poor, chuffing them down by the bucketload.

Maybe smokers are gloating looking at me as they spark up in the belief I can't afford their stinking cigs?

Yes the petrol one is interesting..

I had a shop at 13 Uplands road back in 1993..

A guy came in and asked for 20/50 Motor Oil

I had some Motor Oil for sale at ?4.99 per gallon..

He said he would not put that crap in his car.. and would I be getting any more in.

Yes I said. come back tomorrow.

I increased the price to ?6.99.

He came back and bought 4 cans.

It was the same oil.

You see nothing has changed.

I simply did not have what it takes to rip people off.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I've just sampled it and it is good. As good as

> some others and better than Ayres. And cheaper.

I'm sure it's fine. I'd probably buy it too, given the two options side by side! But that's not really my point... the two breads come from different manufacturers, the ingredients and methods are not identical, they will inevitably taste a bit different. If someone thinks the Brick House bread tastes twice as good, who are we to say they are wrong?

Nearly all supermarkets sell 'sourdough' bread now. And a lot cheaper than local craft bakeries.

Why? Because they are tapping into a market for aspiration. And because, as has been said by others, it is not the same product. It's not a protected name so anything can be strictly labelled as such without comeback.

It's not the same product.

Read Andrew Whitely's Bread Matters to learn about modern mass production techniques and the quality of flour they use and then come back to me.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> You can buy a very servicable loaf in Boulangerie

> Jade for ?3.

Good bread too but the Barry Rd branch is cheaper.

Cheaper still is the French guy at the Peckham Cart Project in the Aylesham Centre - in partnership with the South London 'Flour Power City' organic bakery he (and his son) sell sourdough, wholemeal, rye etc. at ?2.50 a loaf.

https://www.facebook.com/PeckhamCart

Some people burn cented candles

Some of these cost a couple of ?'s

Some cost ?30 +

I know, ?30+ for a candle, only to set fire to it

What a crazy world eh !

And cars, with four wheels. Some way more costly than others

Why not all cars roughly the same price

Like houses should be, no matter where thay are

And pizzas and curries and haircuts and just about any UFKING else, which is the same, but actually not

God christ, the usual suspects hacking on and on, just to kill the life out of anything they see as upsetting thier trvial f ucking tragic micro world

Jack Dee of the forum? Oh god help us

JACK DEE IS ACTUALLY FUNNY/INTERESTING