A Short Trip Through East Dulwich '98.

Jah Lush

Shame no footage of North cross or lordship lane, I particularly would like to see gateway/bejam in their prime and also the little art shop (kisar) and Binnester toys (now mon petit chou?). Also fond memories of the Foresters before gentrification and before the pub chains took it on.

Louisa.

JOHNNYBOY Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi everyone, I made this film, I was driving and

> my wife was filming, so I can assure everyone this

> was filmed in 1998. We used to live in one of the

> Prefabs in Underhill Road from 1953 to 1970, in

> 1998 I took my Dad back to East Dulwich for a trip

> down memory lane.

>

> All the best, John Chinery

Hi John, when I was a small kid my mum used to go and visit (and take me with her) an old lady from church who lived in the Underhill Road prefabs (assuming you mean the ones near Friern, which are now allotments). Just asked her and the lady's name was Deana Webb (not sure about spelling). Think she was on her own by then, but her husbands name was George Webb. Do you remember them?

Louisa Wrote:

Also

> fond memories of the Foresters before

> gentrification and before the pub chains took it

> on.

>

But it was vile!

The smell from the gents hit you as you walked in the door!!

ETA: Before anyone says it, yes I mean the bogs not the customers :))

I liked it too. I think it waqs only really in it's last couple of years that it became home to a particular crowd who had pretty much been barred from everywhere else, and then it was a place I avoided (having had the odd run in whilst growing up). But have some good memories of playing pool in there with my sister.

Pretty much every thread on the first page is about things that are happening now, except this ONE. Just don't read it if it bothers you.

I for one enjoy good memories, whilst also living in the now and thinking of the future for my kids.

eliz01 Wrote:

> There's too much about the past on this forum.

> Let's talk about now and what's to come. It's

> really exciting around here.

Start a thread of your own then. One about now, what's to come and how excited you are about it.

Don't think there's anything grumpy about someone telling you to contribute to a thread about something that excites you, rather than telling people on this thread what they should and shouldn't get excited about! No-one is forcing you to take part here are they?

Louisa.

• 1 month later...

Louisa Wrote:

> Shame no footage of North cross or lordship lane,

> I particularly would like to see gateway/bejam in

> their prime and also the little art shop (kisar)

> and Binnester toys (now mon petit chou?). Also

> fond memories of the Foresters before

> gentrification and before the pub chains took it

> on.

>

> Louisa.

Binester toys!! We moved here in 95 & started having children shortly after - I spent a lot in Binester toys and was sad to see it go (not as sad as I was to lose Woolworths - still in mourning - but that's a whole other thread sure.

I remember the way Northcross Rd suddenly got trendy. First the Arterie, then Mel at the Blue Mountain, and finally Rose At Grace and Favour, she opened virtually same day Blair became PM. Used to love G&F, she did really good cakes in the early days, when she was just a cafe with a few bits for sale.

Loved this and thank you for posting. Moved here in 1994.

Loved the glimpse of the prefabs on lordship lane. last one still surviving and his stupendous garden makes so many people smile passersby and from the top of the bus.