Cherry Tree

Millhaven

I think the point is plain. But, if it'll help..

This country's populace has such low aspirations in food that Wetherspoons (goddamit, Wetherspoons) is the FIFTH most popular breakfast destination.

You really didn't get the point or just like it being spelt out for you ?!

I think this bit at the end of the piece is interesting, relating to how they potentially fulfil a need regardless of aspirations.

(The loss of the pub is routinely bemoaned, as a place of community)

"The chain is now the nation?s fifth-most-popular place to have breakfast. Its accessibility in terms of price makes the march of ?Spoons? seem inevitable, particularly in a world in which public space is ever-shrinking: it lines its pubs with books while libraries are closing, and competes with supermarket beer prices while offering more company than a living room or kitchen.

Winning the breakfast war maintains Wetherspoons? existence as a kind of unofficial public space. How sobering you find that reality depends on whether your glass is half full or half empty. And perhaps how many of them you?ve had."

With a Wetherspoons in Forest Hill and one at the Fox on the Hill 10 min walk from ED.

can't see the need for another one.

I have been a CAMRA member for 30+ years but due to decline of decent ale in E.D over past years

sadly have resorted to drinking mostly lager. I'm ashamed to say...

...However things have improved greatly in recent years and I feel the need to re-educate myself..

Not a fan of so called craft beers. There seems to be a trend towards who can produce the strongest ales

and I prefer to drink quantity and Ales at 12% is not for me..

Getting ridiculous ....

A British beer, containing 68% alcohol, has been officially named as the world?s strongest.

The aptly named Snake Venom, which costs ?50 for a 275ml bottle, states it is 67.5% alcohol by volume (abv) but Trading Standards tests have found it to be 0.5% stronger.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britain-sets-new-record-worlds-3818060

Some Old Favourites :-

Hook Norton, Shepherd Neame, Brain's, Adnams, Brakspear,

Everards, Marstons, Theakstons, Thwaites, Jennings..

DulwichFox

And a shout out for Clarkshaws and Brockley for 'normal' strength beer too. I think ED is served pretty well for real ales, Foxy - and a greater range than I can think of twenty years ago, even excluding the strong IPAs, chocolate stouts etc etc.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I have been a CAMRA member for 30+ years but due

> to decline of decent ale in E.D over past years

> sadly have resorted to drinking mostly lager. I'm

> ashamed to say...

>

> ...However things have improved greatly in recent

> years and I feel the need to re-educate myself..

Too right you fecking do! FFS DF are you not a regular in the EDT? Take a look at the amount of fine ales they now serve in that fine hostelry, around nine pumps last time I counted, with different guest ales every week. The Ivy House is another superb venue for ales. Have you not been to the superb Beer Rebellion? Jeez! Most pubs have more choice of well kept ales than ever these days and you say you've had to resort to drinking lager! Pathetic.

I like quite a few ales, Late Knights do some fab ones. But I don't resort to lager, I bloody love lager, and I'm not too cool to admit it.

People should be able to choose the things they like be it beer, food, bands, or whatever without being told that something else is better. Especially when a lot of the muppets waxing lyrical about ales don't come across as entirely believable, but more just drinking it because it's the in thing right now.

• 2 weeks later...
Cherry Tree are now charging ?5 a pint of Moretti. Shame, it's my nearest pub and although it's a bit shit, it was our go to pub for a quick pint or two and a whinge after work. I won't be going back though that is a rip off. Custom lost.

phobic3000 Wrote:

Cherry Tree are now charging ?5 a pint of Moretti.

> Shame, it's my nearest pub and although it's a bit

> shit, it was our go to pub for a quick pint or two

> and a whinge after work. I won't be going back

> though that is a rip off. Custom lost.

I'm saying nothing..

DulwichFox

It's Tony's pub and I guess he can do what he likes and if that's slurping lager on his perch at the bar with his family and friends whilst the staff beaver away then so be it. It's quite simple really. You can choose to go there or not go there. Personally speaking I mostly choose not to.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> It's Tony's pub and I guess he can do what he

> likes and if that's slurping lager on his perch at

> the bar with his family and friends whilst the

> staff beaver away then so be it.

Yeah your right, he can do what he wants, but ?5 a pint is too much, I'm not going back.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I wouldn't drink there if it was 50p a pint.

>

> DulwichFox

Why is that? It's a nice pub from my limited experience of it. I don't care who owns it. I would also bet a lot of people would drink there if it was 50p a pint.

Alan..

It has to potential to be a great pub, but it's too big.

It's freezing in there in the winter.

If it was separate bars with partitions it might feel a bit cosier.

That's why I like the EDT especially in the winter with 2 open fires.

Yes, I'm sure people would use it if it was 50p a pint.

The problem with The Cherry Tree is the owners and how they have treated the managers, chefs and staff.

all of which have worked tirelessly to attract customers with no reward.

Foxy