When good neighbours become good friends - the Nunhead way. (Jacqui Smith) (Lounged)

macroban

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> snorky Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > If JS had rented a place for say ?1K a month

> for

> > 12 years, then it would be a bit more than the

> "

> > possibly up to ?200,000 " amassed since she

> > decamped to London in 1997

>

> No. ?1000 * 12 * 12 = ?144,000

>

> I'm not saying that the amount she claimed is

> unreasonable, but I would say that she's abusing

> her expenses buy renting a cheap room in London,

> then getting her family home subsidised. OK so

> most people who have ever worked for a large

> company have fiddled their expenses at some point,

> but as a politician, she should realise that her

> actions will be scrutinised in the public eye.

>

> But still, I have no time for this Taplin person,

> or the Daily Mail, or this so-called "news

> article".

Bugger - my mafs aint wot it used to be - you are correct- so lets say ?2K a month for a reasonable MP worthy centrally located pad.Dolphin Square starts at about 300 a week for a studio upwards, so my ?1K was a bit on the low side.

dannevirke

I hate to say it, but these days I almost take it as given that a politician will attempt to line his or her own pockets (no doubt keeping within the letter of the law, but perhaps not the spirit).

Looking back, I certainly didn't feel that way 15 years ago... Perhaps I was naive.

A couple of years ago, I asked a friend of mine who has spent a fair amount of time with many MPs over the years, which MPs he would trust (following the departure of an MP we both felt was one of the good guys). He gave me one name.

gawd, as the more astute have pointed out, but many people STILL seem to have completley missesd, the wonderful irony of a Home Secretary in a governemnt that has done more than any other since the war to erode our right to privacy and intrude in our lives for *security* being snitched on by her neighbours** is delicious...

**twice a week during term time neighbours

One of the more powerful aspects of state surveillance in both East Germany and Franco's Spain was the official snitch living on virtually every street. You knew not who was in the pay of the 'social police', so in effect nobody could be trusted. The word of the snitch to the authorities was enough to land you in police custody; and your private life investigated in depth. Though in Spain, attention could be temporarily diverted with small offerings of cash.

City of Westminster Licensing Sub Ctee

3.29 Mr. Taplin had been connected with Legends for 16 years, 12 as licensee, and for most of this time, there had been no problems. He knows he will be monitored and that he will be visited often. He insists that he is a fit and proper person and that what happened at Legends should not be held against him.

This Guy is Famous!

And So is she !!- all in favour of working mums apparently!

Jessica Taplin, The One I Want.com

?I just wanted to say how delighted I am with the amount of enquiries I have had regarding the wedding manager roles-most exciting! Working Mums is such an inspired idea and a truly super way of utilising all those immensely skilled mummy?s out there whilst enabling them to build up a new career which is flexible enough to fit around their parenting role.?