SE22 vs SE15 night out

ernesto

EDT is always a safe bet... good beer selection, nice atmosphere most of the time. It's the only place which I've been consistently happy to drink in since I first moved to the area.

The Flying Pig is offering something different to most other places locally (i.e. a pretty large selection of craft keg and bottled beer, as well as a few cask ales), so it's nice to have it there. Last time I went in, my impression was that they needed to work on the pricing of the beer and the quality of the grub to pull in more customers, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Agree with last para - visits to HB&B are a good excuse to nip in more often for a swifty; always viewed EDT as a pub to meet people in (especially visitors to ED - a location thing I think) but never really fancied staying for more than one.

The head chef at TFP went back to Canada to open a simular place with his brother

Since then the owners have employed the run of the mill knock-it-out kind of chef

So the food offer has suffered accordingly. To do BBQ you have to be wholly engaged with each and every process

Comparing the FP with the EDT is not really fair...two very different beasts.

I quite like the FP as it reminds me of a US bar. Bourbon, beer and BBQ stuff and feels quite comfy sitting at the bar there without anyone else having to be there.

Bah. You want to show him a good time, go to Camberwell, chum.

Silk Road, Hermits, then on to Bar Story, Crust Conductor, Bussey for dropping some legs.

ED lite? And he's travelled all the way across the pond for that? Some friend you are.

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And let it be known that the last time I saw

> DulwichFox....it was in there.

I've only been to the Flying Pig 4 Times.

and the last 2 times were when my then partner and I were splitting up.

So I don't have fond memories of the place.

Not been there since May 2014

Foxy

Jeremy Wrote:

> EDT is always a safe bet... good beer selection,

> nice atmosphere most of the time. It's the only

> place which I've been consistently happy to drink

> in since I first moved to the area.

I'd agree with that. Never been my favourite place, but have always been happy enough to go there.

Jeremy, I agree about the EDT. Got tipsy there last night ? decent beer, friendly atmosphere, good mix of people. The Flying Pig's OK too, but I'm not fond of the overloud club music on weekend nights. I only visit The Actress when a friend from out of town is around and staying with his SE22 brother nearby. And I've only been to The Great Exhibition a few times and had poor service or beer each time. Three strikes and you're out is my rule. I never go to The Plough, which is characterless, and I haven't been to The Castle since getting pissed with the kids' nursery assistants post-parents' evening about fifteen years ago. I hear it's unchanged...

Talking of the Castle pub, does anyone remember/know of an elderly Irish lady by the name of Mary? She had her own corner in this pub she was always such a great character and person to talk with back in the day. Is she still around?

Louisa.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> I haven't been to The Castle since getting pissed with the kids' nursery assistants post-parents' evening about fifteen years ago. I hear it's unchanged...

You hear wrong. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, and you won't get a real ale in there (you'll get a great Guinness though), but it's definitely improved.

Lou I'll ask my dad and let you know. I remember the lady you're talking about, but not sure if she's still around now.

Louisa Wrote:

> Talking of the Castle pub, does anyone

> remember/know of an elderly Irish lady by the name

> of Mary? She had her own corner in this pub she

> was always such a great character and person to

> talk with back in the day. Is she still around?

>

> Louisa.

I knew Mary.. She was a lovely Lady. A Mrs Doyle Character if may be allowed to affectionately say.

She was very funny :)

I used to work in the Plough in 1980 where she also used to drink mainly on a Sunday lunchtime.

I don't know if she is still around. ?? She would be in her 90's if she was.

Many of the other Irish folk that used to drink there have since passed on.

The likes of which will never be seen in these parts again.

Flann O'Brien The Third Policeman

Really don't know what She would make of East Dulwich these days

DulwichFox

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> The Flying Pig's OK too, but I'm not fond of the overloud club music on weekend nights.

Would put me off too. Last time I went in, it was more REM/Pearl Jam/Weezer kind of selection which is quite up my street.

And as Otta said... The Castle definitely had a bit of a spruce up around 4-5 years back. But I hear they still do a mean pint of Strongbow!

Louisa Wrote:

> Talking of the Castle pub, does anyone

> remember/know of an elderly Irish lady by the name

> of Mary? She had her own corner in this pub she

> was always such a great character and person to

> talk with back in the day. Is she still around?

>

> Louisa.

Unfortunately, Mary is long gone and has probably taken her collection tin with her. I believe she's in a nursing home back in Ireland. Surprised you didn't know as you've often mentioned your love of The Castle, which to my mind means you probably haven't been in there for getting on a decade.

Jah how long ago was she last in there? I've been in there a few times since and hadn't seen her and didn't tbink to ask just assumed she wasn't around on those days. I was a regular back in the mid to late 90s when they had live music sessions on Sunday afternoons. Often country/Irish singers. So she is still alive then as far as you are aware?

Louisa.