Greece...

????

• 2 weeks later...
Greece blinked first. Great analysis from BBC's Mark Lowen, who said that PM realised he was riding high in the polls so pragmatically used his popularity as a buffer against widespread criticism of accommodation of what EU (Merkel etc) wanted. In doing so he might lose some supporters on the far-left but so be it.

Robert P

Syriza appears to have transformed itself from what in the UK would be seen as traditional leftists into Blairites. In the reforms proposed by the Greek finance minister Yanis Varoufakis to secure a four-month extension of its life-or-death bailout, vanished are the party's seeming implacable hostility to privatisation, determination to re-hire sacked public-sector workers, and desire for rapid rises in minimum wages. Or to put it another way, the platform on which Syriza won the recent general election has been significantly reconstructed

can't defy maths, sorry my left wing friends

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Couldn't agree more, which is why it's best not to

> give them (or lend them) too much money in the

> first place :)

I'm glad we agree both sides of politics are capable of corruption and deception, I was beginning to get the impression you think there's something inherently corrupt about one side of politics only. (Not getting into whether these two sides are even an accurate division anymore).

PS the truly incompetent, hilarious Greens being a prime example. Plus google where the only Green Council in the UK is on the list of recycling competency (hint it's not in the top 10...try the other end) for well meaning, middleclass twa*terry

• 3 months later...

Not looking good for Greece at the moment. Even if Greece and the Troika strike a deal, the chances of it being ratified by parliament are small. Even a deal seems to be getting further away, looking at the latest "corrections" made to the last Greek proposal. As someone wrote, one of the main problems is the Troika want to see Excel spreadsheets, but the Greeks keep giving them Word documents.

Tsipras's strategy seems entirely based on the Troika blinking first, but I don't think that will happen. Perhaps the reality will set in next month when, not only do the Greek government have no money to pay the IMF, but also not enough to pay all the pensions they've tried desperately to protect.

But something better give, else we are going to see a massive humanitarian problem if Greece goes bust.

The poor poor Greeks. I am totally behind their government. Why should the people of Greece be made to suffer by not receiving pensions amongst other benefits just so the country can pay off their debts to satisfy the EU. Stuff the EU. The people should come first.

Louisa.