What the hell is going on on Barry Road? (shooting)

TonyQuinn

I think everyone is fully aware that the statistics show one thing. Yes, that is all well and good but at the end of the day statistics mean nothing when you have a dead man lying on your street. The community is very shaken by this, I certainly am and it's no good throwing statistics or arguing about postcodes. We are all in a state of shock and hopefully time will get us all back into some sort of normality. For now everyone, we have to deal with the shock and the horror and there's no reflection on anyone to say "Yes, I am scared."

13 homicides in Southwark in the 12 months to January, 156 in total across London. With 7.5 million people, that's a 1 in 48,000 chance of catching a stray one.

With 10,000 annual abductions in the US, and a population of 300m, that's a 1 in 30,000 chance of getting an alien probe up your jacksy.

I'm not sure they're mutually exclusive, mind you.

I'm not happy about it happening either - but we can all see that this is a rare incident and the statistics bear this out - we don't need challenged people putting messages on here like I'm sure East Dulwich is way up the list - The last murder in East Dulwich I remember was about 8 years ago in Solway Road.

This is a horrible thing to have happened, of course, and I have a great deal of sympathy for the family of this man and can understand neighbours who are shocked at the proximity.

But speaking as a "member of the community" I have to say I'm not shaken and I'm not scared.

I'm with you there.

I look at it in much the same way as the kid who got hit by a bus last year. Terrible and tragic, but I am not increasingly scared of being flattened by the no12. I am more concerned about a 747 landing on us... but that is my own weird phobia.

A shooting near where I live is certainly a terrible thing - as is any shooting anywhere, but I am no more or less at risk of being shot now than yesterday morning.

Shootings tend - based on anecdotal evidence, to be in some way linked to the victim. Therefore, if I keep away from drugs, gangs, criminals and people involved with guns, the chances are I will have a safe, but boring life.

Unfortunately this also means certain demographics are more at risk, but we all make our own beds.

Not sure if this has been put already (cant be botherd to read thru all the posts) but this is in todays newspaper

A MAN WAS SHOT DEAD IN BROAD DAYLIGHT IN A QUIET STREET YESTERDAY.

THE VICTIM WHO IS BELIEVED TO HAVE BEEN IN HIS 20S WAS HIT IN THE HEAD AND PRONOUNCED DEAD AT THE SCENE. A SHOCKED RESIDENT WHO ASKED NOT TO BE NAMED SAID "ITS TERRIFYING BECAUSE I WALK THROUGH HERE EVERY DAY"

"ANYONE COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED IF THEY WERE HERE AT THE WRONG TIME:

THE KILLING HAPPENED AT 1.15PM IN BARRY ROAD, EAST DULWICH, WHICH IS FILLED WITH LARGE HOMES.

LOCALS SAY GANGS FROM NEARBY AREAS ARE NOW ACTIVE IN THE SUBURB.

Not sure why they felt it necessary to mention that there are large houses!!

Asset Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> not including yourself in that statistic then

> Penk?

By 'you' I mean 'those of you who have posted saying how you might move out of the area because of this'.

I don't come within that group, hence the 'you' ; )

I just wondered if there Were ANY UFO sightings in London and Now I Am Worried!

August 7th/8th 2008 : Brockely, London, England

UFOINFO Sighting Form Report

Date: 7/8th August 2008

Time: 23:50 - 00:10

Number of witnesses: 3

Number of objects: 5

Shape of objects: Round, glowing, yellowy orange bright lights.

Weather Conditions: clear with low cloud. The sighting was beneath the cloud.

Description: My husband saw a light from a westerly direction we watched it travelling Eastwards at a steady speed until it went out of sight. Then another appeared it seemed to follow the first one, it's difficult to say how big or how far away they were. My daughter joined us while we were watching the second one.... She called the police. While she was talking and at the same interval a third and then fourth appeared and subsequently disappeared out of sight. The fifth seemed further away as it seemed smaller it seemed to be going more North but then carried on course to follow the others.

TV/Radio: NO: It was reported to the police, they have reported it to the Aviation Authority.

Re Barry Road: there has in the past been a rape (in the street) and a few other things. It's not the best street. But not the worst either. And not a whole lot different from several of the streets around it.

What I'm not so fond of in that part of the road and nearby is the number of young men with 'statement' dogs (somewhere on the Staffie-pit bull axis, maybe not quite legal, certainly replete with plenty of metal). While some/most no doubt mean well (both dogs and owners) I personally find it a little threatening (but that's just me, mebbe).

the-e-dealer Wrote:

> I'm not happy about it happening either - but we

> can all see that this is a rare incident and the

> statistics bear this out - we don't need

> challenged people putting messages on here like

> I'm sure East Dulwich is way up the list - The

> last murder in East Dulwich I remember was about 8

> years ago in Solway Road.

There was another murder in Brockill Crescent on Saturday, around an hour after I passed nearby. Yes, that's SE4 (but walking distance from here). That one hasn't hit the press in the way that the SE22 one has.

FROM THE MET:

A murder inquiry is underway after a death in East Dulwich.

Police were called at approximatly 13:15hrs, on 22 February 2009, to a man shot in the street at Barry Road, SE22. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

We await formal identification but we are satisfied the victim is Larry Safie, aged 25, of east Dulwich. Next of kin has been informed.

A post-mortem examination will be held at Greenwich mortuary, at 16:00hrs, on 23 February.

Detectives from the Met's Operation Trident are investigating. They are appealing for anyone in the area around that time who may have seen anything suspicious, in particular a black man seen leaving the scene; he was about 5'10" tall and wore a black hooded top.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8247 4533 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 to remain anonymous.

???? Wrote:

> I remember someone being 'executed' outside the

> Peckam Rye Hotel in 1994 as he left at 2am in the

> morning....we're in London. The difference then

> was that he was 40s and white and the inference

> was that it was gangland....maybe this was

> too..although the modern version

>

> Tragic and awful but not just a recent thing

I was asking my mum about this the other day + she couldn't remember it. I'm sure I went to primary school with his daughter.

Never stated I would be moving out of the area, just know through my work that there are a considerable number of crimes in the area which are not reported.

So not really an anecdotal theory post and not one that should be answered in such a trivial, dismissisve, manner..

As a poster pointed out there were 7 significant crimes last month and the area is "Average" in London...not a particuarly good record, but not one that surprises me when you see the kind of oics that seem to be more and more prevalent.

bawdy-nan Wrote:

> This is a horrible thing to have happened, of

> course, and I have a great deal of sympathy for

> the family of this man and can understand

> neighbours who are shocked at the proximity.

>

> But speaking as a "member of the community" I have

> to say I'm not shaken and I'm not scared.

xxxxxx

Nor me.

Lot of scare-mongering on this thread. Bad things happen everywhere.

[quote=Cassius

"I'd like to repeat exactly what Dave, UK just said. Only I'd like to add that I'd put a Berlin Wall type structure round Peckham (since the area has nothing of any interest inside it) and put them all inside it."

It is quite worrying that there are a bunch of people on this forum who are quite frankly racist, who exactly are 'them'?

I don't think anyone would dispute how terrible this is and for those residents on Barry road it must be a concern but some of the comments even in jest are unhelpful. It's exactly these views that help re-enforce stereotypes.

I am not scared either, it is just a sad part of life, people die, some in natural circumstances and some in horrible circumstances, naturally it is more scary when it is on your doorstep but I am quite aware that it can happen anywhere, anytime, it could be worse, we could be living in an area completely rife with crime but of course it would be wonderful to exist in a world where murders don't happen but that is a pipe dream!

I just feel sorry for his family, it must have been an absolute shock and no one deserves to lose a family member in those tragic circumstances.

I worry in general about men, especially boys because there is a lot of gang mentality going on, and in some schools and areas this is obvious.

I know of boys from Dulwich who have been told they are not allowed to go to Lewisham or Brockley etc, pretty pathetic since these boys who fancy themselves as gang members don't exactly have 'turfs' worth fighting for, I can understand if you have a private property and someone is trespassing so you shake your fist at the trespasser and tell them to get off your property but to kill people because they come Dulwich and are shopping in Lewisham etc is just bizarre to say the least, we are becoming too much like the USA. ( why anyone wants to aspire to be like the USA is beyond me!).

Cassius was quoting the comment on the ThisIsLondon website, and making fun of it... I think - go and reread her full post and see for yourself

alethea Wrote:

> [quote=Cassius

>

> "I'd like to repeat exactly what Dave, UK just

> said. Only I'd like to add that I'd put a Berlin

> Wall type structure round Peckham (since the area

> has nothing of any interest inside it) and put

> them all inside it.

>

> It is quite worrying that there are a bunch of

> people on this forum who are quite frankly racist,

> who exactly are 'them'?

>

> I don't think anyone would dispute how terrible

> this is and for those residents on Barry road it

> must be a concern but some of the comments even in

> jest are unhelpful. It's exactly these views that

> help re-enforce stereotypes.

I've just sat and read through these posts. Simply stunning.

I am a white average Joe of no political persuasion, I'm not particularity radical, neither leaning wildly left or right - I'd like to think I'm fairly normal... as such my strong reaction to the really quite disturbing "us versus them" posts of some of the posters, surprised even normal little me....

What ever it is - middle class v working class, black v white, haves v have nots or SE15 v SE22....we live in London people - one of the most culturally rich and ethnically vibrant cites in the world. Our diverse communities are inextricably inter-twined; we share cultures, foods-stuffs, music, art and (stop press!) lovers! We have common identity as "Londoners"...it is what makes me love this city.

It's a sad day indeed then when, over such a serious incident, the narrow-minded (I could think of far stronger terminology) reveal their true colours. This wonderful City is an "all or nothing" kind of place: good goes with bad, curry goes with chips, black goes with white, SE15 goes with SE22.

If you don't get that, then you're in the wrong place - tell you what, take a walk down Peckham High Street on a Sunday, you will see a vibrant and peaceful African community going about their lives; a spectacle of colour and community ? not ladies and gentlemen, the 7th circle of ?Dantes Inferno? where? the natives? have gone on a wild looting frenzy and where you can?t get a mocha-frappa-cappa-wacka-chino for love nor money.

?SE15? is just one of MANY completely different areas that make up our multi-cultural London, and trust me, if London were full of some of the people posting here, well, we'd probably be? a very large Tunbridge Wells...not the dynamic world city that we are.

I know what I?d prefer? and for those I can hear right now screaming ?Tunbridge Wells?, well? you know where it is. Enjoy.