> planning to have quieter planes!

>

> Fact is, us on the flight paths, really seemed to

> have no rights to peace and quiet nor any

> entitlement to compensation for the effect it has

> on our home life ( and in parks and woodlands

> too), so let's see what happens next.

> Great to have a quiet day today; you get to

> realise what it was like pre. circa 1990.

>

> cheers - fasten your safety belts - we're in for a

> bumpy ride!

Thats exact what I though "fasten your safety belts - we're in for a

> bumpy ride!" hahaha

As a member of Heathrow Action Campaign Against Noise (HACAN) I receive this email a couple of weeks ago:

"

Dear Friends,

There is increasing concern about flight paths and aircraft noise from Heathrow over South and South East London. Some areas have also been experiencing more noise from London City aircraft following the concentration of its flight paths last year.

More positively, Heathrow will be holding a public consultation later this year to get people?s views on the design principles which should inform the root and branch review of flight paths it will be undertaking (whether or not it gets permission for a third runway). It will be asking communities for their thoughts on the importance of things like respite.

We want to make sure that the community voice in South and South East London is as strong as possible and so we are proposing to set up HACAN South East London as a sister body to HACAN and HACAN East.

We would like to invite you to an the inaugural meeting of HACAN South East London on 26th September at 7.30pm at Kennington Park Community Centre, 8 Harleyford Street, SE11 5SY (just beside the Oval Cricket Ground).

Do come along! It will be a chance to hear from campaigners about the latest developments at Heathrow and London City airports. And it will be a chance to give your views about what the new body should concentrate on.

With best regards,

John Stewart

Chair HACAN

"

If aircraft noise annoys you then worth going to this inaugural meeting.

From above: "I"m only the Queen".

I have landed in a plane at Heathrow many a time, sometimes from the East and sometimes from the West. One direction takes you nearly directly over Buckingham Palace, from the other nearly directly over Windsor Castle. The planes are much lower in either location than over SE London.

She can't get the flight patterns changed and so often pops up to Norfolk or Balmoral for peace and quiet - another option is that when she's had enough of the noise she can go on an official visit somewhere too.

In conclusion, don't waste your efforts complaining as you won't get anywhere. Learn to love it or move. I wouldn't recommend Richmond or Kew though.

George Orwell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> In conclusion, don't waste your efforts

> complaining as you won't get anywhere. Learn to

> love it or move. I wouldn't recommend Richmond or

> Kew though.

I lived in Twickenham and actually think it's worse here in some respects. At least in Twickenham you get a pretty much guaranteed half day of no noise due to runway alternation (even though the other half is noisier). Here you between Heathrow and City the noise is almost constant, plus they stack the planes above us before the curfew lifts leading to noise earlier than I used to get it in West London.

That said I lived in Windsor for a bit and that was truly terrible.

• 1 month later...

lavelle72 Wrote:

> Quite loud over ED at 4.26 this morning. Would

> that not be curfew time? Clearly not

Doesn't curfew only apply to landings? I think they stack the planes over SE London waiting for the curfew which is why we get some many planes so early in the morning. I don't ever recall it being so constantly disruptive in Twickenham.

here are the 1st flight arrivals this morning

5 American Airlines flightAA6448 Cape Town Landed 04:34

AA6448View flight details

04:45 Finnair flightAY5948 Cape Town Landed 04:34

AY5948View flight details

04:45 British Airways flightBA058 Cape Town Landed 04:34

BA058View flight details

04:45 Iberia flightIB4757 Cape Town Landed 04:34

IB4757View flight details

04:45 British Airways flightBA032 Hong Kong Landed 04:31

BA032View flight details

04:55 British Airways flightBA016 Sydney Via Singapore Landed 04:48

Those first 4 are all the same plane (codeshares)

tigerranks Wrote:

> here are the 1st flight arrivals this morning

>

>

> 5 American Airlines flightAA6448 Cape Town Landed

> 04:34

> 3

> AA6448View flight details

> 04:45 Finnair flightAY5948 Cape Town Landed

> 04:34

> 3

> AY5948View flight details

> 04:45 British Airways flightBA058 Cape Town

> Landed 04:34

> 3

> BA058View flight details

> 04:45 Iberia flightIB4757 Cape Town Landed 04:34

> 3

> IB4757View flight details

> 04:45 British Airways flightBA032 Hong Kong

> Landed 04:31

> 5

> BA032View flight details

> 04:55 British Airways flightBA016 Sydney Via

> Singapore Landed 04:48

> 5

You're quite right, I should have looked more carefully. I don't know why it seems so much busier in the sky here.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I don't think aircraft stack over East Dulwich.

> Planes over E.D. are on their final approach into

> Heathrow.

>

> DulwichFox

• 4 months later...

HACAN?s latest report, released today, finds that he problem has indeed got worse in recent years in the ?Brockley corridor?. Here?s part of the summary:

The area is heavily overflown, with typically 38 planes an hour audible to many communities. This could rise to over 40 during busy periods and over 50 in the hour between 6am and 7am (when planes land on both runways at Heathrow). The planes are typically at heights between 5,000ft in the Greenwich area to under 4,000ft at Clapham Common. Heights have changed little in the past few years.

 Increased concentration of flights has taken place in recent years. More than ever flights are being guided through ?concentrated corridors? which means that particular communities are especially badly hit. We have deliberately used the word ?corridor? as the planes are not necessarily in a precise line but are within a corridor where they are audible.

 The overall number of flights is much the same as when we last surveyed the area 10 years ago but this masks significant changes in certain places:

- the number of flights in the east of the region has increased dramatically: daily flights in the Brockley corridor grew by 135 between 2011 and 2017; Greenwich saw an increase of 165 a day.

- flights numbers in the ?southern corridor? ? which is focused on the southern runway ? have risen significantly

- increased concentration has meant more flights for particular communities.

We concluded many more planes are joining their final approach corridors further east than before and are more concentrated within those corridors. We also found evidence of increased night concentration

Full report here: http://hacan.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Corridors-of-Concentration-Report.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for sharing this. I?m a member of HACAN but hadn?t seen it. Great to have the data to show that our patch of London is now constantly subjected to loud flights overhead and how much this has increased over recent years.

• 3 weeks later...

Easterlies again today, so nice and quiet.

But whenever I?ve been in Windsor when aircraft are landing from the west, the noise has been unbearable. Can you notice it on the coverage of Harry?s wedding?

uncleglen Wrote:

> there will be no planes over Windsor for 15

> minutes today

Though I was visiting my mother near Kingston and we saw/heard a very low flying chopper going to pick Wills up for the cup final and coming back again, and doubtless he'll be coming back that way...very ecological!

• 2 months later...

From Hacan:

A PLAN TO END EXPANSION ALTOGETHER

Innovative tax plan boosts campaign against expansion

An innovative plan to replace Air Passenger Duty with a variable levy based on the number of flights taken each year would remove the need for airport expansion altogether.

HACAN is among a coalition of campaign organisations, environmentalists and trade unions calling for a new approach to taxation around flights which would prove both equitable and fair.

Revealed in the final countdown to the publication of the Airports Commission?s recommendation on airport expansion in the south east, the tax plan aims to reduce the numbers of flights taken by a minority of the population ? while allowing ordinary families a tax-free flight each year.

Writing in the Observer, campaigners said: ?Contrary to aviation lobby rhetoric, a new runway is not needed to allow more international business flights, which have been declining steadily since the turn of the century.

?The hub airport argument is a smokescreen. In reality, growing demand for air travel is concentrated in the short-haul leisure sector and among a small, wealthy minority of the population. It is more of these flights that a new runway will in practice service.?

Read an in-depth report into the proposals here: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/20/frequent-flyer-tax-leisure-airfares

Half of the UK population do not fly at all in any given year ? and 15% of the UK population take 70% of all our flights

The frequent flyer levy would come into effect on the second flight during each tax year, and increase proportionally with each flight taken thereafter.

Meanwhile, opposition to proposed expansion at Heathrow continues in the run up to the Commission?s recommendation.