Aircraft noise -

lparsons

• 6 months later...

just a reminder that in the recent fine weather all London City Airport arrivals are overflying us once again. Planes at 2000ft every 4 minutes at some times of day. Research shows that different people are disturbed by different noise levels. If you are at all concerned, read on.

London City are on record as saying their key reported measure on the issue is numbers of complaints so it is up to us to fill their inbox. You do this by filling in their form at https://www.londoncityairport.com/corporate/Environment/Environmental-Complaints-Enquiries

or by emailing [email protected]

Meanwhile Forest Hill Society with support from Dulwich Society will be meeting London City executives in early March to raise once again what we want to change - a redesign of flightpaths over us with proper consultation, an end to the concentrated flight path, flying higher for longer, periods of relief from aircraft noise and proper joint planning with Heathrow to minimise or end double overflight.

I understand what you mean about different people being bothered by different planes. The smaller, quieter ones that go to City (Embraers and some turboprops, etc.) do not disturb me at all, even if they are frequent. The horrible whines and "gear changes" from the large jets in the early morning really grate; there's something about the sound that is unpleasant. I don't think they will change in the short term, however.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To a all the people who claim they don't make any noise difference whether planes fly above us or not, please have a listen today - when they don't - and realise how badly Heathrow is located.

Or how badly you are located? Or did you move to your current address before the airport was built?

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To a all the people who claim they don't make any

> noise difference whether planes fly above us or

> not, please have a listen today - when they don't

> - and realise how badly Heathrow is located.

>

> Or how badly you are located? Or did you move to

> your current address before the airport was built?

When Heathrow opened it carried 63,000 passengers a year, and was (initially) built very intelligently to allow for takeoffs and landings in a wide range of directions. If that were still the case I don?t think many people would be complaining about the noise.

Aircraft technology changes, flight paths change, passenger numbers change; as such the number and location of impacted people change.

It has been better this last week without Heathrow over us, but SE London gets no respite- if we don't get Heathrow arrivals we get London City, and in light easterly winds it is both.

April 9th to 18th, saw 10 consecutive days of every single London City aircraft flying under 2000 feet over Forest Hill/Dulwich/Herne Hill. In Nov 2018, Liam McKay, a director of this airport said . 'The key metric for us is noise complaints as a reflection of distress levels?.

So complain if you are bothered by this at all otherwise they think this is ok. Little airport, big noise.

Here is where you do it. https://www.londoncityairport.com/corporate/Environment/Environmental-Complaints-Enquiries

Cheeky bonus today - westerlies yesterday afternoon but reverted to easterly overnight! honestly, I would much rather have the City landings every 5 minutes than Heathrow every 40 seconds.

I wonder if the westerly preference has anything to do with HM Queen's residence in Windsor? From personal experience, Windsor is completely intolerable when planes are landing overhead.

• 3 weeks later...

Fine weather again, don?t forget to keep logging noise complaints with London City Airport. Here?s mine from today.

'Once again I find it necessary to complain about the low altitude aircraft flying today over Forest Hill to LCY. They fly under 2000 feet, which is too low, create persistent repeated noise at around 60 db and interrupt greatly the enjoyment of the outdoors. Inevitably this happens during the fine weather that accompanies east winds in this area. I am also dismayed to see that LCY has applied to the CAA to put back by nearly a year the CP1616 process. This appears to demonstrate the lack of any urgency or concern by the airport for overflown residents, despite three years of record complaints and detailed representations to the airport by residents including from the Forest Hill Society following the introduction of concentrated low altitude flight paths over SE London in 2016.'

London City are going through an Airspace Change process, a review of the flight paths they use. They have applied to the CAA put back the process ? in order to deconflict the engagement process with previously planned airport activity?. I would think this means their expected expansion plans in the forthcoming Masterplan, which they are prioritising ahead of addressing noise relief and flight paths.

Meanwhile here is a way we can all help to quantity the aircraft noise in our or any area, using a new app developed in Holland. Download Explane on to your smartphone, then simply point the phone mic at a noisy aircraft. It logs the noisiest 10 seconds, identifies the plane and you can then submit the data to their central database. The crowdsourced data is then analysed, shared and can be used to provide evidence of the need for change. This is so new that no one is using it for London City planes yet. I started today. Could a few of us start to build an evidence base that we can use to create more pressure for change? Anyone else care to try it and report back?

https://explane.org/

How peculiar that one could live in a city such as London, with its multiple airports, and complain about aircraft noise.

Perhaps a move to a more rural area may be best, but then of course, you'd need to be careful not to move close to any churches, lest the bells which have rung for hundreds of years might interrupt ones beauty sleep.

I find the birds singing from 4:30 in the morning far more disruptive to sleep than planes going over, i do however have no intention of complaining to the council, and perhaps encouraging a cull.

@Humdinger, thank you for taking the time to comment. It is true that some birds have the ability to sing at unbelievable volumes - see here:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn4964-urban-nightingales-songs-are-illegally-loud/

but I think more commonly aeroplanes are typically louder. It is also true that aircraft flight paths are changing to increase the noise whereas sadly I think bird numbers are declining.