General Election 2015

MrBen

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As a liberal Scot I've always voted Libdem or

> Labour. No Scot ever votes Tory.

>

Not even the many London based ones who depend on the financial sector for a living

keekybreeks Wrote:

> you reckon there will even be enough non disgraced

> kippers left to even stand for 5 seats by May ?

>

> What does concern me is the libdem scum - they

> have killed themselves for a generation- their

> fault, they should pay, no sympathy- but the

> diretion of previous libdem voters ( long terms or

> swingers) is pivotal

>

> of course they could go for a non event like the

> greens- the last time a slab of voters went green,

> we found ourselves invading most of the middle

> east as a result.

>

> hmmmmm

Lib Dems are finished

I'm 90% sure the SNP are going to hold the balance of power

And would they even abstain if it allows the Tories in ??

I don't think the Lib Dems will lose anywhere near the number of seats that is being predicted based on their expected share of the vote. There are plenty of seats that have been Lib Dem now for 15+ years with big majorities, and they are notoriously good at playing local politics. The key issue seems to me to be how many seats will the Tories lose because UKIP split their vote. If they can keep it to no more than a dozen, I'd expect Tories + Lib Dems to have a narrow majority, and if they can form a government, they will.

The numbers are worrying. Current predictions have Lab at about 270, Tory at about 275 and LD at about 25. So, both Lab+LibDem and Tory+LibDem about 10-15 seats short of a majority.

I don't really mind who gets in so long as it is stable and the nationalists/UKIP/Greens aren't involved. Let's face it - whichever combination of Lab/Tory/LD gets in, it will be much the same as before - there's sweet FA in policy difference between them in the major areas.

Though ejecting Scotland from the union would rather neatly solve things!

DaveR Wrote:

> I don't think the Lib Dems will lose anywhere near

> the number of seats that is being predicted based

> on their expected share of the vote. There are

> plenty of seats that have been Lib Dem now for 15+

> years with big majorities, and they are

> notoriously good at playing local politics. The

> key issue seems to me to be how many seats will

> the Tories lose because UKIP split their vote. If

> they can keep it to no more than a dozen, I'd

> expect Tories + Lib Dems to have a narrow

> majority, and if they can form a government, they

> will.

Thats what Clegg seems to think

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/mar/14/lib-dems-lose-half-seats-still-hold-power-tory-coalition

I think he's damaged them more than he realises - Are LibDem supporters really Tories ??

Or does Clegg realise he'll have to go if they swap sides.

Loz Wrote:

> The numbers are worrying. Current predictions

> have Lab at about 270, Tory at about 275 and LD at

> about 25. So, both Lab+LibDem and Tory+LibDem

> about 10-15 seats short of a majority.

>

> I don't really mind who gets in so long as it is

> stable and the nationalists/UKIP/Greens aren't

> involved. Let's face it - whichever combination

> of Lab/Tory/LD gets in, it will be much the same

> as before - there's sweet FA in policy difference

> between them in the major areas.

>

> Though ejecting Scotland from the union would

> rather neatly solve things!

The SNP will vcte against the Tories whatever.

They won't abstain because that may let the Conservatives in.

JohnL Wrote:

> DaveR Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I don't think the Lib Dems will lose anywhere near

> > the number of seats that is being predicted based

> > on their expected share of the vote. There are

> > plenty of seats that have been Lib Dem now for 15+

> > years with big majorities, and they are

> > notoriously good at playing local politics. The

> > key issue seems to me to be how many seats will

> > the Tories lose because UKIP split their vote. If

> > they can keep it to no more than a dozen, I'd

> > expect Tories + Lib Dems to have a narrow

> > majority, and if they can form a government, they

> > will.

>

>

> Thats what Clegg seems to think

>

> http://www.theguardian.com

>

> I think he's damaged them more than he realises - Are LibDem supporters really Tories ??

> Or does Clegg realise he'll have to go if they swap sides.

That article says "most probably in coalition with the Conservatives". The LibDems can form a coalition with either Lab or Tory. As a LibDem voter, I really don't mind which - as I said, the major policies for both Lab and Tories are pretty much the same. The LibDems are a good moderating influence for both the big two, rather than the blackmailing influence UKIP or the SNP will be.

> The SNP will vcte against the Tories whatever. They won't abstain because that may let the Conservatives in.

Don't underestimate the SNP - they will sell their souls to the Tories if it gets them what they want. You forget, the SNP had an informal coalition with the Tories in Scotland for a number of years.

So the predictions are for a lor of SNP seats at the GE - despite a majority in Scotland recently voting against the SNP's raison d'etre.

So either this same majority are voting for a party whose fundamental aim they oppose - or the electoral system is a little bit jiggered?

If the Libs hold the balance again - and I suspect they will - surely they will demand a PROPER referendum on electoral reform (not the farce of last time) as part of any deal.

And this time around perhaps Labour will not have the arrogance (or make the mistake) of assuming the Libs could be tweaked by the ear because they couldn't possibly work with the Tories.

Loz Wrote:

> I love the 'Monkey Dust' styling of that. I

> rather miss 'Monkey Dust'.

Monkey Dust was awesome. Although the cyclists of the EDF grew tired of me sharing a particular sketch.

maxxi Wrote:

> So the predictions are for a lor of SNP seats at the GE - despite a majority in Scotland recently

> voting against the SNP's raison d'etre.

>

> So either this same majority are voting for a party whose fundamental aim they oppose - or the

> electoral system is a little bit jiggered?

>

> If the Libs hold the balance again - and I suspect they will - surely they will demand a PROPER

> referendum on electoral reform (not the farce of last time) as part of any deal.

I think if this election turns out as badly and as fragmented as it is looking, it will set the PR/electoral reform debate back 20 years.

Anyone else finding the current onslaught of "here's me in my kitchen" posturing from each party leader slightly nauseating?

I don't want to see your f?$%ing Aga, or your wife in a tracksuit.... sort out the economy, NHS and foreign policy for this election with business-like purposeful schtick instead?

MrBen Wrote:

> Anyone else finding the current onslaught of

> "here's me in my kitchen" posturing from each

> party leader slightly nauseating?

>

> I don't want to see your f?$%ing Aga, or your wife

> in a tracksuit.... sort out the economy, NHS and

> foreign policy for this election with

> business-like purposeful schtick instead?

Boris was in a team GB tracksuit - and his hair was all over the place.

He seemed happy.

Where to start Henry old chap.......underpopulated, beautiful , the last true wilderness on the planet, mineral rich, an attractive exchange rate and one of the highest standards of living outside of Sweden. Excellent fly fishing, positive attitude to entrepreneurs, Albertan steak. Albertan women. Bears. Quiet roads. Uncrowded ski slopes. An incredible social health care system and solid and underlying constitutional principles born of Scottish sensibilities and fairness.

And best of all.....they're not American.