Parking for Bicycles

DulwichFox

matthew123 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue, isn't that the same argument for dog owners?

> Should dog owners not be able to demand dog

> kennels on the street?

No. And no :)

ETA: Dogs aren't a form of transport, unless you live in places requiring dog sleds :))

Jeremy Wrote:

> maxxi - I like the idea of the angle grinder, but

> I think the noise may prevent residents from

> getting a good nights sleep, so perhaps you could

> think of another way of nicking the bikes?

:))

Jeremy Wrote:

> maxxi - I like the idea of the angle grinder, but

> I think the noise may prevent residents from

> getting a good nights sleep, so perhaps you could

> think of another way of nicking the bikes?

Looking at the current design I think I was over-egging the nicker's pudding, a pair of tin snips should suffice - even if it does lack some of the drama residents would hope to dine out on for weeks.

Failing that a bucket or two of water sloshed about and a flashing amber light "Pipe's burst love" should send the good suburban worriers* back to dreamland.

*Title of Will Self's new book set in ED.

They must be reasonably secure. There have been two on Railton Road (Herne Hill to Brixton) for the last year which appear to be full of bikes when I go past.

Add me to those who eould like to see more of them - even outside my house so long as I get first dibs on getting a space in it!

Design-wise, they are functionally sound. Easy to open/close and with good protection from the elements which is really important for many bike owners. I don't mind leaving mine outside the pub/gym in the rain for a few hours but I don't want it out there for days on end. I've never been entirely convinced of the mesh ends that let people see how full they are.

However, I've seen far uglier multiple racks. There's one near Herne Hill station which is the vertical outline of an orange car with six bike racks attached to it. No protection from weather and no better than regular Sheffield stands or cyclehoops in terms of functionality.

I believe the bike hangers are made by a company based in Forest Hill (or used to be) so not too far to travel with aesthetic suggestions

The HH pink car shaped thing is a Lambeth pilot - it'll get planters to make it less obtrusive / gaudy - the spacing is intentional to stop speeding into the semi-pedestrianised area.

I think it's intended for train commuters / shoppers more than regular overnight storage.

Atticus Wrote:

> Dulwich Fox, my comments earlier on this thread

> were out of order and I apologise.

Thank you.. We all get a bit carried away with our emotions here on EDF from time to time.

That's very decent of you.

Apology accepted.

Foxy

• 1 month later...