> So I would have gladly welcomed one of these when

> we lived there. And I would have been ever so

> careful not make too much noise opening and

> closing it

Yes exactly.

Burbage Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What about six?

I'm guessing of course... but yes it sounds feasible that out of the six cyclists who use the locker, one of them might decide to ditch the car. Which is good, of course. I'm just saying that it doesn't automatically equate to "a gain in parking provision".

Jeremy,

Of course you are right that nothing would be guaranteed or automatic. But it wouldn't only require someone to ditch an existing car for this to lead to an improved parking scenario over time, one or more of the 6 could decide against getting a first or second car that they otherwise would have, because of the convenient cycle parking.

In general I admit I would likely feel imposed upon if this were erected outside my property. But objectively arguments about any material impact on house prices or noise over and above what is already made by motor vehicles seem far fetched.

How noisy are bikes these days??

Wrote:

> Just based on my opinion and that of my neighbour

> - not so much the appearance of it but what I

> think is the inevitable noise disturbance which

> I'd expect a potential buyer to factor into their

> property valuation. Maybe give estate agent a

> ring, if you're concerned, for their view.

>

> I think if it was uncovered like you see with

> motorbike parking then okay not a huge deal, just

> an eyesore, but does it look like a contraption

> that isn't going to be a noise problem

> occasionally late at night or in early morning

> when someone accidently or lazily bangs it shut?

I'd be happy to have one on our street. As an occasional cyclist the actual storage of my bike is a key factor in restricting my use, dragging it through the house from its home in the back garden..

Surely the thing could look a bit more stylish though? From the picture it looks awful. Is there scope for a design competition in the Borough or something around a standard frame?

I remember when the recycle bins came in there were a few voices worrying about the colour and no one really addressed it - now the whole Borough is covered with bright blue bins which ain't pretty. If we're going to have lots of these, which seems inevitable in the long run, at least we should try to make them look good.

Where would it go? Surely there is no room on a comparatively small green patch used mainly for relaxing and dog exercising? Any remaining grass would be ruined in no time. They look a bit ugly too, unlike the Ken bikes.

This should fit in on Goose Green..

Would solve all East Dulwich Parking Probs..

Create revenue and plenty of space for cycles too.

.. And near the station. and all the shops and restaurants..

http://www.graysshoppingcentre.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/car-park.jpg

Foxy Solving problems..

Atticus Wrote:

> DF, you habitually go after people and habitually

> get disproved. I'm no saint on this forum but your

> raison d'?tre here appears to be one of

> outsmarting, one which perpetually fails.

You are talking Bo**ox..

This is MY thread. I raised it on behalf of a neighbour who does not post here to get feedback on bicycle hangers.

I had not previously heard of the scheme and it would seem very few people I have personally spoken to have not

heard of the scheme or had letters through their doors to seek approval or disapproval.

If you are having trouble with someone adding a bit of humour from time to time, you are in the wrong place.

I find it sad that you need to join 'The Mob' in a vague attempt to appear popular..

..without adding anything positive yourself

DulwichFox

The mistake people here make is that they think / believe EDF categorically represents East Dulwich

and the views of the residents East Dulwich.. Well it doesn't.

It represents the views of a very small proportion of the residents East Dulwich..

..and the views of some that no longer live here. Tessa Jowell syndrome.

There are many people that have never heard of EDF, some that have but do not post here.

They have their say too..

DulwichFox

I don't think Fox has done anything wrong on this thread other than to state his opinions... and while they probably don't correlate with most of the EDF, I dare say that he's not the only one on his street who's not pleased about possibly losing a parking space.

Yes correct DulwichFox, there are about 35,000 people living in East Dulwich, and so far only a handful of people have shown support for bike sheds on their doorstep but it is somehow assumed that the rest of us are doing cartwheels over the idea of these pieces of metal junk lining our streets. Would it not be better to plant a tree at each of these proposed sites?