> -----

> > They came to quote for painting work at mine

> > recently. Gave a ridiculously long timescale to

> do

> > the job and overinflated price. And they were

> > late for the appointment which is never a good

> > sign.i hadn't noticed quite how many of the

> > 'recommendations' were first time posts or I

> > wouldn't have bothered getting them round.

>

> Mary, thank you for your professional opinion, I'm

> surprised you even called me around as you know so

> much about time scales and decorating work. Your

> budget was incredibly unrealistic, most of clients

> will pay me more that the competition to get my

> services, this is not unusual. In this thread

> alone I have recommendations from 20 clients who

> have a history of forum posts going back years,

> these are not first time posters, as you put it.

Really Brian??? I'm not a painter and decorator but I do have family members in the building trade who laughed even harder than I did when they heard what you were quoting! I found someone to do the work for a fraction of the extortionate price you were quoting and with a realistic timescale to do the work. My budget wasn't unrealistic but your quote was!

Despite some of the comments directly above, Brian and team recently completed some work for me (a complete re-decoration of my flat, including 2 x built in cupboards and some other carpentry-related bits and pieces) and I was most impressed by their professionalism and diligence. Their standard of work is of a high quality, and importantly, they took every care to ensure that surfaces and furniture were completely protected.

They managed to squeeze the work in to suit my tight timeline (in fact they completed the work a couple of days sooner than quoted), and took care of my flat and property whilst I moved out for 2 weeks in order to let them crack on uninterrupted.

With regards to pricing, having sought various quotes, I thought the pricing was competitive, with the added bonus of being able to kill 2 birds with one stone in completing the re-decoration and carpentry in one fell swoop.

With regards to "first time forum posters", that's probably because they, like me, have taken the time to register on the EDF to leave a review for a job very well done. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending Brian and will gladly be using his services again for any future work.

On a personal level, I found Brian to be an absolute gent, and was easy to keep in contact with before, during and after completion!

• 4 weeks later...
Brian and Malachi have just finished painting the exterior of my house and it looks great. I can't wait for the scaffolding to come down! They did a really neat job in repairing some of the mortar on the front facade so it looks really sharp now. They were neat and tidy and worked hard until the job was done.

• 2 weeks later...
Brian just repainted several of my sash windows and a selection of interior work including some ceilings and walls. Simply put, Brian was the business. He is very professional and easy to deal with. He works nonstop to get the job done is super quick with a high quality finish. He was very detailed in his quote and clearly broke down the best methods and options for getting the best results. He takes pride in his work - and cleans up afterwards. I see some comments on price just above. In my experience, he wasn't the cheapest nor the most expensive quote, all I know is I got what I paid for and was very happy. Also, he's a nice lad. I recommend him and will definitely use him again.

• 9 months later...

I completely agree with all the positive comments on this thread. I also agree that Brian's company is not cheap.

However, we wanted a job which meant we didn't have to redecorate for at least another 7/8 years.

In our first dealing with Brian, I could not help but smile - we experienced him as charming, easy to deal with and confident about what he could deliver. I told him "Brian, you realise you are setting yourself up for a fall...my expectations are high...I can only be disappointed". Unperturbed, Brian responded with "it will be fantastic", to which I replied "I have high standards...I don't like this...I don't like that...I am fussy...". Brian continued: "it will be crisp...the finish will be smooth...it will look like Buckingham Palace" (yes really!). I thought, this guy, whilst remaining courteous at all times, speaks with conviction and so we decided to give him and his team the job.

If I am 100% honest, I was kinda hoping he might have a minor slip-up somewhere so that I could have a bit of banter with him about not being quite so "crisp", or "smooth" or "fantastic" - never mind palatial. But FECK ME, Brian has delivered!

Thank you Brian, you talked the talk and you walked the walk. Hats off to you and your workers - especially Malaki who worked long and hard. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending you and your company.

I'm pleased you got what you wanted, but price is not always indicative of results. I also wanted a job that would last for a decade, and a year on I am confident that I got that. The chap who I got in to do the work did an utterly amazing job for a tenth of what I was quoted by Advanced Painters. I'll happily post back in several years time to indicate if I can still say the same.

• 5 months later...
Update. We had two poor and frustrating experiences due to incomplete and sloppy work with 2 different decorators who were contracted to paint our hall. In the end we called Brian to come and put the whole mess right - which he did (well Malachi did!). Whilst we were at it, we got Brian to quote us for 3 bedrooms. We also obtained 2 other quotes and, although not cheap, Brian's came in at the cheapest. Again, a beautiful job. I wish I'd used him from the outset; the others may have been "cheap" but in the end I ended up paying more because their work had to be put right. So, thank you Brian and Malachi.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian and the Advanced Painters team have just finished painting the interior of our modern two bedroom flat, and we are really delighted with the results. The painting has been done to a great standard, and is incredibly neat - this reflects the continued professionalism and care with which AP approached the job as a whole. Brian has also transformed our kitchen by repainting the (relatively ugly!) wooden cupboards a very cool blue/grey, transforming the space for a fraction of the price of a whole new kitchen.

Brian and the team are lovely to work with - exceptionally friendly, punctual and hard-working. They were also honest and upfront about costs from the beginning, and had a frank discussion with us about what they could and couldn?t do within our budget. No unpleasant surprises further down the line! We?d recommend them to anyone in the ED area, however big or small your painting job might be.

• 1 month later...

P.O.U.S.theWonderCat Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm pleased you got what you wanted, but price is

> not always indicative of results. I also wanted a

> job that would last for a decade, and a year on I

> am confident that I got that. The chap who I got

> in to do the work did an utterly amazing job for a

> tenth of what I was quoted by Advanced Painters.

> I'll happily post back in several years time to

> indicate if I can still say the same.

Any chance of sharing this chap's details P.O.U.S? I need someone who isn't going to charge the earth but who can do a good job at the same time. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Brian and Maliki have done a brilliant job transforming the front of our small Victorian terrace this autumn. They are friendly, knowledgeable, responsive and committed to doing a great job. Brian's enthusiasm for detailed, high quality finishes is irresistible and Maliki's focused and skilful hand mean that they have succeeded in surpassing our expectations for this work. We are extremely satisfied and look forward to getting them involved in more projects.

Brian,

Its good to see and hear all those great recommendations you have for your painting company. I have my own scaffolding company and have a couple recommendations myself so if you ever in need of scaffolding then please do not hesitate to contact me for a free quotation.

Kind tregards,

Charlie

F&Sscaffolding

• 3 weeks later...

I can also highly recommend Brian from Advanced Painters of Dulwich. His quote was very reasonable and the decorating was of a very high quality.

He was polite, did the work in a very timely manner and left our house tidy and clean. We are very happy with the end finish. Looks great!

We will be happy to use him and APD again in future.

Many thanks

Ben

They came, they saw, they painted; and what a difference they made. Brian and Malachi did a lot more more than it said on the tin. At this high-pressure time of year Brian responded to my enquiry within hours, came over to see what was needed and ? though I thought he was being pretty optimistic with his proposed schedules and what could be achieved in aesthetic terms ??the work exceeded our expectations on all fronts. Thoroughly professional, courteous, hard-working, minimising disruption ... we have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending Advanced Painters in the highest possible terms.

Many thanks

Diane

• 1 month later...
What a difference Brian and Malachi made to our facade. It wasn?t just the painting but the remoulding of our bay window sills and our front wall. I would definitely recommend them, they were competitively priced, efficient and dealt with all the problems we threw at them. A great piece of work, thank you

Advanced Painters come highly recommended by me!

The hallway and stairs (a 3 story victorian house in Herne Hill) have been transformed in under a week and look fantastic.

Brian and the whole team were friendly and professional from start to finish, from responding to intial request for a quote and agreeing a price, arriving on time every day, keeping things as clean as possible throughout, and working diligently to finish a very high quality job with minimal fuss.

Wouldn't hesitate to use the guys again. Big thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Really impressed by Brian?s professionalism, expertise, enthusiasm and exacting high standards. He was very communicative, and managed the works at every step. His quotes were fair and competitive.

Advanced Painters of Dulwich painted my bedroom, and re-purposed the decking and re-painted the outside walls of my terrace to an excellent standard. I also had some electrical works that needed doing; Brian leveraged his extensive network of quality, trusted tradesmen to source an electrician at a favourable rate.

They team were very thorough with their prep and focussed on quality of execution for that high-end finish. Malachi, Neil and James were conscientious, respectful, good-humoured and well mannered. I especially appreciated that they left the place in a clean and tidy state. I would happily use Advanced Painters of Dulwich for all future works, and highly recommend them to friends, family and co-workers alike.

Keep up the good work guys! :-)

• 4 weeks later...
I had a problem with water coming into our loft and asked Brian if he would look into the matter. He came around and quickly discovered the source of the problem which was a cracked tile. He undertook to repair it and the result was an extremely professional job which both repaired the cracked tile and the roofing felt which had become worn. Brian has carried out jobs for me before and I will definitely use him again.

• 3 weeks later...
Just wanted to add my voice to the many praising Brian and his team?s work. I was let down by another decorator and Brian stepped in at the last minute and I was immediately reassured by his calm, professional manner. His team redecorated my whole flat and did a few other jobs too. He might not be the cheapest out there but the standard of work was excellent, my flat is transformed. Brian was a pleasure to deal with throughout, he Was always contactable, very reliable and patient with my changing requests. You can tell he takes great pride in doing a good job. Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
I would highly recommend Brian. He provided excellent guidance, advice and completed the job, along with Malachy, to an exceptionally high standard. We are incredibly pleased with the work Brian did. Not only was the paint job excellent, he helped fix a few bits and bobs with the room and I have asked him to come back to help me with other rooms in the house.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Brian and team recently completed work on our house, which included both interior (living room, hallways) and external (anything wooden on the front and back of the house, including front door, window frames, etc, garden walls, metal railings etc.) a reasonably big job (taking just around 1.5 weeks in total).

Overall, we're very happy with the experience and I would recommend Advanced Painters - possibly not for people looking for the cheapest option, but for someone looking for: convenience, professionalism, piece of mind, an all in one service, and a very high quality finish.

My chief comments are:

1. Ease and convenience.

Brian came for a quote and sized up the list of requirements, giving me a fixed price upfront quote there and then. No messing around and the final price was what he said at the start. Maybe I could have shopped around and found a cheaper quote (I certainly had the option if I wanted it), but for me the convenience was worth it.

They set up a very neat camp in the back garden and at the end of each day everything was tidied and returned to their proper places, minimizing the impact on us. Each day they timed their arrivals to be just as we left for the day, and they wrapped up just as we got home, therefore there was enough overlap to pass messages back and forth, but no one was tripping over each other. Whilst Brian didn?t do the majority of the work himself, he was around a lot, giving instructions, checking on things and generally making sure everything went smoothly.

2. Timeliness and the ability to work around us.

We have two small children, so it can be a bit difficult to lose rooms and get things organised in advance. The team absolutely worked around us, starting in areas that we didn't need, and when rain unexpectedly set in and we had to turn to the indoors painting they took care of moving all of "the stuff" for us. Speaking of which, they were generally very happy to unburden us of as much of the work as possible. Brian even took care to remember the exact ordering of coats when replacing them back into our hallway storage - I don't think many decorators would go to that level.

3. Prep and finish. I was very impressed with how much care was taken protecting the carpets and fittings before painting started. They made sure to put down protective covering on the floor, furniture etc. There isn't a drop of paint anywhere it shouldn't be. Also, without being asked they repaired parts of the plaster work that had been damaged over time. They also noticed some water ingress near the front door and repaired the outside wall (the recent heavy rain showed that they successfully fixed the problem). The outside walls that were heavily weathered were all stripped down and made good before being repatined.

I would describe the results as near flawless. I got exactly what I asked for, plus a bit more.

4. Other things

About halfway through the work we had a (unrelated) boiler issue and lost hot water. I mentioned this to Brian and he was able to find a plumber for us who came to fix the issue on the same day and charged us a minimal amount.

In summary, friendly, professional, hassle free service. I fully intend to use Brian / Advanced Painters in the future.

Brian and Barry did an excellent job painting my flat. They were professional, friendly, helpful and respectful through out. I was very impressed with the high quality of the work, which was started promptly after the first consultation and was finished to high standard. Brian also kindly included a few extras such as grouting and painting part of the hallway. He was always available to answer any questions and give advice. I highly recommend them and look forward to using the team again in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
As a repeat customer I am very pleased to say Brian did another excellent job on my flat. Not only did he fix my skirting in the kitchen to an excellent standard, but he also helped fix an adjoining problem in the bathroom within the original quoted price. A superb quality of work, from a diligent and conscientious provider. I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a diligent, communicative and honest painter/decorator. I will definitely be using Advanced Painters of Dulwich services for my next piece of home improvement/project.

Brian was efficient and courteous throughout, Barry, who did the majority of the work was punctual and worked quickly and efficiently with a great eye for detail. Brian kept checking in on the works, guiding towards a high quality finish. There were a couple of extra bits that needed doing and Brian was able to quickly arrange additional resource to get the job done. Highly recommend.