X Box 360 Elite

ratty

Shu.Kurimu.Sensei Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Meh, any real hardcore gamer would have bung their

> 360's innards into one of these long ago...

>

> http://www.likecool.com/Gear/Gaming/Lian%20Li%20XB

> 01%20Xbox%20360%20Case/Lian-Li-XB01-Xbox-360-Case.

> jpg

>

> http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2008/06/05/l

> ian-li-xbox-360-case-is-just-weeks-away/1

That's not hardcore... if you were *really* hardcore, you'd have made one of these:

http://benheck.com/xbox-360-laptop-3-elite

David Mc Wrote:

> A life?

Got one babes - more fulfilling than some! :)

So I sussed the saving to HDD bit, but when I fed my router nearer the xbox the speed went down to 736KBps. So, it's back to the wireless adaptor for me. Sean - you still got that one to flog??

I agree Keef, especially 40 odd quid a year.

However having been a PC gamer for a long time, XBox live is far and away the most seamless, hassle free service, with the greatest uptime there is, and I can well believe, considering the sheer numbers and traffic, that the capital and running costs are positively behemothic!! (mind you it's microsoft, not like it hasn't got a pretty penny)

It's interesting that the Xbox ends up, if you buy all the add ons, costing the same as a PS3! Don't tell the wife though! :)

Sean - I might have another tickle on this off a work colleague - will let ya know of course!

mockney piers Wrote:

> I agree Keef, especially 40 odd quid a year.

I don't entirely agree actually, I don't think they make much money on the console itself. ?150 or whatever for a fairly sophisticated bit of kit is a bargain... half the price of a basic PC, similar price to an ipod, etc. So I would expect to pay extra for subsequent services. Although I agree that ?40 a year sounds like quite a lot.

Although I've not had any problems with my Elite, I do know 1 of 15 or so mates who had the rrod.

I wouldn't worry about the reliability issue though - it is the best gaming platform out there (I even switched from a PS3), with the best games and awesome online gameplay. Once you get one, you'll quickly waste away your wonderful life playing the likes of Halo/COD - and if you get the rrod, MS will replace or fix it anyway.

The machine is a rare example of MS getting something so right, and Sony getting it so wrong.

Indeed, I thought the customer service on RRoD was superb, you put in your serial number, print off the parcel force docket, they come round, pick it up. Within a week or two you have it back with new motherboard, and anything else fixed plus two year extension to the warranty, all gratis, plus free games etc if you're kept waiting too long (as happened to a couple of mates during the great silicon meltdown of 2006).

All to the tune of a couple of hundred million absorbed by Microsoft.

I know where you're coming from Jeremy. I believe Microsoft put up a warchest of something like 6 billion to get a decent market share in the console market with an eye to making future generations a full on home hub affair (everything from music and film downloads, through shopping to games, TV on demand etc) rather than a games machine.

Loss-leading the consoles themselves are standard market practice pretty much from the word go.

In fact clustering a bunch of 360s must be a very cheap way to get some real processing power on the cheap.

I do believe the first Xboxs were even restricted export items as the processor was considered a weapons grade item.

And when you think about it, 40 quid a month for some footie games on the tele, 3 quid a month suddenly looks a bargain, and the service, plus upgrades, patches etc, is nigh on faultless.

Think you'll find it was the PS3 which was restricted, due to the Cell chip, a shipment of a few thousand did go missing around the Middle East, google and you'll find the story.

Up to 2 weeks without a deck? I've heard worse from several associates, on several occasions. It's a great platform, but I'd rather pop down the arcade and play when it suits me these days.

There are rumours that this http://misc.insomnia.ac/random/deathsmiles.jpg may end up as DLC in English soon, along with possibly the wonderful, now improved Otome-Gradius, which along with Death Smiles, has its own custom stick for the 360

http://www.konamistyle.jp/upimages/001/051/itemOTOME-001p1_1.jpg (although the DS one has far better parts).

Personally, SF4 and VF5 arcade, plus a full Mame set are all I need at the moment.