Underhill Road CLOSURE 11 May - 6 July Thames Water works

Within less than a week of the work starting and the time frame has now been extended to 'end July' - believe that if you will.

That's a sixth of a year that Thames Water is blocking an important route and bus route (forget those travelling through, I live in Underhill and it's bl**dy annoying).

Maybe if they had to pay residents ?5 or ?10 a day for the inconvenience they might get the work done a little quicker - as it is there's no incentive for them to work at anything less than a snail's pace.

solar Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Will the p13 bus stop anywhere between Whatley

> Road and Underhill Road while it is on diversion

> along Lordship Lane?

Yes it is. You'll have to hail it from the diverted bus stops though.

• 1 month later...

I just called Thames Water to find out what's going on. Their internal system only provided the original dates for this project (i.e. the whole thing was due to be completed by July) so the lady I spoke to is going to ask someone from the project team to call me in the next 24 hours to provide an update. It didn't sound particularly promising - if I understood her correctly then it sounds like there's a lot more work to do before the project is complete so we may have to put up with this for quite a while longer. It sounded like they need to dig more holes further up towards Dunstan's Rd, which would presumably entail another few weeks or months of work.

The whole thing has been pretty farcical; I think I recall receiving one letter notifying me that the project was about to start about 6 months ago but have received nothing since. I work from home a lot of the time and the endless din of the heavy duty equipment, generators, diggers, hammering and shouting has been extremely disruptive. I know a few neighbours are retired and others have young children who will probably be at home for a lot of the school holidays so the impact will be particularly severe for them - no one is going to want to sit in their garden or even open their windows while this is going on as it's bad enough with all of the windows closed.

It's very frustrating that the residents in the area simply have to tolerate this. No communication, no compensation and seemingly no consequences for Thames Water when the work over-runs.

I'll post an update when I receive more info from Thames Water.

Bic Basher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> TfL claim the last day of the works is Friday with

> the P13 bus returning to Whateley and Underhill

> Road on Saturday.

I saw a P13 on the road today stopping at the Dunstans Rd stop en route to Streatham, not sure which direction it had entered Underhill from though as it couldn't have come along Underhill all the way from the Great Exhibition end.

Anyway, re the works, I was walking past during the day and asked the chaps who work on the site. They said they are filling in the road on Friday (i.e. today), laying new tarmac on Monday and painting the lines on the road on Tuesday so it should be open Tuesday evening.