Tiny Little Things That Cause You Irrational Rage

PinkyB

Fatuous self-important superficial boring faux-local faux-informative ad-bloated lazy press-release-rehash Absolutely Dulwich magazine. Despite the 'no junk mail' sign, shoved, but only part-way, through my door each month. This causes five things to happen:

1. Potential burglars are immediately alerted to the fact that no one's at home.

2. The cold air goes in and the warm air goes out.

3. When I get home I have to go straight out again to put it in the recycling.

4. I feel intensely irritated.

5. Every time I see the letter box brushes still bent out of shape due to the rolled-up magazine being jammed there for hours I relive the irritation.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> Despite the 'no junk mail' sign, shoved, but only

> part-way, through my door each month. This causes

> five things to happen:

'No junk mail' signs cause me not exactly irrational rage but mild irritation. Flyers, pizza menus, leaflets and free magazines unaddressed are not 'mail'. If something has been posted through the mail (ie direct mail advertising) the postman is obliged to deliver it regardless of what signs you put up.

You're conflating different things there. Magazines like that aren't delivered by the Post Office. Now that you mention it, though, the postperson often sticks a wodge of flyers through the door with the post and it does irritate me that they do this to raise PO revenue with no thought for the downstream cost in recycling. It's as though Southwark has to pick up the cost of bolstering the PO. Crazy really.

To me any printed stuff that's not addressed to me personally, or which is addressed to me but is the result of someone passing on my details (though clearly outside the power of the deliverer to judge this one) is junk mail.

It's the modern use of 'junk mail' that conflates things. As previously understood, 'junk mail' was unsolicited addressed mail, eg Reader's Digest prize draws etc. The Mail Preference Scheme should ensure you don't receve these. And you can sign up with the Royal Mail not to receive unaddressed flyers.

Not that I'm a fan of 'junk mail', but I don't understand why it's uniquely picked out as being 'wasteful'. What about the amount of energy and resources that go into TV advertising, billboards and other forms of unsolicited marketing? Printing up pizza leaflets could be seen as pretty modest by compmarison.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> People who talk about power "outages" rather than

> power cuts. Another Americanism.

I think that Power Outages may be due to Accidental damage..

Whilst Power Cuts are planned due to industrial action or political financial reasons like the 3 day week.

Conservative Government 1970?1974 to conserve electricity.

DulwichFox

Sports headlines heading an article that is really not news at all. For example:

England cricketer says: England can win world cup

Footballer says: We can win on Saturday

Tennis player says: I can win a grand slam

FFS - just do some of that journalism thing.

"Those jumpers that have the top of a shirt sown into them, to make it look like the wearer has a shirt on under the jumper"

I find these bewildering rather than rage-inducing. Is anybody willing to own up to actually having worn such an absurdity?