The Susan Boyle Factor...

jaybee82

cupid_stunt Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Having watched from the sidelines, like everybody

> else on planet earth, can anyone truthfully say

> that Susan Boyle ever looked like she was 'all

> there'?

Brain damaged at birth, Susan Boyle has diagnosed learning difficulties - if that is what is meant by not looking like she was "all there".

Max Clifford for once said something worth listening to this morning - that she should have been "protected rather than promoted".

I think this is one of the most shameful episodes in recent tv history - I hope ITV do their best to repair the damage.

@ BB

Is that the same Max clifford who handles Simon Cowell's personal press? Please don't tell me Clifford's suddenly developed a moral compass or I'll have a laughing fit.

As for the 'all there' comment, I'm just expressing what, I assume, most people are thinking or have thought about Boyle. It may not be PC but it's my opinion.

C-S - I wasn't questioning your right to an opinion on Susan Boyle - but, since so many column inches of press have been devoted to this woman (and I am including broadsheets alongside tabloids) then actually we might as well be factual and refer to her as having learning difficulties, rather than merely throwing around phrases that make her sound like a village idiot.

@BB

I hear you and appreciate your clarification. :) Thing is though, rightly or wrongly, most of her overnight success is down to that fact that she's the apparent 'village idiot' with an angelic voice, sort of like The Rain (Wo-)Man for our times, a female Benny Hill etc etc. Not saying that any of the crude shorthand descriptions make it right, I'm just saying that is what it is.

Let's put it this way, do you think anyone would have been surprised if she looked like Eva Mendes and sang like an 'angel'? Come on everybody, let's have some honesty right about now.

I saw the final, having somehow managed to avoid actually seeing/hearing any of the acts perform up til that point, and thought she looked absolutely terrified, like she was praying she wouldn't win, because she knew that the media circus she's been through the last few weeks would only be the beginning. Once they announced Diversity had won she couldn't stop smiling, started joking around with Ant & Dec, showing off her legs, and absolutely couldn't have looked happier. I'm sure that once she's back at home and things are relatively normal again, she can have a recording career where she doesn't need to appear on TV, be interviewed, etc. Not everyone wants to be in the spotlight, and I feel a lot of sympathy for her, especially after some of the nastier things the press and public have said about her.

BB I didn't realise she'd been diagnosed with LD, but myself and Mrs Keef were saying the other day that it was highly likely,she even looks mildly Downs, and I don't say that in a piss taking way.

I thought it was more like Cerebral palsy which can present itself in several ways. Either way I wish her well. You can't help but think that her life has been incredibly sheltered but protected by people who care about her. She certainly would not have been use to much attention. I have no experience of 'show buisness' but let's face it, it's not for the faint hearted.

BigPhil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> anyway not all female singers are good looking.

> just look at the spice girls. hidious !

Wow that's probably the biggest compliment that the spice grrls have ever had. I'm referring to the fact that you called them singers. i can think of another word to use which starts with an M & rhymes with singers.