Skips (people using mine) (Lounged)

SarahB

We have a skip outside our house which we have paid for. Over the last few days various people,unknown, and one in particular, have decided that they have the right to use this skip without asking us and have half filled it with their rubbish.

It is obvious that this skip is not communal and the majority of decent people around would accept this as fact.

Whoever has had the ghastly blue toilet removed from their house if you are reading this ....... shame on you for taking advantage of others in this way.

skip companies are able to provide lids for you if you are having problems with this - I know it's too late in this instance but they can give you covers which can be locked down to stop dumping (if your planning to keep it for much longer it may be worth asking if you company offer this). Other than that these people are no better than fly tippers essentially

It's always been a problem. The most effective solution I've found is to save all the rubbish up in an unsightly pile then get the skip when you have a skip-full. Unfortunately it is neither convenient nor pleasant, but there you go. I hope you're thinking up some choice phrases for if you catch someone dumping their stuff in yours..!

Conversely we always find we're subject to skip divers - rummaging thru' our rubbish for something to recycle. Overall in our neck of the woods the incoming / outgoing items just about balance. Tho' I can't think of anyone wanting an old blue toilet bowl!

bettet to use someone elses skip than dump the shite on a stret corner under cover of darkness

its like owning a car in London - you accept minor bumps & grazes on your wheels as part of the package - ditto smeone using your skip - I have both dumped stuff in other people skips and had my own populated by other people shite - swings and roundabouts

It's the unwritten rule of the suburbs "He who leaves his skip uncovered on the public carriageway shall, as a reward for such selfless, public-spirited generosity, receive everybody's unwanted household junk".

There will always be at least one item of an old bathroom suite. You should consider yourself lucky you didn't get the matching bath and sink too.

I have hired a few skips in my day and never had a problem with anyone "using" them. As Marmora Man says, you are just as likely to have someone grab something and take it away

If had a specific project on and needed every cubed centimetre of space then I would take steps to discourage people - but to say it;'s no better than fly tipping is a bit inaccurate.

Fly tipping = ugly mattress/washing machine on side of road, uninvited spoiling the vibe

People putting stuff in your skip = an already-in-place unattractive unit, probably not full and probably not going to be, which is being used for the temporary storage of unwanted rubbish. Who fills it is not really the point. Yes, the owner is paying for it but what's the harm overall? (with the exception of aforementioned planned projects which NEED every bit of space - in which case, take steps to inform people)

snorky Wrote:

> its like owning a car in London - you accept minor

> bumps & grazes on your wheels as part of the

> package

If someone puts a minor bump or graze on my Jaguar I'll rip their nipples off. Personally I like the package to involve me not hitting anybody else and nobody else hitting me. That's why we have driving tests, surely.

Why should someone who's hired (paying approx ?250+ a fill) a skip expect/allow others to use it? What a load of rubbish (pun intended) Snorky, ???? et al. If you hired a private space in a bar and put a tab of ?250 behind the bar, would you expect people not on your guest list to go and drink from it for free? I think not...

And yes, ibilly99, there are other things going on in the world to be worried about but considering the quantity of different things that people get narked off about on the EDF, I would say this is no less or more important than anything else.

red devil - I like your style.