fish chipsand more...... on east dulwich road

claudina

I spoke to the proprietor of fish chips and more on East Dulwich Road, and told him they were the worst chips I had ever had. I gave him 20 chips from my plate that were rotten bits of the potato.my granddaugher(aged 2) spat the chips out. Her brother did not eat his potion. His response to me was sarcastic and dismissive, and commented that we had one potion between four people. maybe I got what he thought I deserved.

They were the worst chips I had ever tasted.

If you enjoy the taste of old oil eat there. If you have any kind pallet at all don't bother

LC you have a point about the new potatoes. Peckham Rye. we did not have fish, glad you enjoyed. Although i was having a moan I would hate to think that my experience was a common experience of others. We need independent business to thrive.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had fish and chips from Seamaster on Forest Hill Road.

Not up to the usual standard, chips very hard and overcooked, fish also quite dry.

When i went back, was told that the potatoes were 'old' and that the new ones were coming in 'two days'. Also I was told I was the third person to have complained; after some negotiation got refund for the chips.

Back to a car ride to Emily's.......

"Fish chips and more" is our regular chippy and it's always reasonably good. Certainly never had inedible chips. Not doubting the OPs story, just adding balance.

People have recommended Codfellas on Bellenden Rd, but I've never had the good fortune of finding it open.

Why is it so hard to find a decent fish and chip shop? Is the overall demand not there? In years of living in the area I can't really find a good one - one like the awesome one in Rye for example. I'd like somewhere that they fry the fish and the chips "fresh" when you order (ok maybe that means the 2nd fry), plus offer grilled fish freshly cooked.

Anyone know of a shop like this close by?

I asked in there once where they sourced their fish from. Answer: The Sea. No hint of irony whatsoever. I tried again to pander to the lack of education. What port/fish market do you source your fish from? Answer: *shrugs shoulders*. I walked out.

The Flying Fish on Camberwell Church Street is excellent. Cooks most things to order, offers grilled fish, and far cheaper than the Sea Cow. Their mixed platter (cod, haddock, scampi, calamari) is amazing value at ?7.50 and would easily feed two. And they know where their fish comes from. Bit of a trek but you can phone your order in in advance, or they have a restaurant where you can BYO.

Cedges.. the only bit that suprises me about your post, is the fact that you were surprised. You went in with totally unrealistic expectations - it's just a regular chippy, it's going to be frozen fish fillets from the wholesaler. You might as well go into Dulwich Tandoori and ask them what farm their "lamb" is from.

Thats bull Jeremy. Any DECENT chippy knows exactly where their fish is from - not the trawler name, no but what port/market in general. They're the same chippys that understand the other 50% of their trade is chips so they buy potatoes, chip them and fry them and don't buy in frozen rubbish. (Yes pointing at you Sea Cow).

I was a big fan and regular at Semas Fish bar Underhill Road.

They used to do me a good deal as I only wanted a few chips..

However a couple of months ago on more than one occasion having asked for Cod I got a very mushy wet

piece of fish pink in colour with I believe may of been Pollock...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRV-kCa3Du4wp9Uuko4qynrZBSse-ibKJYjhFC1UX2zOqWAIEzlGyiC7KY

or even River Cobbler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL2NGpziDRXp5r0FlPAebrx-P2JdS6qF7R7WJayZkBXMZjUnsvdYhCRVQYow

It did not have the typical White Flaky texture of Cod..

Very disappointed with Sema's

Haven't tried Fish Chips and More yet..

DulwichFox

Baggs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Fish Chips and More serve chips in a cardboard

> box, not in paper. It is like being served a beer

> in a polystyrene cup. It's not right and it's not

> proper.

Do you get a plate and cutlery if you sit down / eat in ?

DulwichFox

Yep....and they let me batter and deep fry my burger once. Delicious.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Baggs Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Fish Chips and More serve chips in a cardboard

> > box, not in paper. It is like being served a

> beer

> > in a polystyrene cup. It's not right and it's

> not

> > proper.

>

> Do you get a plate and cutlery if you sit down /

> eat in ?

>

> DulwichFox

I thought Fish chips and more were generally ok.

Although I recently bought Rock and Chips for a change. The Rock smelled of ammonia! I googled it and apparently when fish is not fresh and starts to go off it smells of ammonia.

I ate a bit of it. I couldn't be arsed to drive back and swap it for haddock. It was pretty grim.

Archived