attempted mugging - North Cross Road

I agree - I think the confidence that comes with being fitter and doing martial arts might help make you look less like a target more than be any real use.

But I have had situations in the past (not in East Dulwich) that could have resulted in me being a victim, but my instinct was to fight back and although I was still shaken, it didn't knock my confidence because the perps had not got what they wanted.

If I had had time to think I probably wouldn't have fought back because afterwards, each time, I was hit by the realisation that I could have been badly hurt, but at the time, instinct just took over. I think that may be because I'd been a tomboy when I was young and used to fight a lot to protect my brothers.

Getting older has spurred me into getting back into my martial arts, because I don't like feeling vulnerable.

I do Taekwondo which is not the most useful martial art, but I love the fitness side of it, but if someone really wants to know how to protect themselves, Ju-jistsu it really good and effective even when you are smaller and weaker than you attacker.

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> LegalEagle-ish Wrote:

>

> > Maybe people who are able, should think about

> > increasing their fitness levels and doing some

> > kind of martial arts. I'd hate to walk around

> > being sacred all the time.

>

> Prevention is far better than cure though surely.

> And there is a difference between using your

> common sense and staying alert and walking round

> scared to death. If martial arts makes you more

> confident great, but I think in a situation that

> kind of response could make things worst.

>

> But I feel spending too much time dwelling on

> these matters is often self-defeati

Its not a case of being scared but of being sensible ,I can never understand why some women go around with massive bags full of their possesions and purses full of cards ,mobiles, ipods and all but the kitchen sink!

I WAS mugged on Goodrich Road at approx 9.45 pm on 17 June - three, possibly 4, black/mixed race aged late teens. Very much a team effort and planned attack with hoods up and faces covered. Really nasty incident, one eye balled me whilst another punched me to the side of my head, threatend to stab me etc, my holdall pulled out of my hands possibly by a third. I think they could stab/kill someone next time. It looks to me like there is a gang operating in the ares between peckham rye/forest hill road and barry road.

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you're okay. As I posted on the "walked safely to LL" thread, crime IS happening here, and there are real victims who, I might point out, are no different than anyone else, kung fu or not. There is always such a thing as wrong place wrong time, but I think many of us are starting to wonder what might now be the right place at the right time? I love how people who have just been lucky are so convinced that they don't look like victims. I promise you that to "Stabby" and his friends we all look the same.

Thanks. Well, I'm no weakling I can tell you but faced with an organised attack like I experienced I doubt many people could have avoided what happened. I would say that the suit/glasses combo probably made me a target. I think they were "swooping" around the area looking for victims and I would hazzard a guess that someone watched me get off the bus as barry road and phoned ahead so that basically I walked straight into them. At the end of the day its not worth dying over property and threats to stab must be taken seriously, trouble is THEY know that only too well...

Hi again, I just read your post on the other thread - I'm so sorry about what happened to you too. I think some of the people on this forum, and in east dulwich generally, need to wake up and smell the coffee (fair trade/organic, of course) and realise what's actually going on around here...