Family mealtimes - recipe ideas?

I don't know if anyone is interested in doing this... but thought I'd give it a try.

As Mr Pickle is currently not working we have the luxury of sitting down for our evening meal as a family. My children are 1 and 2.5 so I'm trying to build up a selection of recipes that are suitable for all of us - is anyone else in the same position and willing to share tried and trusted favourites? I've got a few nice home made pasta bake recipes (from my Mum) and sausage casserole type things which have proved popular with both kids and husband alike.

So far I've found the best options are things that can be prepared in advance then popped in the oven just before dinner time, less stress at the "baby/toddler witching hour" time that tends to happen in our house around 5pm!

Maybe we could post on this thread with ideas? If people are keen I'll post a couple of my recipes.

P x

Roast veges are a favourite in our house. My 1 year old loves butternut squash, peppers, courgette etc. roasted and given to her as finger food - we often have that sort of thing with fish and couscous so it's ideal for the kids and quick to prepare (and easy to make a bit tastier for adults with the addition of spices etc.). Unfortunately we're limited to things without eggs as my little boy is allergic - such a nuisance!

Will post a recipe to get the thread started shortly...

My courgette-hating son willingly eats this one!

HAM, COURGETTE & MACARONI BAKE (Serves 6)

2.5 cups macaroni

2 courgettes

2 tbsp butter

2 tbsp flour

1 cup milk

1/2 cup sour cream

2 cloves garlic

200g ham, chopped

parsley

1/2 cup grated cheese

Cook pasta until tender. Grate courgette and squeeze out any excess liquid. Make a basic white sauce with flour, butter and milk, then stir in sour cream and crushed garlic. Add the cooked pasta, grated courgette, ham and parsley. Spoon into an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with grated cheese.

Bake for 30 mins, 180C / 350F / Gas 4 for about 30 mins.

Good idea Pickle. Sometimes I start the day thinking 'oh god, what am I going to make for tea?' Sad I know but it happens!

On the odd weekend I make a massive lasagne which takes nearly a whole day to do. We have some that evening and then I freeze the rest in portion sizes. We have that once a week for about a month so it is well worth the effort (and cost).

Like you I have 2 little ones along with me and my husband. Roast dinner on a Sunday always has left overs to use on Monday. E.g. chicken with noodles/ rice/ pasta etc. Mixed up with a selection of spices it comes put really nice.

Can't believe I am writing this - it makes me feel so old and sensible!

This is such a good idea - get so sick of same things

Lasagne

Moussaka

Shepherds pie

Curries - thai green, tikka and mussaman popular in our house - can make up batch of the spices and will keep for some time

Chicken fried rice with peas

beouf borguinon (sp?) - bit of red wine never hurt anyone

Can i urge busy parents to check out my friend Jenny's book - Leith's simple cookery - really lovely recipies but all quite straightforward with not too many ingredients or excessive prep or cooking time

Mrs TimN

Lasagne - I haven't made that for ages, will put that on my list for next week, thanks Liz :)

Old and sensible, yes exactly. Although I still have moments where I feel like I'm playing Mum as in my head I'm not old enough for this yet ;-) However I do enjoy cooking, and being told something's yummy by a 2.5 year old is oddly satisfying!

I make a very easy veg pasta bake..

Steam some frozen green veg - peas, beans, broad beans, maybe some fresh asparagus or diced courgettes, baby leaf spinach. Cook some pasta spirals. Mix the veg, the pasta, some philadelphia, some grated cheese. Serve as it is or you could pop in the oven for a few mins. Is also nice made with blue cheese cubes stirred in.

Hi, this thread is a great idea. I'm afraid I don't really have many recipes to offer, but if you have any suggestions for quick meals that would be great! I work full time and as soon as I get home with my daughter after picking her up from the grandparents she is hungry and ready for dinner straight away.

My current favourite is pasta (always goes down well) with tuna and tomato sauce - heat a little bit of olive oil in a frying pan, chuck in a squashed garlic clove and a tin of tuna in olive oil, then add a tin of chopped or cherry tomatoes plus a bit of tomato puree (I use sun-dried tomato puree) and a few basil leaves, then just let it simmer for about fifteen minutes while the pasta is cooking.

I'm afraid I often resort to lazy things like omelette/scrambled egg, fish fingers, or even just ham and cheese, always accompanied by some veg of course! It doesn't help that my little one is a fussy eater...

Stir fry.

What we eat a lot is meze sort of meal... hummous, greek yoghurt with mint and garlic, potato salad, lamb kebab or chops, grilled halloumi, greek salad, roasted veg... people can take what they want so suits us... 2 veggies out of 5 and one bloke who doesn't really like veg!!!!

For those who do eat eggs:

Huevas rancheros

Cook some spring onion, pepper, tomato in a bit of butter till soft (roughly chopped) in a wok. Stir in beaten eggs, scramble so the veg is mixed in. Sprinkle with chilli sauce if wished, serve with wraps, grated cheese, guacamole, refried beans, salad, sour cream etc.

Home made garlic bread

Crush a clove or 2 of garlic. Mix well with about 1/3 block of butter.

Cut some thick slices of bread. Spread on the butter and put in oven about 150 degrees for about 10 mins. Hey presto garlic butter without all the additives and salt in the shop bought one.

Tuna pasta salad

Cook farfelle or penne or whatever

Mix in:

1 can of tuna - could use fresh if feeling posh...

Pesto

Olives

Caperberries

Red pepper

Lightly cooked beans

Sunblush tomatoes

Anything else that takes yr fancy - substituting whatever you or kids don't like....

Used to buy this a Carluccios in the far distant past but worked out could make for a 10th of the price!

I make moussaka at least once a week since I found out how easy it is. The cinnamon is key to tempting those tricky toddler tastebuds, I think.

Fry onion and dried oregano, add minced lamb, add tin of tomotoes and cinnamon stick. Wander off for an hour while it simmers. (can easily do this bit in advance and leave to cool until later)

Fry 5mm slices of aubergine in olive oil a minute or so a side, to cover bottom of your chosen dish in overlapping layer.

Pile on fragrant tomatoey lamb. Cover in cheese sauce (Rick Stein, from whom this recipe is bastardised makes fancy bechemal but frankly, who cares?) Bake at 180 for about 30 minutes until yummy looking.

Goodliz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Home made garlic bread

>

> Crush a clove or 2 of garlic. Mix well with about

> 1/3 block of butter.

> Cut some thick slices of bread. Spread on the

> butter and put in oven about 150 degrees for about

> 10 mins. Hey presto garlic butter without all the

> additives and salt in the shop bought one.

You know you can buy frozen garlic in little cubes? Makes this even easier!!!

I love this thread, as I am always drawing blanks regarding what to make for dinner.

I recently stumbled upon a meal (if you can call it a meal) that my daughter loves - pasta with grated parmasan! I thought it would be too boring and dry, but no, loves it!

Another favourite for us is a massive tomato and bean stew. It's not really a recipe - you just throw loads of veg (onions, a few potatoes, courgette, peppers, garlic) plus tinned tomatoes, chickpeas/ lentils/ beans and some stock. Cheap as chips and yum! We serve with rice or couscous and put cheese on top for extra fun!

PS I know how you feel, Goodliz.... we may as well join the WI!

My daughter has always loved Chicken with green lentils, & it's very easy. Put tinned (for quickness) lentils in oven proof dish with a stalk of rosemary & whole, unpeeled garlic cloves (as many as you like) and a couple of wedges of lemon. Place chicken thighs or leg pieces (the whole meaty ones, not drumsticks) on top. Season and add stock & olive oil. Bake chicken on lowish heat til cooked & skin crispy. Serve with bread and salad. I like this dish because ther's no chopping to do, and it's all in one pot, and you can't really overcook it.

we just had meatballs and rice, fastest meal I've made in a while!

good quality beef mince

breadcrumbs

egg

mixed herbs

grated parmesan

mix together and make little balls, fry them while the rice is cooking, serve with a big green salad, yum yum

I've got two daughters of 8 months and 2.5 years and I've found a few good recipes on the organix baby food website. Even the recipes for 7-9 months, if you don't mash them the whole family can eat them! Got a vegetable and coconut korma bubbling away at the moment and we all enjoyed aubergine, chickpea and spinach (I added a few extra spices for the non babies and served with rice)! Couple of good chicken recipes too. Check out www.organix.com

My kids seem to like a veg and ham tart - v. easy, pack of puff pastry cook for 8 mins in oven, then load up with anything left over in fridge, broccoli, carrots, peas, sweetcorn steamed in microwave, bung all on top of pastry with ham and cheese, cook for another 8 mins - very happy kids, very happy mummy.

Love this thread.

Some yummy ideas so far, keep them coming!

My two both enjoyed beef stroganoff with rice tonight - I pureed the stroganoff part for my little girl as figured I'd be pushing my luck expecting her to chew strips of beef with 3.5 teeth, and gave her rice with it. Toddler had his just like us, although I chopped the beef up a bit for him. I made it using an old WeightWatchers recipe I had, got it to the stage where the meat/mushrooms etc were cooked at lunchtime then reheated and added yoghurt this evening while the rice was cooking. Lovely!

We're currently ina rut so this thread is great inspiration

Hi Pickle. My three currently like this stuff, we should meet up now your home. Will text soon x

Lunches here are frittata. Several versions incl potato, cougette, pepper or sweet potato with goats cheese (leave cheese off kids section). Pitta with taramasalata/houmous/cherry toms and peppers.

Teas pesto pasta for speed. Pasta, pesto, brocolli, peas and sometimes mozzerella. Chicken fajitas are current favourite for messy tea. Chicken peppers onions without spices for kids. They like making it with tortillas, sour cream and cheese and then putting it all together (then it falling apart mid meal). Baby just gets the constituent parts which she throws on the floor when shes had enough....