Where next to live? ED too pricey

We agree- Sydenham is the place to be!

-------------------------------------------------------

> My friends have just bought a flat in Sydenham and

> it is lovely there! Good high street, lots of

> interesting cafes and a really good pub with a big

> garden out the back. If I had been priced out of

> ED I would probably turn my attention there.

I lived in ED for many years (Decades) moved out to South Croydon for more space bigger house, bigger garden no problem parking the car on the road or the drive, Croydon shopping centre is going to be re-developed next year to become the next new Westfield (same company) and all for half the price you would pay for a 4 bed house in ED. So moving out is not the end of the world.

AGW3 Wrote:

> miga Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> nowhere to buy a

> > decent coffee,

>

> there are 2 Costas where you can get decent

> coffees

There definitely are 2 Costas, I can't disagree with that.

I'd recommend Catford! I live in east dulwich but forest hill end. Catford now feels like ED/Peckham did about 10 years ago when we lived there, with a few start ups and signs of people with more money moving in. I work in Catford as a community physio so see it at close hand daily. Lots of builders coming in to gut houses in areas that historically there was little movement.

A few nice looking coffee shops one in Ladywell, one in Hither Green and another couple between Lee and Hither Green ( think its called Rhubard and Custard). Unfortunately I've never tried them out though as I'm always rushing from one place to another 😀

Our 2 bed flat also becoming too small for growing family. We went to South Norwood last weekend for a scout around to see what it was like, but it seems quite a big area. We went to have a look at country park which felt like I had gone outside London, but haven't visited the Lakes yet. Are there parts that people deem as better than other bits. The streets we looked at were near the station. The houses looked nice and most were well cared for, but the streets seemed a bit scruffy. It was nice that in Croydon council they have far fewer wheelie bins blocking the pavements.

The area by the lakes is nice. And the area by the country park is getting a lot better. There are one or two roads that I think are not nice but PM me foe specific details.

Did you go to the coffee shop at Stanley Halls? If not, try and go and meet some locals. There are a lot of newbies to the area and the majority I meet all say the same three things...

http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/property-news/new-homes/where-buy-zone-4-best-value-areas-are-still-tipped-house-price-growth

"The East London line extension to West Croydon has revitalised the area, yet homes around Norwood Junction are among the cheapest in the capital, with an average price of ?247,556."

From norwood junction to london bridge is 11 minutes on fast train.

Compromise eh. Live with aircraft noise or move. 45 minute cycle from Norwood tae London Bridge. Rough as fook though.

fazer71 Wrote:

> Yes that's true, but even that wouldn't tempt

> me.

>

> Too far from central London .

>

> Ideally the perfect move after ED would be a

> similar bicycle ride away from the smoke.

Totally untrue, South norwood like most places have their dark spots, however it is truly a lovely place. Most people who I have spoken to in ED are moving to Norwood/Anerly/Penge, beacuse they know, they will get more Sq foot for their hard erned money.

I think Se20 area somewhere in that triangle in between Anerley, Elmers end and Norwood junction..

There are some nice residential areas off the main roads and Sth. Norwood C. Park is there round the corner.

good transport link at birkbeck station and anerly with possibly the bakerloo line extension coming to elmers end..

Norwood junction with good connection is also there..

Also people are generally cool and nice; it feels like ...it used to feel!!..not only at heart but also for your wallet. You can rent a period conversion 2 bed possibly with garden at ?1150/1250 or buy it at 270/280k

Anyone agrees or disagrees?')

If Bakerloo doesn't go to Elmers End because of Bromley Council then it's possible that it could go to Norwood Junction.

South Norwood has got its edgy side, but it's real! The Country Park and The Lakes are lovely for a burb feel then a few mins walk for an urban feel.

There's a lot going on in the community which is really nice. I like the Captain Sensible garden...

fazer71 Wrote:

> Deptford

> Honour Oak

> Brockley / Brockley Cross

> All closer to central London.

> Why move further out?

Price. If you have a 500-600K budget (probably more for Honor Oak) then those areas may be preferable. If your budget is 300-350K and you would prefer a house rather than a flat then you have to move further out. I also had aspirations of a shorter cycle to work but it came down to affordability. I decided to buy a house in South Norwood with a longer cycle to London Bridge rather than a flat in Honor Oak. I guess it's personal preference of what you prioritise. I'm really happy living in South Norwood, but I don't deny that if I had had a half million/ three quarter million pound budget I would have probably chosen to live closer to the city. But at least I'm getting fitter this way....(and the trains are great if you can't be bothered cycling). I agree with vito, people around here are really nice.

Ha ha did you really have to ask that question fazer? Price is the biggest issue and for many East Dulwich is completely unaffordable. We couldn't even stretch to a dingy ex local authority one bedroom flat in need of complete renovation in East Dulwich. Whereas in Forest Hill we get a two bedroom flat with garage in beautiful condition and in a lovely green location for less money.