Where next to live? ED too pricey

Well depends what properties you want. We wanted ideally a private purpose built flat and Brockley has a lot of period conversions that were too expensive for us. Most of the purpose built flats in Brockley seemed to be ex local authority and whilst we had not problem with these blocks my partner has been a local authority leaseholder before and was not keen to repeat the experience.

Totally depends where you are. Brockley Cross is a bit scruffy (or always used to be), but other parts like near Hillyfields, are full of nice 3 storey victorian houses, often with basements and massive gardens. Had lots of friends around there growing up, and always felt very jelous of their houses (compared to mine in East Dulwich).

Maybe its because I grew up in a large American house that had plenty of rooms we hardly used but I?ve never really been desperate for a really big house. Its just more money and / or time spent on maintenance, cleaning etc. As long as my house is big enough, I?d always choose location over extra square footage. My house now is 4 beds and around 1,650 sqft. Its small by American standards but it works perfectly well for us.

Forest Hill over Brockley any time, Ok Brockley is in Zone 2 but it just doesn't have the nice feel I get in SE23.

We live on the Horniman side and trains from Forest Hill station are very good, with Overground or less frequent London bridge trains.

It takes me about 35mins to get to Bond St in rush hour.

Agreed?most people are in the habit of eventually looking on the bright side. I love ED but that?s also because I know it. When I visit other areas, nowhere else seems to have the same to offer (including more expensive areas that are more central) except a better commute. Of course that?s ludicrous.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well, of course everyone thinks the area they

> moved to is the bees knees... goes without saying.

Agreed?most people are in the habit of eventually looking on the bright side. I love ED but that?s also because I know it. When I visit other areas, nowhere else seems to have the same to offer (including more expensive areas that are more central). Of course that?s ludic

Annasfield Wrote:

> I've just moved to Forest Hill (Catford end)

> having lived in ED/Peckham for the last 8 years. I

> think it's better here except for one thing.

> There's only two trains an hour to London Bridge

> at peak times in the morning. Cross Rail has a lot

> to answer for!

This confused me.. there are trains at 0731, 0742, 0750, 0759, 0812, 0821 according to http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/FOH/LBG/tomorrow/0730/dep#outwardJump , and that's in addition to all the Overgrounds..

Maybe we have different peak times?

I think that's pretty good, no?

Giacomelli Wrote:

> Does anyone live in lee? I looked at a house there

> and liked it

We looked there before we bought. Some bits (further to the north AFAICR) are really nice, and it's overall a pretty decent area. It does feel strikingly more suburban than some of the other places in this thread. Hither Green next door to it is great (schools, transport, parks, cafes, pub).