Moving House and Primary Schools

Hi, I know there are a few threads about schools on here but thought that this is slightly different. The Katsu family are thinking of moving this year (hooray), still within ED and we are looking around at the moment. Recently, we met another family with slightly older children, and they mentioned that one of the things worth considering for the move is school catchment area.

Aaarrggghh, MiniKatsu is not even 6 months yet...I am struggling to sort out his childcare for now! I didn't think about schools, I don't even know when children start at primary school.

So what to do but turn to the experienced EDF parents. What do you parents with kids in primary school think? Surely there are no "dead zones" in ED...everywhere is in one school's catchment area, right?

Hiya,

OK, so children can go to half day (morning or afternoon) nursery from the age of 3 (ish - depends a bit on birth date and availability as to when they start).

They go into reception at 4 years old (staggered start either September or January, again depending on DOB), and then into Year 1 by the age of 5. Until they are 5 school is not a legal requirement, after that it is, and you are only allowed the standard 10 days maximum per annum off for stuff like holidays.

I think all the above is correct, but I am only going by my own experience with my 5 year old who will go from reception to Year 1 in September.

To get a nursery place you complete a form with the school - places are allocated by DOB, and also I understand an even mix of boys and girls - so my daughter actually got to start earlier than intended because a place came up and she was the next girl in the queue so to speak.

For a school place you have to fill in a Southwark Application form, either by post or on line, and then a couple of months later you find out whether you've been given a place. You can appeal etc. if you don't, but there is no guarantee you'll get a place in a particular school.

The bad news is there has been massive upset in ED recently because quite a lot of people didn't get ANY of the four schools that they put down as choices on the application forms for their child. In some cases people lived very close to their 1st choice school, but places are allocated first to special needs, adopted, then siblings, plus if a church school some church places (I think, again I have forgotten the exact criteria but it is along these lines, others will confirm I am sure), and this year in particular there were very few places left once those priority places had been given. I know some ED parents on Crystal Palace Road have been given places at Bessemer Road which is over behind Sainsbury's, and others have been given places at a school over near New Cross I believe.

Basically, it seems there are simply more children in East Dulwich than there are school places. I don't know whether this year was particularly bad for some reason, my gut instinct tells me this is going to be an ongoing problem, but I only know what I've read on the forum....and am just thankful I've got one in a school I am happy with, and consequently her sibling should be able to follow her there in 3 years (not being smug, just explaining why I'm not more clued up)...but of course the nightmare will all start again in a few years with secondary school, which really does worry me. Anyway, I'm afraid that unless you buy a house pretty much on the same road as the school you want to send your child to you really can't guarantee you are going to get a place. I do feel for you all over there as it is a horrible situation to be in.

The good news though is that if MiniKatsu is only 6 months old then there is plenty of time for things to change. When we moved to Nunhead 12 years ago everyone here was desperate to get their children into Goodrich, some managed it, and Ivydale really wasn't a very popular school at all. Since then it has changed completely, and for many (including us) it was 1st choice...and now I do the school run every day I'd say never underestimate the value of having your school 5 or 10 minutes walk away. I really don't know how parents who have to do the school run by car cope, though I know some just don't have a choice. Some of the schools which ED parents are now being given places at are, like Ivydale going to become 'turnaround' schools so I am sure by the time your little one is ready to start there will be choices. I know those who have seen Bessemer Road have come away feeling much more positive about it than they expected to be.

Hope this helps....don't despair...

Molly

Molly's pretty much said it all, the only thing I will add is that I have friends living in 'The Gardens' in ED & that does seem to be a dead area for primary admissions. They seem to have come of worst in the chaos of this years admissions and last I heard were still battling for a place at a school that wasn't at least 2 bus journeys away. So you might want to avoid that area.

Though your babe is only 6 months, it'll only be another 3 years before you're applying so you're wise to consider nearby schools to the house you buy now, chances are you'll still be there when application time rolls around.

Yes, the school no-man's-land def seems to be Gardens, where I am on Peckham Rye, then further up Forest Hill Road. Southwark Council admitted there was no primary school catering to this area these days due to population increase, but that doesn't help us much, though they are looking at possible locations for perhaps a new primary school I hear. Not that there are any. Anyway, avoid this area if you can.

Would agree about being careful where you move to! We moved from ED to nearer Herne Hill a few years back thinking we were still near ok schools and we've had a complete nightmare this year, we are in a black hole too. We were offered John Donne, 3 miles away. Please be aware of the change in measuring system for 2010 admissions, which is "as the crow flies".

Also for 2010 - 6 choices (I think) but pan-London ie not 4 per separate borough - so if you're on border of boroughs, instead of choosing 4 schools in (say) Lewisham and 4 in Southwark, you'll only get 6 choices from all boroughs...if that makes sense

Depends also on no of siblings and what form entry it is + if they have taken in any 'looked after ch' which is usually considered above distance. Catholic schools tend to have high sibling counts for maybe obvious reasons;-)

• 4 weeks later...
A good area to look at is the patch between Ondine Road and the top of Dog Kennel Hill. Lots of pretty streets tucked away in there and you have the choice of large family houses or purpose built victorian maisonettes with gardens. You are then in catchment for both St John's and/or Dog Kennel School. However, only Dog Kennel Hill has a nursery, St John's doesn't. If nursery is going to be important then definatly call the school before purchasing anything as it does vary from school to school.PS When doing property web searches don't get caught out by only searching for SE22, some of the prettiest streets in the block I have described are se15. PS, the most fantastic nursery is also in this neck of the woods - The Villa's - so if nursery is your current priority then you won't be disappointed by the area.

Lots of people have thought like this which explains the small catchment areas, and the increadibly high prices around some schools. Three years is a long time schools change, application procedures change and we will probably have a new primary around then. I know they are all long shots but you may find yourself paying a whole load more to live near the current 'good' schools and it can all change.

Having said that there are definately areas that have much more choice than others and some areas around the Rye with no choice at all.

sarahdarcy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

PS When doing property web searches don't

> get caught out by only searching for SE22, some of

> the prettiest streets in the block I have

> described are se15. PS, the most fantastic

> nursery is also in this neck of the woods - The

> Villa's - so if nursery is your current priority

> then you won't be disappointed by the area.

... I'd also add SE5 to that list. Streets near Camberwell Grove are lovely, within walking distance of SE22, near DKH school, and of course the fab Villa nursery (which also gets our vote!).

hernehilly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Please be aware of the change in

> measuring system for 2010 admissions, which is "as

> the crow flies".

please could someone tell me what does this mean?

I'd recommend moving a wee wee bit further away, and get more for yr money in... Sydenham!

I live just off Sydenham Hill (forest hill end), so about a 10 min walk from the Horniman, 8 min walk from Sydenham Hill station (12 min to Victoria) and my kids go to Eliot Bank school. I am one street into Southwark, and Eliot Bank is a Lewisham school, Outstanding in all areas of OFSTED and a lovely lovely school.

Just thought I'd throw it into the mix. :o)

Good luck!