The Peckham Coal Line urban park

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You're not from the groups we're talking about,

> so it's not really for you to say what should and

> shouldn't make them resentful.

Yes and no. I can't speak for other people, of course. But I am capable of a certain amount of empathy. I can understand resentment when someone is priced out of an area. Or things open up which are unaffordable for them. Or shops they use and value are forced to close, and replaced by an organic cheesemonger. But not sure I could understand resentment towards this.

I agree that the publicity should reflect the demographics but they appear to have taken this on board. So please can we give them a chance to do that going forward and perhaps people could stop posting the same thing over and over again and instead try to support something positive that's happening in the area?

Nigello Wrote:

> I think you'd have to be pretty churlish to oppose

> a public facility just because someone of your

> skin-tone does not appear in the preliminary

> funding-gambit video. Then again, such is (some)

> people's fragility and solipsism these days that I

> would not be surprised.

That's a truly terrible thing to say.

edcam Wrote:

> I agree that the publicity should reflect the

> demographics but they appear to have taken this on

> board. So please can we give them a chance to do

> that going forward and perhaps people could stop

> posting the same thing over and over again and

> instead try to support something positive that's

> happening in the area?

100 x this...

Thank you for your support, engagement and notes of guidance. We?ve written a blog about some of the bigger issues we face which you can read about here if you are interested: http://peckhamcoalline.strikingly.com/blog/how-can-we-make-the-coal-line-right - your feedback is welcome.

@peckham_ryu The Coal Line gives access to four otherwise blocked off arches. We believe that the rent from these and other potential commercial spaces combined with revenue generated from holding occasional events on parts of the park will generate the funds needed to operate, making it economically sustainable. This would likely be managed by a friends group with guidance form the council and set up as a charity, any excess would be reinvested in the park or put back into the local community.

http://www.spacehive.com/peckhamcoalline

Below is an old photo of the sidings in operation that you might find interesting.

20115185203_5a28e4272c_b.jpg

CC R C Riley transporttreasury.co.uk

http://peckhamcoalline.strikingly.com/blog/how-can-we-make-the-coal-line-right

TheCoalLine - thanks for sharing your thoughtful blogpost. You seem to be aware of the issues and perceptions that can arise and how you plan to address them in the future, which i'm pleased to hear. Onwards and upwards.

This is a fantastic project but I do have one major concern. Given the narrowness of parts of the Coal Line, how do you intend to manage the dual use of pedestrians and cyclists? I think many pedestrians might be put off using a space which is shared with fast moving cyclists at such close proximity.

Great project.

If it become incredibly popular cyclists will find other quicker routes.

You might like to ask the local community council and councillors if they could allocate some of their Cleaner, Greener, Safer underspends to immediately help.

Also the next round of CGS for financial year 16/17 opens for applications 7 September.

I can't wait until it opens.

As a former cycle campaigner and keen cyclist - some places aren't suitable for cyclists. Asking them to dismount for sections is unlikely to work. Funding should avoid using cycle funding as it makes people cycling feel they have access rights - understandably. much of the southbank riverside walk was funded with London Cycling Network budgets. no ne imagined how popular the area would be or that cycling would become impractical. But it does stick that so much cycling money was blown on something you can no longer cycle.

The New York highline doesn't have cycling - guess they might make an exception for little children cycling but I never spotted any. It was a great experience and appears a key contributor to helping some deprived areas revitalise. It is of a very high landscaping standard.

Interesting idea but I think, a little poorly delivered. I wonder if it is really aimed at the true collection of residents in Peckham, or if it is simply another step towards the Shoreditch-ification and white-middle-class-ification of our town.

Let's think a bit further outside the box and try to find something that will unite a diverse and increasingly disparate community, rather than add to the onslaught of unreasonably priced coffee shops.

Liz - IMO that is a totally unreasonable criticism. We're talking about a proposed recreational space, open to everyone.

Why don't YOU think of something the whole community can enjoy. And then actually put the hard work into making it happen...

Let's think a bit further outside the box and try to find something that will unite a diverse and increasingly disparate community

?unlike a pleasant green space to walk between two separate and arguably disparate parts of Peckham, without having to choke on traffic fumes? A space which might entice folks at the Rye Lane end to go visit places at the Queen's Road end?

Seems to me this ticks all the main boxes rather than needing to bust further out of one.

Liz_21 Wrote:

> Interesting idea but I think, a little poorly

> delivered. I wonder if it is really aimed at the

> true collection of residents in Peckham, or if it

> is simply another step towards the

> Shoreditch-ification and

> white-middle-class-ification of our town.

>

> Let's think a bit further outside the box and try

> to find something that will unite a diverse and

> increasingly disparate community, rather than add

> to the onslaught of unreasonably priced coffee

> shops.

I can't think of a more 'white-middle-class-ification' than think 'outside the box' - or was it irony?

HP

There's little that can be done to uncrowd a crowded city. People have to take responsibility for their own behaviour. What I see here is an excellent idea to bring an unused strip of land into public use. Just because some people can not 'manage' their own behaviour shouldn't be a reason for denying what could be a pleasant resource for everyone else.

• 3 weeks later...