Religion.....

Keef

Sticking my head above the parapet - please don't shoot! I am religous, I belive in God and Jesus, I go to church, my children are baptised. My oldest has just got into the local church school, which I am thrilled about, so she will get a grouding in her faith at school, as well as at home.

That's all I have to say, I am not an eloquant person, unlike most of you on here, so can't always put into words what I want to say, but as very few others have held up their hands I thought I should, either that or East Dulwich really is a mostly non-religous area now.

But out of curiousity, how many of you with children have had them baptaised/christened, but don't attend church? And why did you feel the need to have them baptised?

Jo

Fair play to you Jo! And it is a good point about the kids. Much like those people who chose to get married in the sight of God, just so they can have the white dress and big entrance, rather than to satisfy any particular faith!

fair play to you Jo. you state your case concisely. I am sure there are many others who feel the same and were not prepared to say so - a private matter for them. Hopefully you will have got the ball rolling on the seemingly secular Forum.

just to let it be known, we welcomed our little boy to the world with a humanist naming ceremony attended by atheists, agnostics, Christians, others and no doubt a few Don't Knows. The event was highly touching and enjoyed by all. Would have felt highly hypocritical to have him christened but wanted to mark his entry into the world with some sort of celebration

My kids aren't baptised (christened, whatever), and we didn't have a god-type wedding either. I think you're right that if you know what you believe you're better sticking to it. But at the same time I think the reason a lot of not-particularly-religious people might have church weddings, christenings etc. is becuase they feel they need to mark these events somehow and that the church offers the best way of doing this - not necessarily because of god but because of tradition, or a sort of collective habit. It's how things have been done for ages, so it feels more... I don't know... established.

Does that make sense to anyone else or is it just me?

May I second (or third or fourth) Jo for the parapetness, good on you.

For myself, i'll be going through a catholic wedding (for the missus) but my children won't be baptised, christened or indoctrinated. When they make up their own minds i'm sure they will. I'll do my best not to influence them one way or the other, just encourage them to follow their hearts and minds.

and yes ant, ceremony is very important regardless of belief.