Camberwell Bakerloo extension looking unilkely

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The new flats are likely to be more commercial

> (i.e empty investment vehicles) than truly

> residential.

While it's common knowledge that some investors leave their investment properties empty (particularly Chinese who don't want their property to become "second hand"), I don't think this is the norm.

Unless the finish is ultra high spec (which of course if won't be), leaving it empty makes no financial sense.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi bil,

> I suspect Boris favoured west London and indeed SW

> London a la Cross Rail 2 as core constituency.

> Livingstone you'd have thought would have favoured

> SE London being so Labour but didn't make Cross

> River Tram happen or Bakerloo Line extension.

> We need to come up with idea to make Camberwell

> and Peckham as attractive as the OKR in terms of

> developer contributions.

Lewisham council lobbied very hard to get the bakerloo line extension. My understanding is that they want to attract employment (and probably gentrification). Certainly both New cross (which has two stations) and Lewisham are already very well connected with fast network rail trains to London bridge, DLR at Lewisham and overground at both New cross stations so the bakerloo line is a bonus but not essential. I used to live in both areas. From New cross it would be mostly 7 minutes from London bridge and if you missed the train you could use the overground (east london line back then- always guaranteed a seat and then still get to London bridge in 10 minutes changing at canada water). Even taking the bus to E&C wasn't so bad because nearly all of the OKR has bus lanes on both sides so bus journeys into central are reasonably quick and there were a larger quantity of buses. Really convenient transport .... which is why I was so stunned when I came to ED (fabulous place to live) and it took so long (at least it felt soooooo long) to get anywhere unless you drive, cycle or get a scooter (which I'm considering). Slow trains, infrequent buses, 1 hour by bus to London bridge(zzzz) most of which is sitting in traffic on walworth road. Admittedly I didn't research ED transport options much before moving here and I assumed that being in zone 2 it would be quick to get to central.

I wonder what Southwarks stance was on the consultation. OKR, camberwell and peckham are all in Southwark but regeneration of E&C has been very slow (15 years so far?) and perhaps they wanted new tube to be in ready in time for the finale of the regeneration in 2030. If there were some innovative plans to regenerate OKR area like Techcity or kings cross I would feel less disappointed. In reality it's likely there will be numerous expensive blocks of flats like Bermondsey spa and what's happening along new kent road/walworth road.

In any case this area could do with some improvements well before 2030 . London overground at ED, London overground stop at Brixton (better connections) and sort our join up E&C's various lines (Thameslink, bakerloo and northern lines) as Rfolgado says.

wooo I let it all out!

bil Wrote:

If there were some

> innovative plans to regenerate OKR area like

> Techcity or kings cross I would feel less

> disappointed. In reality it's likely there will

> be numerous expensive blocks of flats like

> Bermondsey spa and what's happening along new kent

> road/walworth road.

Exactly this.

Jeremy Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The new flats are likely to be more commercial

> > (i.e empty investment vehicles) than truly

> > residential.

>

> While it's common knowledge that some investors

> leave their investment properties empty

> (particularly Chinese who don't want their

> property to become "second hand"), I don't think

> this is the norm.

That is true, but there is occupied and occupied. I would bet that the type of 'luxury' 1 and 2 bed flats which will no doubt go up will be either someone's pied-?-terre (so empty at weekends), or else buy to let investments offering the usual insecure, overpriced and unequal tenant/landlord relationships. It's not what Londoners need imo. But it is what speculators and developers want, so lot's of Londoner's money will be poured into it regardless.

I wonder what Southwarks stance was on the consultation. OKR, camberwell and peckham are all in Southwark but regeneration

Other than trying to push CPZ and cycling policies as revenue earners and part of their anti-car stance, Southwark has never shown any real interest in the lives of its constituents in Camberwell and places south, even Peckham. When it comes to either actual financial investment, or investment in officer time and energy we are a lost cause. Most of the activity you see locally is a function of works by Thames Water on flood control or Transco on gas pipe replacement. Road works are desultory and patchwork at best (I think the South Circular work was TfL not Southwark).

Don't expect any effort to be paid on lobbying for improved transport infrastructure; what little we have is done by local councilors, often fighting against, not in concert with, the aparat in Tooley St.

Penguin68 Wrote:

Southwark has never shown any real

> interest in the lives of its constituents in

> Camberwell and places south, even Peckham. When it

> comes to either actual financial investment, or

> investment in officer time and energy we are a

> lost cause.

Bellenden and Nunhead have received some support and investment in the past. Not quite to the extent of Bankside, Borough or London bridge (or E&C)

However I won't hold my breath for Southwark to lobby for better transport for ED, camberwell and peckham.

• 5 months later...

Yeah the TFL consultation findings supported the Old Kent Road extension... it's a shame they couldn't do both:

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/tube/bakerloo-extension

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

> Evening Standard today seemed to say that the Old

> Kent Road route has been confirmed. It was in the

> property bit though, so could be a big fat one.