former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

I thought there were a couple of posts following this one .

From memory they were complaining about politicians in general and persuing the line of can we have more info about the consultation that included the question of a new crossing near Somerfield /Co op .

Have they been removed ,or was I dreaming ?

Admin ,don't you usually say when you've removed a post ?

Have I gone bonkers ?

James

Could you please have a look at the pedestrian crossing at the junction of East Dulwich Road/Northcross Road/Ady's Road?

The crossing times for pedestrians is very short. When I'm crossing with my toddler, the green man generally starts to flash before we're halfway across, and has disappeared completely by the time we reach the other pavement. We can run if we have to - but it makes me wonder what problems the crossing may cause to anyone with mobility issues.

Many thanks

Hello James,

Can I please have another update re the wood yard on Barry Road.

Last time I asked a bush was cut down - however this was over 2 months ago I believe. It is now again impossible to pass with a push chair on this side of the road. More 'dumpings' have taken place recently which has included piling over in to the road.

When does development have to start - or more importantly when does the planning application have to be resubmitted?

It is ridiculous now.

Thanks.

Hi James,

I don't know whether this one falls in your ward or South Camberwell... (and apologies if it's already been asked about but I looked back through this thread to the start of Feb and saw nowt).

The northbound bus stop outside East Dulwich station's been closed for at least a month now, presumably because of the big pot holes in the road there. It's been moved up the road beside the park, and the 'temporary bus stop' stand has now been replaced with a somewhat less temporary looking 'temporary bus stop' sign firmly fixed up high on the nearby lamppost.

Do you know when the road will be in good enough condition again for the bus stop to return to its former spot? It was handy being able to run between the station and the bus stop, depending on impending train times/how busy the buses were. It's much less handy up the road, and also the bus stop, which can get crowded, blocks the park entrance. And it was a proper bus stop, with seats and a shelter, unlike the new one. And given the recent reported crimes in that park, it's not a spot I want to hang around in the evening if travelling on my own.

Hi Moos,

The East Dulwich Road, Crystal Palace Road, Ady's Road crossing is a real challenge and we've been trying to get the timings changes for nearly four years. I'm 6'4" and walking fast the green pedestrian phase is insufficient.

My colleague Cllr Richard Thomas has been exasperated with TfL who apparently control our lights.

We've tried a different approach of suggesting diagonal crossings a la Oxford Circus to try and get their interest.

I'll check with Richard the latest status on this and report back.

Tetra pack recycling.

Sainsbury's on Dog Kennel Hill now collects Tetra Paks for recycling.

From June the recycling station at Peckham Rye Park will go comingled which will enable space to start collecting Tetrapaks.

Where else in East Dulwich would tetrapak recycling make sense?

Hi genwilliams,

I have asked officers about all the Lordship Lane bus stops and while doing this added on the one northbound outside East Dulwich station which is in South Camberwell ward. Yesterday I pointed them all out to the council leader Cllr Nick Stanton and the terrible state they're in.

I'm awaiting a response and will update when my chaser of yesterday evening gleans anything useful.

'the terrible state they're in' - I use buses a lot and am a picky so and so (others might call it 'high standards' but I think it's a euphemism) and I don't think the SE22 bus stops are bad. Most are not vandalised, most have bins near them, the Countdown service - if installed - nearly always works and gives a good idea of when the buses are meant to arrive and the seats are clean and gum-free. Where are the terrible ones? I can think of other stuff that needs sorting, such as overcrowding in the mornigns and evenings and poor, sometimes dangerous, bus driving.

Thanks James. Sounds like you're on the case. To update my original comment - when I walked past the original bus stop today the holes in the road seem to have been filled, so it would be interesting to see when the bus stop returns to its original spot. Soon please!

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tetra pack recycling.

> Sainsbury's on Dog Kennel Hill now collects Tetra

> Paks for recycling.

> From June the recycling station at Peckham Rye

> Park will go comingled which will enable space to

> start collecting Tetrapaks.

> Where else in East Dulwich would tetrapak

> recycling make sense?

As with all recycling, the best place for Tetrapak would be right outside my front door, in the blue box i have been provided with - that would make most sense.

And cardboard - when will we be able to recycle this in Southwark? Anytime we put it out, the waste retrieval guys ignore it and put it in the green bin.

Can the LibDems confirm what definitive actions they intend to take during the next session, if elected, to improve the recycling rates in Southwark?

Thanks

I don't think admin allow political debate here - only questions like "my recyling bin hasn't been emptied " - think anything smacking of party political issues has to be relegated to the Lounge .

Moved to the Lounge as it is a more a political debate than about specific ED issues. I will be keeping an eye on these types of posts in the run up to the election as I do not want the forum (especially the ED Issues section) used for electioneering however I understand that The Chair will be holding political debates in The Drawing Room.

Nero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 'the terrible state they're in' - I use buses a

> lot and am a picky so and so (others might call it

> 'high standards' but I think it's a euphemism) and

> I don't think the SE22 bus stops are bad. Most are

> not vandalised, most have bins near them, the

> Countdown service - if installed - nearly always

> works and gives a good idea of when the buses are

> meant to arrive and the seats are clean and

> gum-free. Where are the terrible ones? I can think

> of other stuff that needs sorting, such as

> overcrowding in the mornigns and evenings and

> poor, sometimes dangerous, bus driving.

I think you will find "the terrible state they are in" refers to the pot holes and uneven surface in the road at the bus stops not the actual bus stops themselves.

Just an info point about one of your Councillors in East Dulwich - Jonathan Mitchell. FYI he's also our Parliamentary candidate for the lib dems,has lived in the area for over 30 years as an active member of the community and is not part of the Westminster establishment.

Here is a link to his blog which he keeps up to date with local news about what he's up to.

www.jonathanmitchellsblog.com

You can also find him on twitter or facebook under a search for 'libdemmitch'

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gh,

Tetrapaks. Currently 14kg of Tetrapaks are recovered per week from 6 collection sites at big super markets in Southwark.

Tetrapak recycling is done at one site in Europe in Sweden http://www.tetrapakrecycling.co.uk/Recyclable_recycling.asp. Over 70-90% of tetrapaks is low value cardboard. Shipping Tetrapaks to Sweden is environmentally dubious. Catch22. Enough scale is needed to justify a UK plant to make it eco positive but this is a UK wide issue and really needs national government or the Tetrapak company to lead.

I was told about a residential collection scheme where people could post Tetrapaks to an organisation in Glasgow but can't track it down.

Should Southwark collect Tetrapaks via street collections?

I've done eco life cycling mgmtm studies before. Without exploring the nth detail I'd suggest that kerbside Tetrapak collections appears like 'green wash'.

With so few Tetrapaks and low weight + recyclnig taking place in Sweden the allocation of space on kerbside recyclnig trucks seems uneconomic. You could predict that more kerbside trucks rolls would be required to allow for the dedicated Tetrapak spaces that wouldn't get much use. If recyclnig took place in the UK it would seem to make lots of sense.

I'd welcome views on this.

The East Dulwich councillors have selected the following schemes for our ?105,000 of Cleaner, Greener, Safer funded projects:

- Traffic calming in East Dulwich bounded and including Lordship Lane, East Dulwich Grove and Melbourne Grove specifically including Matham Grove. ?25,000.

- East Dulwich Carbon Fund funding measures to reduce CO2 and fuel proverty in East Dulwich. ?30,000. First ?25,000 allocated to addressing the 647 homes without loft insulation in East Dulwich which is the most cost effective way of reducing CO2. Last ?5,000 to try other ideas.

- Goose Green school greenwall planting along Grove Vale. ?5,000. Reducce the visual impact of Goose Green school on Grove Vale and as important create a much better play environment for school kids both visually, but also green wals absorb pollution and noise.

- East Dulwich Crime Prevention Fund. ?10,000. Further projects to build on the huge success of preventing crime in East Dulwich.

- Gating alleyways. Installing more alley gates in East Dulwich specifically on Northcross Road and Shawbury Road. Eliminating more anti social hotspots.

- Street trees. ?12,400. Planting more street tress in East Dulwich. So far around 220 tress planted in last four years. Plan to experiment with planting them in new build outs further from peoples homes and calming traffic.

- East Dulwich station extra covered waiting area. ?6,000. Matched funding with Southern Railways. Make using East Dulwich station into central London more comfortable and pleasant to use.

- Bicycles for Schools. ?8,000. Offer every East Dulwich school access to bicycle pools.

- Eco dry cleaners. ?2,000. Encourage East Dulwich dry cleaners to become eco dry cleaners. Currently dry cleaners use Perchlorate chemicals which can be carninogenic. Other chemicals can be less eco damaging.

I had also applied to other wards for CGS projects which were rejected:

- Expanding Dulwich Library ?5,000

- Crime prevention funds for Village ward, College ward, Peckham Rye ward. Really disappointed by this as easy cheap measures to reduce crime have not been adopted. Some fellow councillors seem to view crime prevention as purley a Police matter.

"East Dulwich Carbon Fund funding measures to reduce CO2 and fuel proverty in East Dulwich. ?30,000. First ?25,000 allocated to addressing the 647 homes without loft insulation in East Dulwich which is the most cost effective way of reducing CO2. Last ?5,000 to try other ideas."

Just curious to know how it is a fact that 647 homes do not have loft insulation. Are these just council owned properties hence the precision - if that is the case shouldn't they be done already without resorting to a special "fund".

What will the forty quid per home get spent on?

James,

Re Tetrapaks - When we lived in Wandsworth borough, they collected tetrapaks as part of the general collection of items for recycling. Would it be worth finding out what Wandsworth do with them? Perhaps they just separate them and put them in landfill but perhaps they have another better solution.