former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Yes, I don't think the Lib Dems thought about the extra stress on parents when they deferred the outcome of primary school places, nor of the implications of parents living near the boundary with Lewisham who have to decide whether to accept or reject an offer of a Lewisham school place prior to receiving the outcome of their Southwark application. There is a way parents in East Dulwich and Peckham Rye ward can show their displeasure at the delay in knowing the outcome of our school applications, by voting for the Labour Candidates in the Local council elections!

Please click link believe which gives a very different story to the answer you gave me about empty houses.

Is this information below false, if so can you explain why the audit commision gave Southwark council a red flag,

making it the second worst borough in London. Thanks

http://www.southwarklabour.co.uk/7267fa84-6829-4114-9dc4-d6cbae4015f4

what am I like, forgot to put the link.

• Administrator
As mentioned before I am being strict on this thread, it is not about electioneering it is about the councillor helping out on East Dulwich issues. I have removed some posts, especially the one that ended "parents in East Dulwich and Peckham Rye ward can show their displeasure ... by voting for the Labour Candidates." Please use the Drawing Room for election talk.

• Administrator

I said I am being strict so please do not post a link to a page on other party's website which has the title "Tory Housing Shame", asking the councillor to click on it.

Ask a question or tell about an East Dulwich issue which he can assist with. PM him with bigger election issues or ask them in The Drawing Room.

Sorry about that, I suppose everything can be seen as an election issue, but that was not why I asked.

Hi James, There seems to be conflicting information about empty houses in Southwark, but can you explain why the audit commisions report put Southwark Council as the second worse borough in London, highlighting especially the housing problems.

Administrator, Can you tell me why you did not remove my earlier posts when I first asked James about this issue, I find this very confusing. I removed the link which was put up to show James how conflicting the info was, but still you are refusing to let me ask James in my own words.

I take it you do not believe the school issue is an election issue.

• Administrator

I believe it is an election issue, which is why I am asking you to take it to the Drawing Room.

I did not remove your earlier posts because I did not read them all, just the one that had a link to a political party, so I stepped in.

Now please let this thread get back on topic.

Hi prdarling,

The legal advice given by the Southwark's lead officer on this must be different to Lewisham's.

Every boroughs interpretation of purdah rules appears different.

Yesterdays update was that with the extra time council officers believe they can finesse the draft allocations they've made and get another percentage point or two of parents receiving their first choice for their children.

From next year one unified London allocations system helping with people who live near borough borders.

If you live near The Bishop pub at 25-27 Lordship Lane you may want to comment on the attached premises licence change to allow the flat roof areas to be used as a drinking area. I'm keen on feedback from residents on Spurling Road, Crawthew Grove and flats above shops in that part of Lordship Lane (very northern end). Removing a condition that was presumably put in for a reason feels like a problem.

Hi James

Is there an update on the work re: Goose Green playground? Every time I am passing (twice a day) and spending time in there (often for lunch a few times a week after nursery) no work at all seems to be taking place.

There are 3 or 4 men sometimes shifting a bit of cement but they are mostly standing around smoking and chatting.

When I enquired with one of the workmen they told me by rights it should only take a few weeks to complete but he could see it taking much longer. When I asked if he were the only one doing any work he looked quite frustrated and just shook his head!

How do these things work, dont they have a site manager or something? Completion date?

Thanks a lot

Steph

James,

Can we ask the council to clear up / remove the memorial at the Peckham Rye / East Dulwich Road crossroads. It is now over three months since the accident and sad death of a child. The flowers have faded, the poems are smudged. I think it is time to clear up - some others have differing feelings but, overall, most seem to agree that there should be a time limit on such shrines.

Does it really offend you that much, Mamora Man? Not everybody will feel consoled by exhibiting their grief in this way but some will. Have you never been to Italy? These types of shrines can be found everywhere and offer comfort to some and a warning to others. Ignore it and let others feel comfort by it.

EDMummy - the EDF has debated this subject, there are differing views but I, personally, believe that the best place for a memorial or shrine is at the grave of the individual and not the site of the accident. If it were intensely personal then it would be maintained and kept clear. This is not the case, it is just unsightly and time for it to go, in my opinion.

Hi Marmora Man, reetpetite,

I've not felt comfortable replying before. Still feel very raw thinking about this collission and death.

Shrivelled up flowers are rather evocative of a life tragically taken.

The site is in Peckham Rye ward. I don't think it appropriate for me to request them to be removed and personally I would'nt be inclined for removal.

You could contact the Peckham Rye ward councillors or request it via Southwark Council Environment line 020 7525 2000.

Disappointed in your answer. As no one is looking after this "shrine" it's time for it to go. As I said in reply to ED Mummy - if the shrine were important to the child's family they would be tending it. Presumably they are now tending a proper memorial in a graveyard or cemetery somewhere - which is a far more appropriate location.

Local politicians should be prepared to make a decision - you seem to be ducking it. In response to many other requests you have made contact with colleagues and / or Southwark Council but not this one.

hmm I am really not sure how I would feel about my child's "memorial" being removed because it was unsightly. Yes the flowers are dead and it looks sad - rather fitting I think. Every time I see it I so feel for that family, and for the girl killed at the bus stop just across the way. I understand the council's reluctance to brush it all away and for once agree with their tardiness in doing so.

There are a lot of flowers on the lamposts in the 'Peckham Rye Ward'. There was yet another accident on Peckham Rye road on the otherside of the common only yesterday, 2 ambulances and a bike rider floored, ( not sure of outcome ).

But hey all the new roads and zebra crossings on your side of the ward look great James. I suppose it's that 'new kind of politics' that your party leaders are talking about. Starve the electorate of funding until they come round to your way of thinking. Lots of orange popping up over here so the ward could be yours, worth a few deaths I suppose.

MM for once I am ashamed to be associated with this forum. The idea of brushing away that poor child's memorial is so repellant as to render one speechless. It's the kind of nimbysm that non ed forumites erroneously think might typify this forum. Rather than attack Barber for refusing to send in the bin men, I suggest you hang your head in shame. Really shocking.