former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

The food waste pilot is to be extended to the blocks on Friern Road. Letters will go out during the nest fortnight and collections from brown communal food waste bins from 18 April.

I'm really thrilled with this and the orignal pilot wasn't testing any new concepts but this will be - hence I proposed it and suggested they start in East Dulwich at Friern Road.

ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP SO WE CAN FIX.

Also in April/May the council will start offering blue bins to replce blue boxes and bags to those that want them. Details to come later.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi skyblue,

> My perspective.

> It seems at best bizarre that some secondary

> schools in Southwark are taking Lewisham kids who

> are travelling past Southwark kids who've not been

> allocated places in Southwark secondary schools.

> Yet at the same time Southwark kids are being

> offered the places Lewisham kids didn't want in

> Lewisham.

>

> Charter School catchment criteria appears doctored

> by not accepting the pedestrian cut throughs of

> Wanley Road or Greendale to Blanchedowne.

> Kingsdale criteria works against some extremely

> local kids.

>

> These schools are now so well accepted that I

> would hope they could open up more to local kids.

> Which is why my eard colleagues Cllr Jonathan

> Mitchell, Rosie Shimell and myself have arranged a

> visit to the Harris East Dulwich Boys Academy and

> are in the throse of arranging a visit to

> Kingsdale.

James thank you for arranging these visits. Please can you let me know what happens. Could you please raise the issue of co-ed for Harris. If it changed I am sure that local SE22 families would start to see this school as a proper option. Further you have said that 34 out of the 44 children in Southwark who did not get any school in the first round came from SE22 that is 77%! To my knowledge Harris is the only school in SE22 - the answer to SE22's problems is on its door step -can you raise with Harris that there is a demand for a co-ed and that the historical reasons why it was not co-ed have changed .i.e. that Harris has now taken over the girls school which was resistant to being a co-ed with the then new boys. Can we think about the effect of the bulge years now on secondaries? Could Kingsdale expand? Many thanks

Hi skyblue,

I'll happpily let you know how ED cllr visits to Harris Boys and Kingsdale go.

Single sex schools. Southwark has more single sex girl schools than boys schools. It means that coed schools have more boys than girls and isn't as balanced in the way most parents and kids would expect. Personally I'm not keen on single sex schools - the research that says they're more successful is usually on selective schools - but if we're going to have them then broadly we need equal number of places between total single sex boys and girls schools.

What hadn't struck me was the how many of the 34 kids in SE22 were boys and how many girls. I'll find out.

Hi James,

Spotted your article in SE22 today. Somewhat surprised to read your comment about the issues to be discussed at next Dulwich Community Council quote "the renewed threat of Northcross Road Market operating on Sundays". It seems you have determined the solution before the discussion?

Hi James thank you for the reply. How I see it is that SE22 is a waste land for secondary school choice. This is borne out by the stats. I hope that you are able to get further stats from the council as mentioned in both our posts.

I do not understand the point re single sex schools 'that if we are going to have them we need broadly the same numbers of places', and why this has to effect (detrimentally in my opinion)SE22 families, more than others in SE post codes.

What ED needs is a Co-ed. The fact that so many children in SE22 did not get any place at all as a percentage of Southwark's total shows that these families are not choosing the local SE22 school which is Harris; and why is this? Because these schools are single sex. So the SE22 families apply for schools they just can't get into.

I note that the point was made that the girl's school, when it was Waverley, voted overwhelmingly to stay girls only. That vote was by parents six years ago. These children are no longer there. A consultation on admissions for Harris needs to include the wider community to include all parents at local primary schools so it can reflect the demographics of the area now. As has been said before on this forum, the school could be split to lower and upper and sixth form. There is an SE22 Charter and Kingsdale waiting to happen at Harris and parents will support it. I have raised it with friends today in the school playground who are put off from applying to Harris schools for their children because they are single sex. | also know families on our road who did not but Harris down as a choice for this reason.

Hi Marmora man,

The final decision by the Licensing Committee on North Cross Road market, after receiving recommendations from the Duwlich Community Council (DCC), was expected to confirm the DCC recommendations - ie no Sunday trading. This was very clearly the views presented to DCC of traders, shop keepers and residents who attended a special DCC meeting and of the petition discussed at that meeting.

The main Licensing Committee atttempted to take a different view when they met. Labour members apparently appeared to be acting in a whipped way - its a non whipped semi judicial committee. Labour members saught to throw out the DCC recommendations and have Sunday opening. After an adjorunment they realised they'd thrown out any changes. So the Labour members met in private. When they returned they decided to revote and final comprimise was that 6 months without Sunday opening and then another public consultation about North Cross Road market taking place on Sundays.

Hi James

Do you know what the speed limit is on Lordship Lane? I thought it was supposed to be 20mph? Can you confirm this, and if so, can the council post signs either on the side of the lane, or paint it on the lane. Its really dangerous crossing the lane.

Thank you

Hi trinity,

Apparentrly Wood Vale is 30mph and has never been 20mph. It was wrongly signed as 20mph and this has now been corrected.

Council officers have checked and they don't have the funds at the moment and would need to agree with Lewisham to change this to 20mphs - but they assure me its on the things they'd like to do.

This would need agreement of Southwarks - College ward and Peckham Rye ward councillors and Lewisham - Forest Hill ward councillors.

Hope this helps.

Hi James,Glad somethig is being done about the junction at Barry/Upland road.

Would there be any chance of banning spitting in East Dulwich .

Its such a filthy and and unhygenic practice,the pavements are toxic.

Maybe someone should urge the footballers not to do it,a very bad example for kids

Not much point in washing hands etc with superbugs rife if we all carry filth on our shoes,then get germs on our hands when we take them off.

Fines brought back I reckon.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi trinity,

> Apparentrly Wood Vale is 30mph and has never been

> 20mph. It was wrongly signed as 20mph and this has

> now been corrected.

> Council officers have checked and they don't have

> the funds at the moment and would need to agree

> with Lewisham to change this to 20mphs - but they

> assure me its on the things they'd like to do.

>

> This would need agreement of Southwarks - College

> ward and Peckham Rye ward councillors and Lewisham

> - Forest Hill ward councillors.

>

> Hope this helps.

It does help. Thank you

Hi James

As you may know, Peckham Rye Adventure Playground has been holding sessions on Saturday mornings for disabled children (mostly ASD) only. The sessions have been a sort of pilot scheme, and I understand that there may be some doubt as to whether they will continue. Could I ask you to lend your support to keeping the sessions going? I fear that whoever makes the decision may think that there have not been high enough numbers of children going along, but the weather has been very cold and wet until the last few weeks, and numbers would certainly increase from now on. There is so little on offer for children with disabilities, and soon to be even less due to cuts. I should mention too, that these play sessions give parents/carers a chance to meet others in the same situation and do some of the networking we usually miss out on. It means a lot to us to be able to take our children to play in a safe, secure place.

Thanks so much

This years Community Fund is open. You can apply for between ?100-?1000 for a community event - festival, outing, fun day, newsletter. Any ideas but you're not sure contact me.

The Dulwich Community Fund has ?15,000 which we usually divide into ?5,000 for each ward.

To apply you'll need to fill in a form by Monday 16 May and the event must be take place before 31 March 2012.

I'd expect us to decide by the end of May which events to support with funding. Get applying.

Hi James - in previous discussions a few weeks back think you said that the LL roadworks / gasworks up by Overhill Rd wouldn't have temporary lights as 2 lanes would remain open. Yet they have indeed appeared, and causing unnecessary tailbacks as only o e o the 2 is used at a time. Do you know why this happened? We seem a bit overkeen on lights IMO...!

Thanks, Al

jonny vantastic Wrote:

> Dear James,

>

> Do you and Southwark Council have an opinion on

> the release fees private car clamping companies

> charge whilst acting for Southwark Council?

> Yesterday I paid ?686.00 to have my vehicle

> released over a ?60 PCN I challenged by email

> which has yet to be responded to.

>

> Best,

>

> Jonny

I swear when I hear things like this my blood boils and I think a little direct action similar to the Arab revolutions is called for. ANyone know what the legal position is re removing clamps with whatever tools are required?