former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

The changes in Dulwich Leisure Centre classes have resulted in the larger 63 classes pw that could take 1,701participants to now 80 smaller classes taking 2,000 participants per week.

So a 18% increase in participants. Good start and I'll be pushing for even more classes until nearly everyone has a class who wants one.

What classes do you want more of?

Often Fully Booked: Yoga, Intermediate Pilates, Stretch Pilates, Aerobic Pilates. The Centre knows what has waiting lists every week. Toning Pilates... hmm not enough Pilates? also Pllleeaassssssee tell Southwark to make the website booking more user friendly:

We get the idea: you book a class and don't show: you pay this is repeated endlessly

Please list classes by time and not alphabetically

Show whole weeks by time within days and allow one click through weekly bookings

Hi Fuschia,

I've just reported te problem. Amazed that's not been picked up by regular inspection regime especially something that affects the safety of our younger citizens.

If you see any such defects in a Southwark park I'd encourage you or anyone else to report it yourself immediately either via [email protected] or 020 7525 2000. Personally I prefer email as I then have something I can track.

Then obviously feel free to escalate to Councillors if the service isn't as it should be or you think a pattern is occurring.

Hi James,

I hope you're well. I wrote to you last year regarding the state of the tennis courts in Belair Park and thanks to you the lines were remarked. Unfortunately it was a bit of a slap dash job in all honesty, certainly not done professionally and nothing was done about the nets, which are falling apart and held together by string that people have used to try and fit them. It's a great shame the nets cannot be replaced with new ones and I don't understand why this has not been done? It's obvious all four courts have been neglected for years. The courts are used and enjoyed by a lot of local people including families and children. It really would not cost a great deal to get them back up to a decent standard again. My journey home from work takes me past the tennis courts in Burgess Park - the courts there look new, in a fantastic condition and even have floodlights. I'm not asking for floodlights just some new nets surely this is not too much to ask for? Would really like to hear your opinion on this. Many Thanks Alex

Chesterfield Grove residents.

A number of complaints have been made to me about the Chesterfield Grove car wash which technically is at 94 Lordship lane. I've been surprised how far down Chesterfield Grove residents have been so annoyed to complain to me about it.

Council Planning enforcement officers have confirmed that its 1999 planning permission allowed for it to operate Mon-Sun 9am-7pm. Please see attached.

I've asked these officers to ensure the second condition about ensuring spray stays in the premises have been met.

I've also noticed what appears a recent new structure on site so have asked officers to ensure it has planning permission.

I'm sure this car wash can exist causing less nuisance to local residents and be a successful business.

If you have any concerns or issues please do let me know.

- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi James.

Can we have an update on this please? (Apologies if I have missed it).

Razors

Hi Razors,

I have asked several times for Planning Enforcement to look at this business and I understand this buisness has been more 'accurate' with the hours of operation but not perfect. Also, spray leaving the site and structures that may or may not have planning permission.

I've just asked for the latest update from Planning Enforcement officers.

Hi James,

I have just read yet another post about someone getting violently mugged in the ED area. I know there are cut backs in place but I feel it is more important than ever to have a police / community police presence in the area visible on the streets. I haven't seen a single police person on 'the beat' for as long as I can remember.

I've visited capitals in Europe that don't have this fear of just walking about in the evenings, it's terrible that that's the case in ED and generally London.

Anything you can do to help in our area would be much appreciated.

Best

Mr David

Hi. What's going wrong with Dulwich Library?. Just been in there and there are five trollies full on books waiting to be shelved, plus the regular returns shelf, plus assorted heaps. Given that the book stock is none too good, it would help if what books they had were actually on the shelves. They said something about waiting for volunteers to be organised. Where are the staff?

Not much of a service, in my opinion

Lynne

Hi,

I was just about to send you an email about the recent attacks/muggings around ED station and in Sainsburys carpark when I saw this thread.

In response to the recent reports (and a few weeks ago I was followed home), myself and my other female housemates are too scared to walk alone after dark, even in early evening. I wondered what is being done to increase safety in the area, I rarely see any police on the beat and there is no information on the local police and council websites.

Other local councils and police have reportedly given out personal alarms to locals, I think this would be a good idea for ED.

Thank you

Hi EDjules,

I've PM'd you.

Adding to that PM. Our local East Dulwich Police Safer Neighbourhood Team have personal anti attack alarms and many other crime prevention goods.

If you or any other East Dulwich ward resident would like one please send me your details - name, address, contact numbers so we can arrange for one to be dropped round to you -[email protected].

I'm also trying to arrange a session for our local Police to be present during the evening rush hour to offer personal security advice, etc. I've also asked if Transport Police team can put on some of their blitzs at ED station.

Thanks James.

Not sure another ticket blitz at ED station is going to help though; better they stand outside the station offering advice on personal security in the same way you've asked the 'normal' police to do. If for nothing else, to be seen.

Thanks James, do appreciate you getting back to people on here.

I think the alarms are really not the solution here. At least 3-4 people have been violently mugged (mainly women) in the ED area within the last weeks. The offenders obviously know, as do the general public, that there just aren't any police around on the beat anymore. Easy pickings! Also whats happened to the community support officers ?!

There's just no police presence on the streets, again i havent seen any for as long as i can remember. Friends & family dont go out at night by themselves. Do you think this is acceptable for the area ? Are you going to try and do anything about it other than hand out alarms ?

Its a very serious issue. In fact, rather than hand outs for community projects i feel that people would rather be able to walk freely in the evenings.

Best

L

James, do you know if there is any truth in the rumour that during the olympics there will be no police cover for south london as all resources will be around olympic venues? Could you find out what kind of police service East Dulwich will have during this period, or will it be a criminal free for all? Thank you in advance.

Hi Razors,

We will have near normal Police cover during the Olympics.

All Police leave is cancelled. Our local sergeant will be at the Olympics but otherwise the local East Dulwich Safer Neighbourhood Team wlll be on duty.

The Olympic park wills have 25,000 (7,000 from our armed forces) people on security.

Many Police from around the UK will also be helping in London.

Last week it was also announced that as a precaution against similar problems to last August lots of Riot POlice will be based in Southwark during te games.

Hi Razors,

I think he's in the VIP protection events!

Hi LarryDavid,

It is scary to hear of so many attempted attacks. The personal alarms are designed to raise alarm and stop an attack. They do help in some instances and if anyone would like a free one please email me your contact details.

We do have a Police presence. It's less visible at the moment because they're locally doing a lot more undercover work.

So we can't have it both ways. We want perpetrators to be caught but hard to catch them when in uniform!

I can assure you local officers take the situation very gravely.