former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Hi James. I seem to recall you are quite up on recycling, or possibly it was cycling but no matter as potentially affects East Dulwich - food waste recycling - food waste that is collected could contain bacteria such as salmonella could it not? When the waste is composted, is there any kind of sterilisation of the compost or could salmonella be spread around the parks and gardens in the compost waiting to be passed onto people or animals through contact? If not what prevents this? Thanks.

Hi Razors,

Yes, food waste will have bacteria in it and that could include Salmonella.

At the newish Integrated Waste Management Facility on the Old Kent Road food waste goes into big concrente bunkers which stew at over 60 degrees C for from memory 30 days killing germs etc. At the end of all this it can be used safely as a soil improver/compost.

I've had a detailed tour of the IWMF on the OKR. Interesting. A couple of disappointing bits but otherwise a definiate improvement on Manor Place.

IF you need any more info please don't hessiate to ask.

Hi James,

Can you tell me what the process is for controlling the local fox population and whether there are any plans to step it up? I used to see 3 or 4 each evening if I was walking or cycling home, but since the switch to food recycling bins there are more than that in my road alone. They seem to be getting even bolder and noisier in recent months and it's frustrating being kept awake nearly every night and/or having to clear up the mess from overturned recycling bins. I can understand the smell attracting them as some of the bins are pretty strong-smelling already; goodness knows what it'll be like if we have a hot summer and the food in the bins rots even faster.

In particular, I know of at least two people who encourage them by putting out food for them. Can anything be done about this?

Thanks.

Hi ontheRye,

Apparently junction redesign East Dulwich Road with Peckham Rye is in the hand of TfL who are pleading too busy until after the Olympics. Apparently after the olympics they'll review the workload they have and then give Southwark Council timescales. My hunch would be early 2013.

Hi Ms B,

Foxes are a perennial problem made worse by people feeding them.

Southwark Council has no fox plans.

You could engage one of the 3-4 fox catchers - they apparently cost about ?80 pw. They put a humane trap out with raw chicken. When a fox is caught you call them up for a replacement trap. They take the fox in the trap away and shoot it.

Latest news on the crossing outside the Co-op on Lordship Lane.

The BT telephone box was disconnected last week and has been removed today.

TfL signals are currently planning to install the signalled crossing equipment this Thursday and fingers crossed it will be fully commissioned next week.

Hi James,

Given that there was another serious car accident on East Dulwich road yesterday (i think the 3rd in a month or so) and tfl are too busy could we perhaps consider other measures, perhaps the mobile speed camera?

J

Hi H3+,

You make a really valuable point.

I've contacted Cllr Barrie Hargrove the cabinet member accountable for this and highlighted that for the last three years of publicly available crahs data (2008-10) 1 death, 2 serious injuries and 17 slight injuries and asked what measures he plans to mitigate the risks before TfL do anything.

If you'd like to encourage him please do email him at [email protected].

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Ms B,

> Foxes are a perennial problem made worse by people

> feeding them.

> Southwark Council has no fox plans.

> You could engage one of the 3-4 fox catchers -

> they apparently cost about ?80 pw. They put a

> humane trap out with raw chicken. When a fox is

> caught you call them up for a replacement trap.

> They take the fox in the trap away and shoot it.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware that the Council doesn't control the fox population given how extensive it is now. Unfortunately I've been out of work for a long time and it's not feasible for me to take financial responsibility for dealing with it. Is there any alternative solution?

Hi Ms B,

I'm sorry to hear that.

Ensure all food is kept in wheelie or caddy bins so the foxes can;t find food. If you know anyone feeding foxes as them not to. If you can work out where they live talk to the land owners about stopping it.

So in my garden we spotted that foxes were using our compost bin as a stepping stone to get over our garden fence. So I've removed our bin and spread the compost over the garden. I'll be keeping an eye on how they then get into and out of our garedens to make it more challenging. I'm expecting to need to install trellis fencing. Sorry I can't think of anything easier.

As I keep chickens and the foxes have killed 5 of them over the years I have looked into this as completely as I can. To sum up:

You cannot get rid of the foxes. It is not allowed and nothing not even "genocide" would work. They'd just come back. As James and others say just make it hard for them or just live with them (without feeding them!). Pee on your garden. At least it is extremely good for the garden and the compost heap and it saves water. No cooked food, no meat ever in the compost you'll get foxes, rats and mice. I have built a proper chicken coop for my chickens. Free range does not mean free it means lots of space. Now my chickens have lots of safe controlled space.

I've finally realised that if a fox is screaming in your garden at night driving you round the bend: open the window and clap your hands or call out not even that loudly. They'll leave for the rest of that night at least.

Razors Wrote:

> Chesterfield Grove residents.

> A number of complaints have been made to me about

> the Chesterfield Grove car wash which technically

> is at 94 Lordship lane. I've been surprised how

> far down Chesterfield Grove residents have been so

> annoyed to complain to me about it.

>

> Council Planning enforcement officers have

> confirmed that its 1999 planning permission

> allowed for it to operate Mon-Sun 9am-7pm. Please

> see attached.

>

> I've asked these officers to ensure the second

> condition about ensuring spray stays in the

> premises have been met.

> I've also noticed what appears a recent new

> structure on site so have asked officers to ensure

> it has planning permission.

>

> I'm sure this car wash can exist causing less

> nuisance to local residents and be a successful

> business.

>

> If you have any concerns or issues please do let

> me know.

>

> - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

>

> Hi James.

>

> Can we have an update on this please? (Apologies

> if I have missed it).

> Razors

Razors forgive me for sounding rude but who are you (in relation to the local community) that residents of Chesterfield Grove feel it appropriate to address you with the issue of the car wash in the street?

Hi KalimityKel,

I've had residents from several different Chesterfield homes approach me about the car wash and problems it is causing them.

Some of the employee behaviour as described would be beyond what any employer should find acceptable - verbal and physical intimidation of residents.

Razors forgive me for sounding rude but who are you (in relation to the local community) that residents of Chesterfield Grove feel it appropriate to address you with the issue of the car wash in the street?

I think you will find that Razors is actually quoting James who was being consulted by residents - the embedded system of 'quoting' content when it has already been quoted can confuse?

KalamityKel Wrote:

> Razors Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Chesterfield Grove residents.

> > A number of complaints have been made to me

> about

> > the Chesterfield Grove car wash which

> technically

> > is at 94 Lordship lane. I've been surprised how

> > far down Chesterfield Grove residents have been

> so

> > annoyed to complain to me about it.

> >

> > Council Planning enforcement officers have

> > confirmed that its 1999 planning permission

> > allowed for it to operate Mon-Sun 9am-7pm.

> Please

> > see attached.

> >

> > I've asked these officers to ensure the second

> > condition about ensuring spray stays in the

> > premises have been met.

> > I've also noticed what appears a recent new

> > structure on site so have asked officers to

> ensure

> > it has planning permission.

> >

> > I'm sure this car wash can exist causing less

> > nuisance to local residents and be a successful

> > business.

> >

> > If you have any concerns or issues please do

> let

> > me know.

> >

> > - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

> -

> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

> >

> > Hi James.

> >

> > Can we have an update on this please?

> (Apologies

> > if I have missed it).

> > Razors

>

> Razors forgive me for sounding rude but who are

> you (in relation to the local community) that

> residents of Chesterfield Grove feel it

> appropriate to address you with the issue of the

> car wash in the street?

No. I wont forgive you, you were rude without reason. Do you know where I live? No. Do you know how long I've lived there? No.

Hi James,

The pelican crossing on Forest Hill Road (half way up outside, near the Turkish Supermarket) is not working properly. The push buttons (on the left hand side if you are facing up the hill) aren't working so you can't stop the traffic on that side. It has been like that for a couple of days.

I couldn't find a link on the southwark website to report it. Can you tell me how to report it?

Thanks

Trinity

Hi James

I was listening to the radio and heard that in future if you want to get your windows replaced or fit a new boiler you will need council permission. They will then send someone around to do a "green" assessment of the house and you will have to do what ever work they recommend. Is this true?

I think there has been a proposal that if there is a planning application made 'green' measures could be forced on the applicant - you shouldn't need planning for new windows (unless you are in some types of conservation area or your house is listed) or boilers at all. I don't believe this is yet planning law.

Hi James - I sent an email and got one back saying I should report it via the TFL website. I reported it via that website and noticed that my case was immediately marked as closed. I also noticed that the same fault was reported 4 days ago and also marked closed.

So I rang up the tfl website and reported it to them on the phone. A nice lady assured me thatit would be fixed.

The fault is still there today. I have reported it again to the tfl website but it has been immediately been marked closed and the TFL helpdeask is not open at weekends.

How canI get the problem sorted out?

Trinity

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi trinity,

> Yes, either email [email protected] or

> call 020 7525 2000.

> You should highlight this is a road safety issue

> that needs to be dealt with urgently.

> If it isn't dealt with urgently please do let me

> know via an email right away.

Hi James,

Over on another thread there are suggestions that the food stalls on the North Cross Road market may not be up to EHO standard, and that Southwark Council may look the other way because the stall holders are posh ED folk and not Indian restaurants.

Where might someone gain information on EHO attendance on these traders, as well as figures regarding any allegations of food poisoning or illness made against the traders, and any other relevant data?

Hi Showboat,

My understanding is that all stallholders have to meet minimum standards. Insurance for all, food hygiene for food stalls. If you or anyone else feels a stall is not upholding food hygiene standards please contact [email protected] or 020 7525 2000. If that does'nt go well please escalate to me.

Hi mimmcc,

The Green Deal was passed into law last year but the regulations are still being finalised.

The idea is that homes should be insulated to reduce CO2 and energy costs. If someone chooses to replace a boiler in a home with no loft insultation they will need to buy a much more powerful boiler to cope with all the heat loss. So the idea is that insisting on loft insulation and any other practicable and reasonable insulation measures should more than pay for itself in a smaller cheaper boiler. Boilers are expensive but the enrgy consumed over its lifetime even more so. So the concept is to look at the lifetime costs of new boilers, etc. IF his needs a larger upfront cost and home owners can't make that upfront cost they can borrow, the Green Deal, against reduced future energy bills.

The other opportunity is when people decide to add space to their homes. The idea for that situation is that overall after such changes the home should be more energy efficient than before.

Hope this explains how I understand the coalition govt. is moving towards CO2 reductions.

The only problem I forsee is that UK buiders vary hugely in their quality of work and attention to detail. Research I've read is that UK builders on average don't attain levels of insulation required. Scotland insist on a smoke test (sure it has a proper better name than that) where you close all the doors and windows and then build up a positive pressure and release non noxious smoke. You soon see where the leaks of the smoke go and what hasn't been finished correctly.

Getting air tightness right is great for energy efficiency but also excellent for noise attenuation.

Hope this answers your question?

Hi trinity,

I've been away for a few days. I've just reported the Pelican crossing on forest Hill Road for not working.

Weird that TfL should blank you. Can you please email me your experiences and I'll then forward that to my TfL contact asking how they'll improve things for future helpful citizens.