former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

James,

Thank you. How many residents requested the brighter white lights, and were they all residents on the road in question? Is it possible to see the original submission- who was it sent to and when?

I ask because having a bright white light shining into the bedroom is going to be pretty oppressive and may interfere with the sleep of some- the lights are more or less at bedroom window height, so perhaps this could also be taken into account before a final decision is made? It is the sort of issue that one would hope all the residents in the street would be asked about.

It is great that the issue of paving is being addressed. Much of the existing paving is in good order, it just needs to be lifted, the substrate level adjusted and then relaid. The use of tarmac looks awful and this breaks up really quickly and does not work as a permanent solution. Simply relaying existing paving would be the best way of dealing with trip hazards.

Hi first mate,

Please follow this link to explore all the documentation for the Dulwich Community Council meeting last week when applications decided:

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=176&MId=4721

Iceland site latest planning permission. I've not seen anything come through yet and also drawn a blank searching on the council planning portal.

James, Thanks for the links. I have scan read everything available and cannot find any reference either to a request for white lighting on Chesterfield or anything regarding a decision on spend for this. There are various references to a gate for the alley on that road.

There are references to improved lighting and eco lighting on Lordship Lane.

Do you know on what page and in which document the information is held?

Hi first mate,

Sorry I thought all the documents were there.

When the meeting is fully written up with the decisions I guess all the documentaiton will be there.

Yes a resident form Chesterfield Grove applied .The summary of the bid was "A trip hazard regarding tree root systems along Chesterfield Grove. Walking is dangerous for all ages. Guide dogs can't manage all parts of pavement. Slip danger from over accumulated leaves. Re-grade lighting, leaves from trees block light making pavements dark. Trees are lovely in the right place. Solution: 1. Remove trees. 2. Relay pavements with proper paving. 3. Re-think lighting for the street."

The white light is my interpretation of "re-grading the lighting" and "re-think lighting for the street". Funnily enough officer concern is that other neighbouring streets will want the same upgrade. Whereas you're appear very against. Any reasonable curtain would keep this light out. If you have a lamp post directly outside your home as with other locations we can have a shield installed.

James,

Again, many thanks.

With regard to the lights, it depends how bright they are. I have to say I had not felt light was an issue, the existing lights seem fine, but understand that it might not be so for others. The pavements are certainly in need of proper upkeep and repair and wonder why this was not done some time ago. There was some work on the pavement last year and then it stopped- the workman commented that it was in some way related to the progress, or not, of a certain planning application, but this may be an urban tale.

The leaves are a seasonal hazard- not sure light would make any difference, but may be wrong.

The removal of trees is a little worrying- is the suggestion that the road should be tree free or that certain trees should be replaced with new trees? It appears that only one resident has suggested all of this, is that correct?

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi first mate,

> Sorry I thought all the documents were there.

> When the meeting is fully written up with the

> decisions I guess all the documentaiton will be

> there.

>

> Yes a resident form Chesterfield Grove applied

> .The summary of the bid was "A trip hazard

> regarding tree root systems along Chesterfield

> Grove. Walking is dangerous for all ages. Guide

> dogs can't manage all parts of pavement. Slip

> danger from over accumulated leaves. Re-grade

> lighting, leaves from trees block light making

> pavements dark. Trees are lovely in the right

> place. Solution: 1. Remove trees. 2. Relay

> pavements with proper paving. 3. Re-think lighting

> for the street."

>

> The white light is my interpretation of

> "re-grading the lighting" and "re-think lighting

> for the street". Funnily enough officer concern is

> that other neighbouring streets will want the same

> upgrade. Whereas you're appear very against. Any

> reasonable curtain would keep this light out. If

> you have a lamp post directly outside your home as

> with other locations we can have a shield

> installed.

One resident asked so your going to spend how much on Chesterfield?! Nothing to do with the supermarket you want, JB, delivering from Chesterfield? Guidedogs can't manage to walk along this street,really? Trip hazards? Please provide the evidence and stats to support your claims JB?

first mate Wrote:

> James,

> Thank you. How many residents requested the

> brighter white lights, and were they all residents

> on the road in question? Is it possible to see the

> original submission- who was it sent to and when?

>

> I ask because having a bright white light shining

> into the bedroom is going to be pretty oppressive

> and may interfere with the sleep of some- the

> lights are more or less at bedroom window height,

> so perhaps this could also be taken into account

> before a final decision is made? It is the sort of

> issue that one would hope all the residents in the

> street would be asked about.

>

> It is great that the issue of paving is being

> addressed. Much of the existing paving is in good

> order, it just needs to be lifted, the substrate

> level adjusted and then relaid. The use of tarmac

> looks awful and this breaks up really quickly and

> does not work as a permanent solution. Simply

> relaying existing paving would be the best way of

> dealing with trip hazards.

First mate the request was certainly submitted by residents of the street with the dark areas within the street the main focus of the request - in particular the alley ways, places where trees dominate the lighting area (blocking out light from the lamps). The street had been the target of several burglaries in a short space of time and it was felt that replacing lighting to slightly brighter than current would help act as future deterrent, hence the submitted request to the council.

It is also currently noted that many residents would rather walk in the road which is better lit than the pavement not only to avoid the trip hazards from tree roots but to feel safer.

I'm sure once the ball starts rolling with the implementation of the scheme and residents have been informed, that there will be an opportunity for input and discussion.

This is/was, after all, based simply on an initial request for work to be done from a completed and submitted form from residents.

KK, good to know more about this. Brightness of lights is a concern but perhaps these can be adjusted through the night. More concerning is possible removal of trees.......?

I suppose one has to wonder why lights were sited so close to trees in the first place. Anyhow, thanks for solving that mystery the main question at the moment concerns the new application, one that is open for consultation and comment but that cannot be seen, not even by a local councillor that sits on a planning committee!

James,

I agree with KK and first mate that the standard of lighting and pavements on Chesterfield certainly needs to be addressed. But I hope that there will be at least some form of engagement on the issue of trees - they add great character to the road, so if there are plans to remove them I would hope that residents would be consulted more broadly.

Thanks

Hi XIX,

We've not agreed to any tree removals or provided any funding for this.

Funding is ?6,000 for new white light lampposts heads. ?4,000 to strgihten and relay some paving where it's a particular trip and tree pit edges.

Hi First mate,

Still can;t see the planning applciation. So has raised with the head of planning.

Hi unlurked,

One resident made the formal application but we'd heard from others as well by email and on doorsteps. It's also clear walking at night along Chesterfield that the trees and lights are interferring with each other.

Hi Mustard,

I have reported the missing gate. Usually quicker to email directly rather than waiting for me to collect from the forum OR first try [email protected] and copy me as it can be a hit or miss whether things get fixed in timely manner.

Dear James

Which bright spark at Southwark council decided today was the day to repair the road under the bridge at East Dulwich Station? With the tube strike on everyone is using the road and the buses more and the surrounding roads are completely gridlocked. Buses are backed up to the Salvation Army building....

hope this is a one day wonder! cars coming down the hill were stationary when the lights changed, stopping any movement of the opposite traffic. and well done to the white van that decided he didn't want to queue like the rest of us, and decided to pull round us, onto the wrong side of melbourne grove (before realising why none of us had moved thereby blocking it completely before turning right gunning up the wrong side of the road under the bridge just as the cars were moving. All at primary school chuck out time.

loobylou Wrote:

> Dear James

> Which bright spark at Southwark council decided

> today was the day to repair the road under the

> bridge at East Dulwich Station? With the tube

> strike on everyone is using the road and the buses

> more and the surrounding roads are completely

> gridlocked. Buses are backed up to the Salvation

> Army building....

Oh yeah, like the council (if it was them and not tfl), didn't plan the work weeks if not months in advance and it was just coincidence. Get real.

I don't post often but whenever I do, I get some sort of abuse.

I don't suppose it was only me who was incredibly fed up with this...having got near to home having spent 30 minutes waiting for a bus (which kept being "due" and then disappearing from countdowns), it was very frustrating. Perhaps the roadworks could have been re-thought in the light of the planned tube strike?

I've been informally told the concrete will take a week to dry and then tarmac.

Seems ridiculous to do this in term time during tub strikes. I've asked why the works cant be covered in steel sheets to allow the lane to be reopened. It will always be painful but the council seems to be magnifying this from choice.