former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

I had to go to Dulwich Hospital for an X-Ray this morning, and was a bit surprised at the state of the pavements - I would have thought gritting the pavements between Lordship Lane and the Hospital, even just on the hospital side, would have been a priority given the pedestrian traffic to the hospital for X-Rays and blood tests etc!

Hi legalbeagle,

Well Southwark would normally BUT.

Southwarks salt/grit stocks is now down to 750 tonnes. It started at 1150 tonnes and has been regularly topped up. Normally each day 150 tonnes would be spread. Another 500 tonnes were due to be collected from Cheshire and delivered to us. Many councils have already run out of salt/grit. The government has announced today they've taken control of all salt/grit supplies - effectively Southwark's delivery of 500 tonnes have been nationalised.

As a result of this effective nationalisation the current Southwark stock of salt/grit will need to be conserved and instead of spreading 150 tonnes per day reduced to 100 tonnes per day.

So, I'd hope so, but taking this change of circumstances into account doubt it.

With Southwark's delivery of 500 tonnes of salt by its supplier to blocked by central government and the weather forecast of up to another week of freezing weather Southwark has to reduce its daily consumption of salt from 150 tonnes to 100 tonnes per day.

Attached is plan for revised pavement clearing in addition to all major roads being kept clear. This is a new document that I've 'feedback' on already.

Mr Barber

Could you please help regarding the roadworks and temporary traffic lights at the junction of Peckham Rye and East Dulwich Road. It really is chaotic, dangerous and adding a good 35 minutes to journey times down a very short piece of road. At the very least the temporary lights could be re-set so the traffic passed through much quicker.

Could you find out how much longer this is going to be in place.

Mrs Y Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mr Barber

>

>

>

> Could you please help regarding the roadworks and

> temporary traffic lights at the junction of

> Peckham Rye and East Dulwich Road. It really is

> chaotic, dangerous and adding a good 35 minutes to

> journey times down a very short piece of road. At

> the very least the temporary lights could be

> re-set so the traffic passed through much

> quicker.

>

> Could you find out how much longer this is going

> to be in place.

I raised this a couple of days ago on this thread but have had no response. I'm not sure if it's out of Mr Barber's ward or simply something that the council can do nothing about. There is a sign with an emergency number to call but no other indication of how long the works are going on for or who to contact about them. As you say, the crossing is dangerous (especially in this weather) and the lights have clearly not been set properly to allow traffic to pass through at a reasonable rate. Does the council have any jurisidction over this sort of thing at all?

Hi timster,

Its not my ward and I've been trying to get a sensible answer.

The southern Gas works were due to finish today. BUT gas is still leaking into the elxtricity ducts and they keep working until this is fixed.

So today they should end......but reality they'll need to dig at least another hole. :'(

Dear Councillor, can you grit Landells road? I'm happy for you do it personally, I'll even help!! Have not been able to get my car out for two days and have had to use public transport (jolly good show I hear you environmentalists shout). The problem is that I work in Ilford so it takes me at least two hours and costs a fortune...any chance of getting one of your lorries to take a small detour???

Hi Sue,

East Dulwich Grove outside Dulwich Hospital has been kept clear of snow and ice but not all the way to Lordship Lane.

Yesterday and today around 9am I walked along it.

With the government cancelling the salt replinishment contract Southwark has and effectively nationalising salt suppliers the salt stocks Southwark has can't be used to clear East Dulwich Grove pavement from Melbourne grove to Lordship Lane. We would normally. Extremely frustrating.

Hello James.

I have an observation. On Friday Alleyns school was open to all ages. On the other hand, the majority of state primaries were shut and I believe the reason for this in most schools was a shortage of grit to clear the paths. Isn't it interesting that a private school can open when a state school can't? How can they achieve it, and what can we learn from it?

Am I alone in thinking that part of the problem is that the state schools are playing scared? On a freezing day, children need to get into the school and get out. Nobody needs to use the playground, it's an indoor day. So the only hazard we're talking about is an icy path between the gate and the door. Now I agree, somebody might slip over. Shock horror. And maybe there are health and safety boxes to tick.

But what's wrong with this scenario: What if a school regards its fundamental duty as being to be open, and only in the extremest of circumstances should they shut (I'd argue Friday was far from the extremest of circumstances). If parents decide a path is too slippy, why not give them the right to keep their child at home. To overcome the risk/litigation problem, one teacher can be given the job of standing at the school entrance with a form to give to parents, asking them to accept that the path may be slippy and the school has done all it can to minimise the risk. (One friend suggested to me that another teacher can stand at the other end of the path with a certificate saying "Congratulations, you made it across the hazardous path". He did have his tongue in his cheek). If school turnout is low, instead of ordinary lessons, how about redirecting the education to group games/activities/music/assembly in the hall etc? Jeez, if anyone can do this, then teachers can.

It's one thing if not enough staff can make it into a school, but quite another if all that's between a school opening and shutting is a bit of ice (which many parents coped with on Friday perfectly well when they took their kids to the shops or on hastily arranged play dates instead of going to school).

I think we're becoming a nation of wimps, collectively running scared of excessive health and safety, and Southwark (and every other) Council has a part in this.

Hi Reg Smeeton,

Head Teachers decide whether to open or close a school. School Governors hold heads to account and stretegically guide a head.

I have found it surprising that nearly all businesses, shops, GP's, clinics, transport have been running but that quite so many schools were closed last week. It has been argued that many teachers live some distance away. Many people from such locations have travelled to non school work. Perplexing.

Eitherway, today of the state schools in Southwark

2/3 Childrens' centres open - the one closed boiler has broken and has no heat. Seems reasonable.

63/64 Primary schools open.

13/14 Secondary Schools open

3/3 pupil referral units open

So 83/86 open.

Hi dogcat,

I'm sorry. As per other posts Southwark's salt replenihsment contract was ripped up by central government last Thursday which means effectively salt/grit supplies nationalised and Southwark has had to ration how and when we use salt/grit.

We normally use 150-200 tonnes a day. We've cut back to 100 tonnes per day to keep main routes clear.

Hi Jeremy,

Latest news on the Concrete House at 549 Lordship Lane.

Last Thursday I sat on the Dulwioch Community Council Planning Committee to hear two planning application for this site - one for the chanes one related to change and its listed status - effectively the same thing.

After a relatively swift meeting the changes were approved.

This means the CPO with southwark buying the property BUT with a company recommended by English Heritage that now has planning permission to immediately buy it from Southwakr Council. So council tax payers are exposed for the smallest amount of time to this big capital outlay while the property will be amazingly sympatheticially restored into 5 flats.

Goods news all round and an excellent application.

I passionately care about our library service.

One of the first things I did when elected councillor was meet the head of libraries at our local libraries - Grove Vale and Dulwich Library - for a full tour. After much badgering Dulwich Library was opened for a 7th day each week and is now a seven days a week service. It was great that library staff in conjunction with their union agreed staffing roster changes making this possible. This has seen a doubling in weekly baby and toddler group attendance from 125 Dec?08 to 268 Dec?09 despite the snow. Weekly films clubs. Hopefully, we?ll have some adult learning soon rather than asking East Dulwich residents to trudge over to Peckham.

I?ve asked on many occasions whether a similar change for Grove Vale could be made. What days would you find it most helpful IF Grove Vale library could be open more? I?m hopeful that early in the next Financial Year something may be possible?

With an expanding population we need to grow our libraries. Opening for more hours helps but physically making more space for users. I?ve proposed a modest, very cheap, increase to Dulwich Library. Fingers crossed this rearranging will come to pass

James RE 549 Lordship lane will the owner be charged for the leagel costs,scafold hire and temp building work to make it safe or will he get away scott free with a big fat earner leaving us tax payers to foot the bill.

Bob S

Hi Bob S,

Any costs would be attached to the LAnd Registration. I would expect they would be deducted from the CPO purchase price.

So no, I would not expect the tax payer to foot those bills.

Importantly, this is all close to finishing which will mean officers can concentrate on other issues.