former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

Hi bloonoo,

Two local papers. South London Press and Southwark News. Former in the shops Tuesdays ad Fridays with Fridays habing more content. It covers Southwark, Lambeth, Wandsworth, Lewisham, Greenwich and a few other south London bits. Southwark News in the shops on Thursdays and concentrates on Southwark. Recently Southwark News has produced a south Southwark version for sale in you guessed it south Southwark.

Hi steveo,

Call the Southwark Council business helpline and THEN criticise it. Tell me what you think its failing on and I'll tell the executive councillor responsible that feedback.

Hi sniffy,

Weirdly where 20mph speed limits introduced drastically fewer crashes, collisions and most importantly injuries. Perhaps being told what the correct speed drivers should be going at helps them avoid driving badly.

Even just placing 20mph signs without any other measures brings down vehicles speeds and drastically reduces crashes, collisions and injuries e.g. Portsmouth.

Average speed cameras. Sad that on some roads they're necessary. Fines all go to the treasury. Redesigning roads ideal way of reducing vehicle speeds as they naturally get used at a safer speed. Shame fines arn't hypothecated to redesigning roads to make them safer.

Sweden have a national plan called from memory 'plan zero'. They are working towards zero injuries.

^ Sort of skirts round the issue doesn't it Mr Barber?

Aren't these free publications simply a waste of money, resources etc...

As is being expressed above.

And just my opinion, but these publications do reek of

'oh how good we are, look at the good thing we're spending your money on'

kind of political nonsense...

Whilst separately being a complete bore to read (just my opinion of course)

which also, during these times comes across as highly inappropriate use of resources IMO

So if I missed something

Hi Steveo,

I'm sorry you're appalled by Southwark Life the monthly Southwark Council magazine telling people about services Southwark Council provides.

How do you think councils should inform residents about what it is doing and what residents can expect?

DElivering leaflets to every home clearly reaches every home - except if a contractor gets it wrong. Email would only hit a tiny minority and probably not residents who need extra help. Phone people - that would be expensive and very hit or miss. Post - ouch that really is expensive. Leaflets in libraries - that was tried and doesn't reach many. Advertise in local newspapers - that would reach about 5% of residents. Billboards - I don't know the merits of them but probably not reaching universally.

Alternative is not telling residents when things change. Renovate the Dulwich Leisure Centre - don't tell anyone the swimming pool will be closed as they'll find out if they go swimming. Not really satisfactory.

I'm happy to propose a different approach but what is the different approach you're proposing?

You could produce Southwark Life with a front cover in colour, but the insides could be black and white on recycled paper, that would cut costs surely? If the cover is colour then it will still be eyecatching, but more ecofriendly and cheaper on the inside.

Hi Bloonoo,

My understanding is colour these days is roughly the same price for the volume print involved as B&W. You can imagine the discount for 10 issues per year going to 105,000 homes. I suspect the largest element of the cost by far will be the delivery. Trogging along to 105,000 doors!

Hi James - I can help you reduce the spend (and perceived spend) on your magazines as I do it elsewhere (I'm not a supplier btw). While I think Southwark Life is highly aesthetic - I can see where the money goes, but also know your Audit Commission obligations to produce said item.

I'll PM you if you'd find it useful.

If you're obliged to broadcast your services then we can't take this any further. If however you aren't then a poster nailed to a message board on Goose Green would be more acceptable and a deal cheaper than this vacuous magazine. The shiny happy people inside it belie the desperate state of social services. Don't let us have to read 'cash strapped' Southwark council anywhere ever again.

Indeed ryedalema. The Audit Commission do grade all councils and one of the very many factors is how its communicates with residents.

Hi Steveo,

I've checked and yes ryedalema appears correct. Audit Commission one of my pet hates. They decide how much auditing they need to do AND they decide the cost they charge us. No appeal on the charges. I've professionally project managed and they could'nt give me a project plan for their audit of Southwark Council. Needless to say it overruns every year by months. The charge every year goes up by much more than inflation. If councils had a statutory duty to obtain external auditors AND could competitively tender rather than have to go via the Audit Commission we could save more money each year than is spent on Southwark Life.

Am I one of the few people who get and read Southwark Life and all the rest of the blurb that comes through the letter box.

Does have useful info in it at times - I do tend to keep it for 2-3 weeks before it goes into recycling.

I agree with previous writers about CP Rd, was driving up there on Saturday after taking the cats to the vets in Peckham, going around 20 mph due to potholes, bumps etc when I was overtaken by a prat in a van on the wrong side of the road between North X and Whateley going around 30/35 mph fortunately there was no oncoming traffic otherwise. Regardless whether you make this a 20 mph zone or not there will always be a few idiots who take no notice. Is it illegal to put up 'dummy cameras'?

On Saturday the East Dulwich Police Safer Neighbourhood Team had an open day session for crime prevention advice.

Lots of people came along and they gave out 70 properry marking kits, 25 bike locks and personal attack alarms.

Good event well supported.

If you'd like any of these crime prevention items let me know.

I'll have one more go. Would you kindly let us know what that magazine costs to produce, print and deliver? Would you tell us chapter and verse whether the council is compelled to spend a certain amount on publicising its services? Could you also tell us who writes the fake letters in the front?

Mr Barber,

The first of my energy saving light bulbs 'blew' this week. Are there any plans to extend the recycling of these bulbs? At the moment I think you have to take them to Manor Place which is a bit of a silly journey to recycle one lightbulb.

Thanks

Trinity

Hi Trinity,

I've tried getting a collection point set-up in East Dulwich to no avail so far. Apprently under the WEEE rules the supplier has to be willing to take it back and dispose of it. So I could'nt get Southwark Council to support Karavan who were willing to act as a conduit.

This will sound crazy but officially you need to take it along to Manor Place or the Lambeth waste centre around Rosendale Road.

I'll make further queries. as this is silly.

Can I ask if there has been any discussion/progression re the junction at Peckham Rye/East Dulwich yet? I appreciate it may take a while to organise something permanent in to place but I really do think this is a matter of urgency or another life - young or old - will be taken.

Dear James

Re the Audit Commission, there is nothing to stop Southwark taking judicial review proceedings against the Audit Commission or indeed charging the Audit Commission with misuse of public funds, in other words making a complaint to the Fraud Squad. Call the CEO of the Audit Commission in, tell him his organisation has a deadline of x months to complete its findings after which time its members will be required to leave Southwark's property (by court order if necessary) and make clear that Southwark will not under any circumstances pay more than xx for the audit. Dare the Audit Commission to take you to court, my money says that it won't.