former East Dulwich councillor - how can I help?

I'm still patiently waiting for a response to my queries about secondary school admission criteria

how can parents understand an admissions system where the criteria vary so much ?

how can schools be compared if they are operating different admission criteria ?

why do the Harris Academies have a banding system that references national ,rather than local,attainment ?

how does the banding system work ? eg where some bands are oversubscribed how is the selection made ?

I'm being patient because don't councillors do all their council work in their spare time ?

Well, that's not strictly true. Elected council members get a basic allowance and then further "special responsibility" allowances. They are compensated for their time. Those with heavy responsibilities and not employed elsewhere are more lardily compensated.

A good thing, I'd say, or your local representatives (and indeed national representatives) would only ever be people for whom an income was an irrelevance.

You can check out payments here

All of which is not to say I think JB should be in thrall to the forum. It seems to me that he checks in pretty regularly and we're only one aspect of his constituency.

Knowing James well, he is a very hard working chap with a full time job and a young family. Apart from his surgeries, he is on various council committees. When I spoke wih him a couple of weeks ago at the Dulwich Community Council meeting he had 3 other evening commitments that week. In fact most of the councillors I have known over the years regardless of political parties, have been very busy people, those who are retired or work part time obviously can take on a bit extra if their family circumstances allow for it. I suggest that anyone who feels that they need an answer to a question, consider going along to your community council meeting and submit a question for the Soap Box session - it then gets recorded in minutes and you will get an answer, if not on the night, request that the appropriate official write to you.

Thanks BARA - good for people to be advised of this .

Would you know if it's possible to be on a mailing list re agendas for Community Councils ?

Does Southwark publicise agenda items of common interest ( improvements to Rye Lane ) ?

Peckham library had no notices ,does one have to look on line somewhere ?

Sorry if this seems dense and apologies if you're not right person to ask.

I need to write to Annie Shepherd the Chief Executive of Southwark Council.

What's the best address to get her at?

(The Southwark Website doesn't tell us - keeps on about forms and emails but I want her to have a piece of paper in her handbeing my letter!)

Others aside from the councillor may know this one so thanks for advice.

You can find community council agendas, dates and venues of meetings on Southwark council website - just double click on Dulwich CC (or Peckham etc) Also gives you the minutes of last meeting. When you attend the Dulwich CC they aske you to sign in and give address/email. Ambrose is the officer who manages Dulwich Community Council meetings - very helpful guy. he tends to sit at the back of Christ Church ( they use other venues in Dulwich and Herne Hill) near the door.

I think Annie may hang out in the Tooley Street Building ring 7525 5000 and ask to be put through to her PA to clarify address.

At the next BARA general meeting at the East Dulwich Community Centre Darrell Road, on Tuesday 8th December (8 pm) we will be having a general talk about Transport in the area followed by a small christmas social with nibbles and wine. All welcome.

Dear James

I have just discovered that LB Southwark's Revenues and Benefits Office is based in Bromley. This seems rather strange, could you confirm whether LB Southwark checked whether the local government legislation permits this? There are several statutes which prevent local authorities offering or locating services outside their geographical boundaries. If s.2 of the Local Government Act 2000 is being cited I would suggest that is not a proper use of the well-being power.

In addition, by locating the office in Bromley LB Southwark is having to pay business rates to another borough which again is not an appropriate use of Southwark residents taxes.

Dear Mr Barber

I thought I should let you know that my partner was hit in the face by a large branch as he walked on the pavement from the Goose Green roundabout down Grove Vale this morning. It hit him quite hard and just missed his eye - obviously due to the very strong winds, but think the trees need a trim in case anyone gets hurt (said branch is still attached to tree, did not fall off). It was one of the trees on the corner of the park nearest to the petrol station on Grove Vale.

Tessa has full time paid assistants to answer all her queries. They sometimes take her surgeries. Tessa over the past few general elections has been losing votes in Dulwich and West Norwood, and needs to keep a high profile to ensure her supporters vote for her. As far as I am aware, councillors do not get paid secretarial or admin support, although those with special responsibilities/chair committees are likely to.

If I recall correctly - Greendales comes under Robin Cruickshank Hilton the Tory Councillor under Village Ward. I maybe wrong. Robin is pretty good with local issues and lives around the East Dulwich Grove area somewhere as very keen on getting things right for local residents.

• 2 weeks later...

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Hi

> >

> > Can you help re a street tree issue?

> >

> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>

> Hello? Anyone there??

xxxxxx

Well I had a phone message from a tree person at Southwark Council, to the effect that somebody had passed on a message to him that the wrong tree had been planted outside my house. Eh? I'd be quite glad if after eighteen months ANY replacement tree had been planted outside my house!

He left his first name only and a number. I have left two messages on the number and nobody has called me back :-S

Sometimes life is just too short .....

Funnily enough, when I moved into the area and went through Peckham, I took one look at the library, thought it a horrible 1960s monstrosity and wondered when they were going to pull it down... Imagine my dismay when I discovered it had only just been built!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sue,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Exceptionally busy 4 weeks at work, home and councillor.

Can you tell me the detailed location of this tree that hasn't been properly replaced and I will chase it up.

Also, useful to have any reference number or your full name and address to tie your query with my query.

Hi Amelie,

Before the Lib Dems gained control of Southwark Council in 2002 the Council tax collection was outsourced to Liberata. Liberata at the time held quite a few such contracts and over time have moved the work outside of the borough. Amazingly the contract negotiated pre the Lib Dems allowed this. So Liberata employ people in Barrow in Furness, Bromley, etc.

The service Liberata provides for in year collection is not acceptable. They collect some after the financial year but overall we're not happy with their performance.

So the decision has been taken to terminate the Liberata contract. From memory this is a long two year process. Liberata to some degree are being shadowed and I hope that many of the jobs will return to the area with time.

As for breaching the laws you quote. This seems unlikely as the point back office work takes place would'nt be covered just the front office and we still have counter services in Southwark.

Hi TownleyGreen,

I'm a regular user of Greendale cycle and pedestrian route. Technically it's in South Camberwell ward. Its lighting was completely replaced over the summer and it is now better lit but still has a few gaps between lamp posts. Several other improvements to the ends to ensure more often clear of traffic. So its better than it was but would more lighting make it feel safer? YES.

The proposed Super Cycle Highway is along Lordship Lane and Dog Kennel Hill in recognition of the Greendale fear factor.

How can we get more lighting?

One route would be for you to apply for Southwark Council - Cleaner, Greener, Safer funding.

I could apply but often different party councillors in different wards take humbrage. So me applying is likely to generate a clear no - subtext don't interfer with my patch.