Car break-in, Abbotswood Road

Alex K

My car, kerb-parked on Abbotswood Road, was broken into some time over the past week when I was travelling. Nothing of value was in it but they checked all compartments and boot. A change purse with maybe ?4 in meter change in the pull out tray under the driver seat is gone.

They also left the door open a crack so the seat was wet. My neighbour, Stefi, noticed the open door.

Thankfully no windows were broken. They must have used something electronic to open it as I can't see any damage to the doors, etc.

No intention of filing a police report. 1) What good would it do? 2) It could only lower house prices in this postal code. **grin**

As always, be careful out there.

Alex K Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My car, kerb-parked on Abbotswood Road, was broken

> into some time over the past week when I was

> travelling. Nothing of value was in it but they

> checked all compartments and boot. A change purse

> with maybe ?4 in meter change in the pull out tray

> under the driver seat is gone.

>

> They also left the door open a crack so the seat

> was wet. My neighbour, Stefi, noticed the open

> door.

>

> Thankfully no windows were broken. They must have

> used something electronic to open it as I can't

> see any damage to the doors, etc.

>

> No intention of filing a police report. 1) What

> good would it do? 2) It could only lower house

> prices in this postal code. **grin**

>

> As always, be careful out there.

Because if no-one reports minor crimes, the police get less funding, and crime rises. Vicious cycle!

This happened to me last night in Court Lane! I was slightly confused as none of my doors or windows showed signs of forced entry but everything in my glove compartment was on the floor. They did not nick much of value at all but what confused me was whilst I was tidying everything up my car, it automatically locked itself ruling out me leaving the car unlocked. They obviously knew my model of car well (Audi A3) as they opened cubby holes even I did not know existed.

Hi Alex,

Our car was also broken in to the same week as you, we live just a bit further up Abbotswood Road.

We reported it to 101 and they did send an officer around who thought it was an opportunist trying all cars and hoping to find some unlocked. We can't be sure we had locked it and there was no sign of the doors or windows being tampered with, the door was left slightly ajar.

There was also a burglary on our road a few months ago (summer, I think). This was reported to the police who said entry had been gained through an unlocked back door.

We live on burrow road around the corner, last night our friends car parked in the road at the side of our house was egged all around slightly oddly. Would put it down to a late Halloween prank but was in a row of cars and all the others were left alone. Don't think related to the thefts but just seemed odd at the same time to target a random car.

My car was broken into on Rosendale Road last Wednesday - this lot did smash a window and stole my ancient Satnav. I must admit I had got complacent and thought Satnavs weren't worth nicking any more so mine was on the dashboard in full view. My Audi is 17 years old - another reason I didn't think anyone would bother with my car!

I called 101 and the police came very quickly. They told me Satnavs are still very much on the Christmas list of a lot of thieves who will sell them on in a pub for as little as ?10.... So do still hide your Satnavs away. Cost me ?75 for the window excess and the Satnav not covered as it wasn't locked away...