Rug Talk

*Bob*

the other approach is to by broadloom (ie carpet that is normally fitted wall to wall) and get it whip-edged (which is a term for a sort of over-stitched finish to the edge and a service some suppliers will offer...) this is a great way of getting a big (ish) plain rug at moderate price...

http://www.sensualrugs.com/naturalbr.htm

whip-edge looks like this

http://www.crusadercarpetservices.co.uk/website_graphics/subpage_graphics/carpet_whipping_1.jpg

RE The Rug Company

Super rugs, perhaps, but I have a problem with companies who seem to have a problem with telling people how the things they sell cost. I don't care if it costs ?10, or ?10,000,000,000.. just stop pissing around and put a price on it.

If you want me to 'email you for a price list', then quite frankly you can stick your rugs up your arse.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Casa Japara had a stall in the ED Warehouse. Quite

> nice organic spanish things - I have one on my

> floor currently - but not sure if they're there

> any more. Perhaps a google search would help.

She is still around .... here are her details

Rebecca Leathlean

Hello all

Casa Jarapa here! Live and well and currently housed at 148 Kirkdale, Sydenham SE26 4BB. I have lots of beautiful handwoven Spanish rugs, made from recycled cotton and machine washable - prices go from ?25 for a 70x120cm closely woven rug to ?165 for a 170x240cm ultra thick and heavy one (the biggest heavy ones are currently reduced in price). All sizes come in a choice of styles and thicknesses. I can order as big as 2m x 3m, and if you would like to order one this size it would be best to do some soon as I am off to Spain on a buying trip this Friday!

I've expanded my range now, too - I've now got Spanish ceramics, olive oils, spices, paella pans, terracotta pots, Cola Cao, mountain honey and tons of fun cushions, handpainted china, bags, nice cards, artwork (painting and photography). All kinds of great stuff. There's also a garden tea room at the back of the shop, with rotating exhibitions. There are currently paintings by Jesus Barranco on show and from Friday there will be photographs of Andalucia by Steve Powell.

Anyhow, back to rugs - Bob, if you still want a big shaggy bobby rug, please get in touch! I'll be happy to show you what I have or can get. My number is 07817-781501, and the shop is open Monday to Saturday (it will be staffed while I am away). Website: www.casajarapa.net

Thanks!

Becca

*Bob* Wrote:

> Not snobby about Ikea (well, ok, I am.. but it is

> great for some things and the design ethos is

> fantastic) - but the size required is quite

> specific and there was nothing which came-up.

My anti-snobbism regarding Ikea has been documented on these pages and widely ridiculued! However... I bought a red-ish rug there to go in my first flat, when I had to furnish it on a shoestring. I kept telling myself that it would eventually stop shedding red fluff everywhere, but it continued indefinitely. I wouldn't buy a rug from there again - you get what you pay for.

Becca - thanks for that.

We have all but decided on getting our Rug Action from 'Woven Ground', but will swing by Zenoria in between and have a look for sure.

Jez.. we also have an Ikea rug from a flat long since flogged, which simply refuses to die. It's so rough, you could probably grate cheese on it, but I just can't bring myself to bin it.

Jeremy Wrote:

> > However... I bought a red-ish rug there to go in

> my first flat, when I had to furnish it on a

> shoestring. I kept telling myself that it would

> eventually stop shedding red fluff everywhere, but

> it continued indefinitely. I wouldn't buy a rug

> from there again - you get what you pay for.

xxxxxxx

I've had some good rugs from Ikea, and none of them has ever shed fluff :)

• 2 months later...

Happy New Year everyone! Just to let you know that...

Alhambra/Casa Jarapa rugs is are having our first sale of the new decade with

up to 50% off rugs!

There are selected price-cuts on our other stock as well. Nearly everything

is reduced, and the sale runs until 24 January.

Please do come along to 148 Kirkdale SE26 4BB and bag a bargain, or just visit for some tea and home-made cake! Oh - and one more thing: we are starting with home-made soup at lunchtime. Advance bookings very welcome - please just give us a call on 020-3417 6385 or 07817-781501.

Happy new year to all, and my best wishes for a peaceful, happy and prosperous new decade.

Lastly, if you are reading this from afar, you could take a look at our website and if you see something you like, please email or phone us to see about a discount. We are at www.casajarapa.net

Look forward to seeing some of you soon!

Becca