10 month old-No no to solids -Help !

ymenik21

Dear mums and dads

Our little one who used to eat bowls of food,specially her apple cereal hates the sight of her food since last Friday.She wont eat anything home made but will have few mouthfuls of jar foods or banana,that's all.

I don't understand whats wrong with her,thought its teething since her first two teeth can be felt but they ve been like that for months ..

She will have her breastfeeds happily but no no to solids and she does not seems to be hungry either,very cheerful and happy till she sees the spoon and the bib .

This is making me feel really stressed even though I sort of try my best to feel RELAXED about it,I don't know how to.

Please please Help !!

Cheers

Sam

It's so stressful when they refuse food isn't it? I've been there many times with my daughter (not so much with my son), and honestly do try to relax. She won't starve herself, it could be a number of things - teeth, not feeling very well, or just a phase. Great that she's still happily taking breastfeeds, just keep offering food at the usual times and see what happens, she'll probably start gobbling it down again in a couple of days. Offer a range of foods, let her pick and choose, and don't make a big deal of it if she doesn't eat much.

Good luck x

My daughter was very much the same - used to just about be in tears of frustration trying to get her to eat something other than jarred poridge or one type of jarred food. That little mouth clamped shut..hmmm obviously still a bit peeved about it after 3 yrs...;-)

Maybe try some finger foods - well cooked pasta/scrambled eggs/avocado/sweet potato chips (baked) etc and maybe she will feed herself a bit. They often start to get a bit grumpy about being feed around 9/10 mths.

Agree with Pickle - they won't starve themselves. (But it is hugely frustrating at the time)

Good luck!

Thanks Pickle and MG,

the thing with her is,she fed her self slowly but well at around 7 months since I stared BLW and then stupid me went back to puree because I was concerned about the quantity and now my LO does not even try to pick things up and put in her mouth.not very keen on lumpy food either.May be texture of my food is wrong:-$oh god I dont know....

I gave her some bits of toast this afternoon and she ate a bit when i fed her but she wont even hold it in her hand.I dont know why.So I am clueless as to how to give her finger food.

Please try not to worry - my friend's daughter went an entire week without solids at 12 months old because she was poorly and only wanted to breast feed...I was so glad to know about this when we went out to Spain for 3 weeks with baby C at 10 months old as she pretty much went back to breast feeding like a new born and gave up on solids for the first 10 days or so (the heat I think)....she then started to eat a little bit - mostly cereal with fruit mixed in, and since we got back she's been eating really well.

BUT, whenever her teeth are playing her up she goes right off everything apart from fruit and yoghurt - and we don't always see any new teeth as a result - they can be moving around/bothering them all the time, so there is a good chance this is what is up with your little one.

Keep offering her bits and sooner or later her appetite will pick up again.

Molly

x

How could have I forgotten the old "if all else fails, there's always yoghurt" advice?!?! That's the one thing my daughter will eat no matter what. But of course not the fancy organic no added colour/flavour/sugar variety, only Thomas the Tank Engine will do (silly me for buying some for my son, once she saw it there was no going back!). Ah well, much cheaper than the organic ones anyway :-$ To think my son didn't have anything like that until he was over 2 - my parenting approach 2nd time round is quite different!

So with you Pickle on the difference 2nd time around - my eldest didn't have sweets or anything for a long, long time, where as Baby C doesn't miss a trick, and pretty much comes 'begging' when she sees us or her sister with stuff, and of course big sister loves to feed her Smarties, Ice Cream etc.

Ah well, I figure if I get enough healthy stuff into her as well it all pans out in the end (like eating cake doesn't count if you've walked twice around the park first - ha ha)!

Molly