dogs off leads petition

Eileen

I have to agree with Alan here, if I am out running on the common and get attacked by a dog am I within my rights to defend myself by all means possible? ie to prevent getting bitten can I pick up the nearest heavy object etc

As for Keef's point, the common land is for the enjoyment of all people not just dog owners.

I think we can safely say that just as an individual is responsible for their child's behaviour, so they are responsible for their dog's behaviour. This is not the same as saying that a child is equal to a dog. Obviously. You sound deranged.

Kingtubby

That's entirely different, if you were attacked then its perfectly reasonable to defend yourself! I like dogs but if one attacked me of course I would defend myself. If however a dog gave me unwanted attention that wasnt of the "attacking" variety eg joined my picnic uninvited I would tell it off! I dont believe it reasonable to resort to violence in such situation.

Alan

Why say nothing? Why not tell the dog off and ask the owner to call the dog away?

This thread has taken a crazy Tony Martin/Texan vigilante style turn for the worse! To be honest I am more afraid of nutters like these roaming the park waiting for an excuse to kick a dog than dangerous dogs themselves. Get a grip please!

K-Tub,

If a dog sinks its legs into your thigh, then I don't think many here would object if you used any means at your disposal to get rid of it.

But the same doesn't go for a dog sniffing around your picnic hamper and running off with a pickled egg.

Blimey - this is all rather heated. I have been following this thread all afternoon and I must say that I think that certain people?s attitudes to dogs are despicable! I often walk a friend's dogs and trust me, if they were simply to run past someone and then were kicked I would have no issued in reporting that person to the police.

I agree that dogs should be kept under control, but keeping them on a lead in a park? Perhaps people who are that worried should stay at home, wrap themselves in cotton wool and never eat hot food ? just incase they scald themselves!

If you?re ?attacked? by a dog or a person, you have every right to defend yourself and I see no problem in doing that. I think you should define attack Alan Dale ? does this include brushing past your legs?

I find it quite rude that you?re saying dog owners are lonely and insane. Dogs are lovely animals and I wouldn?t chose to own one myself, as I don?t have the time. I would suggest that people who are labeling dog owners take a good look at themselves before casting aspersions!

Alan, you are surely a wind-up merchant. Nobody could really believe what you're saying. You sound like a lonely insane old man to me - whereas the pro-dog people on here are coming across as rather more well-balanced, reasonable people.

Perhaps you should get a dog? It might help you ;-)