dogs off leads petition

Eileen

Well Alan you are determined to stir the proverbial sh*t aren't you? Your "link" to a shoot-to-kill article about a farmer and a stray dog worrying his sheep is entirely gratuitous (also irrelevant to the issue at hand and irksome to boot).

All right-thinking people would do well to grab a copy of the local paper this evening - the council has admitted to being wholly wrong in its erection of signage without due process being observed. Hooray and a big slobbery happy dog lick to all who signed up to the petition.

As to balls - is that the mark of a "real man"? Balls to you mate.

ChavWivaLawDegree - For the record, I am a lover of dogs, generally speaking, including staffie types (I love their stocky bodies and like to kiss their smiley faces), but nonetheless, I stand by my right to judge a dog, at least in part by its owner. Therefore, sadly, the jury is still out for poor old Hannibal.

ChavWivaLawDegree - Is your dog Hannibal named after John "Hannibal" Smith, leader of The A-Team or Hannibal Lecter, the infamous cannibalistic serial killer? My guess is the latter and if so didn't you think that calling a dog after a killer gives off a certain impression? I may be wrong and you've named it after the Hannibal who's famous for crossing the Alps with elephants but as most people know Hannibal Lecter, the twisted, psychopathic murderer, surely calling that name across a park does not install a feeling of loving warmth amongst those in earshot?

This is a tough one.

1. Dogs need to exercise and run around. The owner also has the right to walk with his pet if kept under control (lead not a necessity).

2. They must not encroach on the the general publics / non-dog owning space or safety.

3. Dangerous dogs need to be better controlled / policed.

4. Failing to exercise dogs properly can result in agressive behavior

5. Is keeping a dog in London such a great idea anyway?

I see both sides here, but dog owners as a whole need to brow beat their thuggish element into toeing the line to prevent the majority suffering for the minority.

Personally, I wouls like to see a license scheme brought into place for all pet ownership...

"dog owners as a whole need to brow beat their thuggish element into toeing the line to prevent the majority suffering for the minority"

Totally agree with most of your points Tom but why are good dog-owners responsible for "browbeating" bad dog owners? Are good drivers responsible for making bad drivers behave? Are decent football supporters responsible for policing bad ones?

And what form will this "browbeating" take exactly? Are we to put them in the stocks? Denounce them ceremonially? Throw rotten tomatoes at them?

Actually, I will admit to being a 'brow beater of bad dog oweners'. For instance, for those who fail to scoop, I use my my school marmish, slightly patronising voice and say something to the effect of "Well, aren't you going to pick that up?????"(before running away at speed). And when I see some pathetic individual who has bought a dog she/ he clearly cannot control, I use the age old slow head shake and rolling of the eyes technique. I have also been known to say to whomever I am with, in a much louder than necessary voice "that poor dog, poor poor dog".

As satisfying as this may be in terms of my feelings of self righteousness, I suspect none of it works.

>

> Totally agree with most of your points Tom but why

> are good dog-owners responsible for "browbeating"

> bad dog owners? Are good drivers responsible for

> making bad drivers behave? Are decent football

> supporters responsible for policing bad ones?

>

Yes exactly. I know everyone is scared of being shot / stabbed for looking at someone the wrong way, but i make it a point of speaking to anyone for driving like a twat - or on a mobile. I will explain to people very clearly & simply if they are being racist / bullying why this is not acceptable. I will go into the street and stop the local lads charging up and down on their scooters by reasoning with their better judgement - which normally they have.

If you are non agressive, clear and reasoned, 99% of the time you get a positive agreement. Agression breeds agression. Most people know when they are being arses, and gently bringing them up on this is not something to be scared of.

Actually Ednerd - I suspect you make things worse.

Patronising from a distance is a really easy way to rub people up the wrong way - particularly people who already feel persecuted or marginalised.

When did failing to pick up your animal's poo, (or purchasing a dog on the basis of looks rather than temperament and subsequently being unable to control it), mean an individual is persecuted or marginalised?

Tom - from the drippingly patronising tone of your posting, I remain to be convinced of your ability to make others see the error of their ways any more than I am able.

Mark - He was called Animal wen i got him at 9 months old, but I felt a bit of a t**t shouting animal all over the park, and was worried some perv might interpret it as an invitation, so after discussing this worrying issue with another doggie fan, decided on Hannibal, cos it sounded similar enuf to Animal not to confuse him so he is named after the Alps/conqueror guy (more than the cannibal), although he's not actually conquered much to date.

Well I'm guessing that no dog owner is referring to the Huguenot methode because you secretly know it's right.

So to take one further step, what is it about dog owners that makes them believe that enslaving a wild animal (with limited grasp of what's going on around it) is alright?

Don't ducks go 'woooo mammy' to the first thing they see? Isn't the 'sit' command just a wierd pack/tribal thing? Isn't the 'man's best friend' thing just a reflection of an incapacity to deal with the unpredictability of the real thing? Controlling something that's weaker than you doesn't make anyone a better person.

C'mon kids - terminate the dogs (quickly and painlessly) and have real friends.

;-)

Ok - that one got deleted, but CWALD, you could have chosen Percival, Arthur's most loyal knight, with a similar sound form. But you didn't. You chose Hannibal, with all the fear that goes with it. Because everyone know the reference to the elephants?

Am I the only one who is picturing CWALD dripping in Argos Gold - B. A. Baracus style - and Hannibal the bike-riding cigar smoking staffy ? ED Soldiers of Fortune. If you have a problem and if you can find them? :)

No? Oh well please yourselves.

What I dislike, and I'm sure my posts over the months would attest to this, is bullying.

Owning a dog which looks like a killer dog, and naming it after a union leader that has a similar name to a mass murderer smacks of getting off on a technicality.

Staff or not, murderer or not, owning a dog like this is the same thing as bragging about slapping posh kids. I find it unacceptable. I suspect that those that wiggle their way through the testimony know it too, and every moment we empathise we fuel a peculiar egotism. None of us should accept this.

Brendan- As my brother predicted, all that book-lernin did me no good. I seem to have morphed into a chavvy eco-warrior/political activist. I also prefer silver to gold, sorry. Hannibal doesn't smoke, cos its bad for his health, but I draw the line at making him eat veggie dog food.

Incase you think I may not even be chavvy at all, I've got 4 (very loud and hyperactive)kids to 3 dads, a 5 month old granddaughter from my (married) 19 yr old daughter, a toyboy younger than my son, live in a council house and every 2nd word out of my mouth when I'm drunk or animated is a swear word. But I'm a very nice person really.

Huguenot - Get over it, the world is a scary place (except, so it seems, East Dulwich). I hate bullies too, but there are more ways of bullying than just physically. I grew up in a very violent area and had 2 younger brothers to protect so instead of being a victim I had to learn to fight. And for the record I actually said scaring condescending posh kids, not slapping them. I have never hit anyone who didn't hit me, my family or my friends first and I lost as many fights as I won, because it wasn't always 1 on 1, I am just someone who finds it hard to eat shit or back down from bullies, including up their arse, middle-class, moralising petty little Hitlers who love rules and laws restricting everyone elses freedoms because they have never got over their childhood fears of others.