Heck! Raw eggs and pregnant ...

EmmaG

Morning everyone

I went to the Herne for dinner last night and rounded off a delicious meal with three dollops of icecream. Woke up with a thought this morning that a) does the Herne use raw eggs in its icecream b) I'm 7 months' preggers c) is that dangerous for the baby?

Baby's been pretty quiet this morning ... arrrrgggghhh.

I know there's no point worrying now: it's too late, but I can'thelp it.

Hi there,

I know there are meant to be risks with raw eggs but just wanted to reassure you that I had loads of Mr Whippy ice creams plus used to eat raw cake mixture absent-mindedly AND pastry when pregnant and my son is fine...I'd have thought at this stage you'd be fine, sure others will know more about this though.

These days our eggs tend to be salmonella free, especially the lion eggs. I ate peanuts, Mr Whippy, Mayo, Sushi and the rest througout pregnancy and my baby boy is absolutely fine! I think they put these guidelines so we don't go OTT on them especially since we have cravings and can eat LOADS of the stuff, but I still ate whatever I wanted. I would not worry about it.

Hiya, at your stage in pregnancy risk is to you not the baby. Your immunity is lower than usual so you are more susceptable to food poisoning, hence the advice not to eat things that are a higher risk of food poisoning.

In the first three months, the risk is that food poisoning can cause miscarriage ie a serious risk early on but far less so as the pregnancy progresses.

I am 7 months too and although still careful nowhere near as much so as I was earlier on!

THank you so much - really appreciate all that info and advice. The babster seems fine as do I. I have to admit to having had nuts galore throughout pregnancy and fairly rare steaks. Have avoided sushi and mayo but it didn't cross my mind that icecream might be full of raw eggs until it was too late. Thanks for the Guardian article!

I ate everything (literally) whilst pregnant except for raw or cured meats. Never had a problem with the sashimi, peanut butter, eggs and (whisper it) the occasional glass of wine/champagne and all kinders are fine. I just wouldn't eat these things from a Moto or Little Chef and as Lorraine says everything in moderation.

nuts are fine, although they say avoid peanuts if you have allergies / asthma etc. That said, I have asthma and haven't stopped eating peanut (not that I eat much, just in food and the odd slice of peanut butter on toast), peanuts have never given me any trouble and I am sure my baby will more likely be allergic to nuts with no exposure than some!!

Each country is different, and has different recomendations. We went to both Sweden and Norway in my first three months and they dont avoid shell fish or raw fish there!! Alcohol on the other hand is an absolute no.

we recently went on holiday and I called NHS direct to check out what vaccinations we should have and what I could have. The answer was none.... they also recommended I avoid salad, fish and fruit!! Not a lot else left to eat where we were going!!

In the end I used common sense! Ate fish given it was far fresher than the fish here - all cooked the same day it was caught, avoided shell fish as usual and did eat fruit and salad just peeled it first and stuck with bottled water even though the tap water was apparantly safe. I also had the odd flute of Australian sparkling wine - or "champagne" as the Fijian's referred to it ;-)