Best Mattress for Cot?

I have been given a very lovely cotbed but I need to replace the mattress ( which was an expensive one from Mothercare and has already shown signs of damage after just one year!).

I am unsure which is the best mattress to get because the ones from Mothercare does not seems to last and I want a safe long lasting mattress for my son since the cot converts into a bed also. He likes to sleep on his tummy also so it needs to be firm.

Does have anyone have any personal experience of a good mattress for their little ones?

Thanking you in advance.

Both of my kids sleep on matresses from Mamas and Papas - my son's in now nearly 3 years old and isn't showing any signs of wear at all, so we're really pleased with them. They're nice firm matresses and both kids seem really happy on them (my daughter is a tummy sleeper).

I spent a fortune on a mattress from PurFlo, was worried about the baby puking and lying in her vomit which this one is particularly effective for, as well as being dust-free. However, my baby has never puked in her cot, plus didn't even go in the cot bed until 8 months old and I've found it is not that firm so it wasn't worth the splurge - new parent anxiety! I also considered one of these NaturalMat mattresses - may even upgrade to this once we turn the cot into a bed as they look much more firm. They are made from natural fibres, not latex like most mattresses.

Thanks for that Pickle, I checked the website but it does not seems to do it in the size I require, their sizing is quite different!

Lorraine, I was actually looking at the purflo and was going to get it after reading about it but then I decided against it as Mr Heidihi won't sleep in a gro/sleeping bag at all and the purflo works better if they are in a sleeping bag.

I did also like the idea of the naturalmat but I want to hear from people who have used them as I don't believe in reviews ( I always think they are the business people themselves posting!) it would be nice to have someone recommend a good mattress so I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Amazing how having a baby can make us first time parents ummmm and ahhh over simple basic things like a mattress!

Yep avoid the Purflo, it's too saggy, but it is very easy to wash. I think it's good to regularly be able to clean a baby's mattress. It doesn't trap any dust either. I don't think it will be any good when my daughter is heavier, it will just sag. I can't believe it cost more than our stroller!! Also it's one of those baby purchases that you probably won't be able to shift on ebay as everyone wants new mattresses for their babies. Hopefully I can pass it on to a friend.

I think I'll get a Naturalmat, they look really solid and will last until they are much older. If I do get one, I'll let you know. Not likely to buy for a year or so though - will put it on next year's xmas list for the grandparents to buy probably!!

I got the top of the range Mothercare one about 5.5 years ago - can't remember the name now, but it is the one with the special air flow system and the zip off washable cover. Now on baby number 2 and as good as new (and was used for sleepovers in between babies too) - firm, no sagging or anything.....neither of my girls were sick babies and didn't have leaks from nappies at night either, so don't know whether this helped but it really is still perfect.

Odd that the one you got with the cot bed is in such a bad way.....not heard of problems with their mattresses before - might be worth feeding back to them you never know!

Molly

Did you have a mamas and papas cot to go with the mattress as the sizes on their website is different to the cot I have and the mattress size.

Molly, Mothercare has gone downhill in the quality of their products, I bought some maternity wear and baby clothes, they were thin and fell apart after a couple of washes, for the price they charge I would expect a bit more. I have foam mattress for the crib from Mothercare and it just looks so cheap even though it is not and the mattress that came with the cot has the springs nearly ready to pop out and it is an expensive one. I prefer Jojo's quality and they fit properly also!